• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrapin X

Tony1320

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
For those who have a Terrapin X how do you like it? Are you having any issues?

What makes it worth the extra amount over other options today?

I love mine! It returns very accurate yardage every single time and immediately the firing solution is on my Kestrel. A lot of rangefinders claim a lot of capabilities but in my experience they will only range half what they claim or less. My Terrapin has been flawless out to 2500 yards so far. I haven’t had occasion to try to use it any further yet

Reactions: Fig
I have only used mine for a short period of time. when I got it, It seemed a little weak to me. It didn't seem as strong as my previous terrapin and PLR15. It was bright and hot out and was ranging foliage, so I will give it another run and see. I am going to set it up beside my buddies PLR10 and compare them side by side.
They are definitely not as powerful as the PLR10’s and 15’s

Reactions: sobbarry
I had one. Really liked it and the functionality was great. One con of the unit is the one button operation. I really wish they had 2 buttons to separate operations.

I ended up selling because I decided for the kind of money that unit costs, I’d prefer a LRF bino unit.

I have one, it’s a good laser but I’m having a hard time falling in love with it.

Ergonomics with one button or ?

Getting one next week.

I came from the Sig so the size is one problem, single button takes some getting used to but it’s really a non issue. I’ve had a hard time finding a decent carrying case for it.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I came from the Sig so the size is one problem, single button takes some getting used to but it’s really a non issue. I’ve had a hard time finding a decent carrying case for it.

I had this carrying case for it. It fit perfectly, just had to take that divider out which is Velcro and easily removable.

I like mine a lot. It’s much less work to get an accurate range than the other LRFs I have used, and the Kestrel integration is very useful. My pre-stage prep is now to sketch the targets, then hit them with the TerrapinX, look at the Kestrel, and write down elevation & wind.

My only complaint is that Bluetooth sometimes gets messed up, and I have to cycle it on both the TerrapinX and the Kestrel, which would suck on the clock, like at SHTC.

I have a buddy who went with the Leica 2800.com over the TerrapinX due to size. He had an older Terrapin and is satisfied with the performance of the Leica.

I had this carrying case for it. It fit perfectly, just had to take that divider out which is Velcro and easily removable.

I went with the same case and it fits so well, I’d actually forgotten it didn’t come with it.

Reactions: Stag556
I like mine a lot. It’s much less work to get an accurate range than the other LRFs I have used, and the Kestrel integration is very useful. My pre-stage prep is now to sketch the targets, then hit them with the TerrapinX, look at the Kestrel, and write down elevation & wind.

My only complaint is that Bluetooth sometimes gets messed up, and I have to cycle it on both the TerrapinX and the Kestrel, which would suck on the clock, like at SHTC.

I have a buddy who went with the Leica 2800.com over the TerrapinX due to size. He had an older Terrapin and is satisfied with the performance of the Leica.
I sold mine in part because my particular T-X dropped off BT repeatedly and I could not get a Kestrel read. It happened to me enough that I sold it and bought the 2800.com. The BT functionality of the Leica with the 5700 is much more consistent in my experience. I really wanted the T-X to work because I have owned several Vectronix units in the past and they are fabulous.

Ive had very good readings with mine, like others mentioned the one button op is an adjustment but Im used to it now and have no issues.

@Tony1320 - hope you dont mind me asking a Terrapin question here, but does anyone know if the Terrapin X is recoil rated? Has anyone mounted it to a weapon or tripod setup? If so, any issues? thanks!

Ive had very good readings with mine, like others mentioned the one button op is an adjustment but Im used to it now and have no issues.

@Tony1320 - hope you dont mind me asking a Terrapin question here, but does anyone know if the Terrapin X is recoil rated? Has anyone mounted it to a weapon or tripod setup? If so, any issues? thanks!

Thanks for the input

No problem at all. Looking to get feedback of the Terrapin X so all info is welcome

Reactions: TangoSierra916
Have used mine a bunch. I love the accuracy and the angle correction feature for yardage alot.

Only down (and in team matches is a big down) is its super slow. I just cant go click click click to range different parts of target or ground and I find it way way harder to hit the plate over the old terrapin.

I wish the aimin point was more precise. That was the huge plus of old unit.

I like the 8x tho.

Overall like it but with Vortex and Sig coming out with Badass RF binos that cost less, its going to be hard to keep (currently own Steiner 8x RF binos).

My setup for matches I don't need to be on clock thou, the T-X and Swaro 15x is very hard to beat. (Pic is old RF which I sold due to no warrenty. loved that thing)

RF BINO.jpg

Regards,
DT

I like your setup D_TROS.

Have used mine a bunch. I love the accuracy and the angle correction feature for yardage alot.

Only down (and in team matches is a big down) is its super slow. I just cant go click click click to range different parts of target or ground and I find it way way harder to hit the plate over the old terrapin.

I like the 8x tho.

Overall like it but with Vortex and Sig coming out with Badass RF binos that cost less, its going to be hard to keep (currently own Steiner 8x RF binos).

My setup for matches I don't need to be on clock thou, the T-X and Swaro 15x is very hard to beat. (Pic is old RF which I sold due to no warrenty. loved that thing)

View attachment 7065658

Regards,
DT

I like the 8x tho.

View attachment 7065658

Regards,
DT

Which plate is that on bottom? RRS cinema plate or cheap amazon one?

That’s the last piece I need for my similar setup.

This looks like the best thread to post this... Has anyone else had an issue with your terrapin sending readings to a kestrel?

Customer service for the terrapin is a joke / 0% help. I was hoping someone could confirm whether you have the same problem:

1) With the kestrel off, range a target with the terrapin
2) Turn on the kestrel immediately after and allow the terrapin to connect to the kestrel via Bluetooth
3) Range another target with the terrapin
4) Confirm whether or not the readings were sent to the kestrel

This seems to be the sequence that causes the issue. It happened a few times during a match (turned the kestrel off between stages to save battery and forgot to turn it on before ranging a target). To fix it, I have to turn both the terrapin and kestrel off for an extended period of time. FWIW, if I have the kestrel on before I “wake” / turn on the terrapin everything works as expected.

love mine. had the leica and the sig. this one is much better at ranging than the other two. It is bulky and dose eat batteries a bit more than the others. Plus that 123 battery is a bit harder to come by depending on your location. but for the price compared to the PLRF 15 and the like its a good unit for the $$.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e70.jpg

I have many LRF's and this one stays in my pack along with the Bushnell Engage 1800 or Kilo2K as a compact backup.

I have the PLRF-05/10/15C as well and the ranging capabilities on those are much better but the Terrapin X gets me for 99% of the ranging needs I have in practical ranges and enviroments. When I prep for ELR I carry my 15C or use some Vectors.

I have shot some field matches where linking it to a Kestrel was nice but you have to "game it" by making sure they are linked up as you approach the stage. Making sure both were on and on right page was usually all it took.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6