• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrapin 'Slope Distance' Question

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I have an email out to the vendor I bought the Terrapin from as well as Vectronix about this, but wanted to see if someone knew this offhand.

First off, this thing is beyond impressive. It spoils you in both the clarity and the fact that I can get repeatable readings off of objects I would normally not be able to use for ranging. Something really close obscuring your view some of the time? Set the gate feature to not pick anything up under whatever distance you set. It even ranges 3 different things at a time if you use the feature. Save your pennies, this thing is it.

While going through the manual it came with, the only distance reading it mentions is what the manual calls 'Slope Distance'. I've seen on here before that the Terrapin should measure LOS distance and not take any angle into account; yet the term Slope Distance confuses me as I would take this to mean it is incorporating any upward or downward angle into the distance to compensate.

Does anyone know is this is the case, or is this just a weird term they use for actual LOS distance that would then still need to be adjusted if the angle is significant?