• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vectronix Terrapin

I really don't. I thought that it would be a concern but it has not been a issue. Having said that, I have been hearing that some folks have been using the Swaro doubler. I don't have any of the details, but I'm very interested in seeing how it is done

Do I wish it had a bit more? Sure, BUT, I've never had it fail to ring up small steel targets at ranges that I can hit consistently. I'm sure the guys shooting .338's on up at crazy distances on small targets might want more, but for a lowly clod like me, it does very well out to the typical ranges of the .260's, .308's, etc... Just my opinion, and I'm wrong a lot.

I like the 5X mag. It offers great field of view.

The optics are actually very good in the terrapin, so you don't need any more mag.
What is better?
5x that is crystal clear
or a foggy 8x?

5x all day long

I like the 5X mag. It offers great field of view.

The optics are actually very good in the terrapin, so you don't need any more mag.
What is better?
5x that is crystal clear
or a foggy 8x?

5x all day long

I'd take a crystal clear 8x over a crystal clear 5x all day long.

OP: As others have said, more mag would be nice, but it's not really needed. You'll forget all about the slightly low magnification when the LRF gives you a good return on anything you aim it at, regardless of range.

If it's any consolation I sold an 8x and went with the 5x terrapin and haven't regretted it a min in regards to LRF's however I have been tempted to sell it a few times only because I've seen to many other things I could buy with the money. But in the end I've kept it every time and is probably one of the best purchases I've made yet on gear!

I'd take a crystal clear 8x over a crystal clear 5x all day long.

OP: As others have said, more mag would be nice, but it's not really needed. You'll forget all about the slightly low magnification when the LRF gives you a good return on anything you aim it at, regardless of range.

Couple Q's for owners:

Hows the Vectronix Terrapin handle when beaming through twigs and limbs between you and a distant target?

Any idea on the amount (mm) of eye relief, can you easily see a full field of view while wearing glasses?

No comment on the glasses, but in regards to ranging through twigs it isn't a problem. Turn on the multiple range feature and it will give you ranges to the distant target still instead of just ranging the brush.

I've just received my Terrapin. The 5x does not seem to be an issue as long as I've got it on a tripod. We used my buddy's Terrapin to last a 24"x24" steel plate a 1 mile.

I just ordered some parts to be able to mount my Terrapin and my Leupold MK4 spotter on the tripod and have them slaved to the same target. Here it is mocked up. The Terrapin is on a pistol grip ball mount so I can make minor adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_1342-2013-11-29at12-35-23.jpg
    IMG_1342-2013-11-29at12-35-23.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 18
I thought I would as I USED to have a Swaro 8x LRF, but I gotta say, I kind of like the 5x. There are occasions when I'd like to zoom-in on something, but it isn't a deal breaker. Even with the 5x, I find the Terrapin to be more precise in being able to range small targets than my old Swaro's. I think once you use them, you'll understand.

Ry

I wouldn't mind a little more magnification but the thing I really wish the terrapin would do is have less time between solutions. It would be nice if you didn't have to wait the 5 seconds or so after you get a reading to be able to range again.

I'm fine with waiting a few seconds for a laser that reliably reads beyond the effective range of any rifle caliber on sunny days where plenty of other brands stumble and faceplant

I'm fine with waiting a few seconds for a laser that reliably reads beyond the effective range of any rifle caliber on sunny days where plenty of other brands stumble and faceplant

I hear ya. I'll gladly wait but that is the only thing that I can think of that would be an improvement. That and maybe a 7-8x but that's lower of the two things for me.

VS. Im still using the Bushys which I like but I would buy a Terrapin in a heartbeat if it had a bit more mag and quicker on the readouts. Really more mag would be my primary. After using my Fusions and Jons Terrapin at the SH cup this year. I noticed, I would find the targets with mine and then range with Jons just to be sure. It was much harder for me to locate the targets using the Terrapin at 5x vs the Fusions at 10x. An 8x Terrapin would be a nice compromise.

VS. Im still using the Bushys which I like but I would buy a Terrapin in a heartbeat if it had a bit more mag and quicker on the readouts. Really more mag would be my primary. After using my Fusions and Jons Terrapin at the SH cup this year. I noticed, I would find the targets with mine and then range with Jons just to be sure. It was much harder for me to locate the targets using the Terrapin at 5x vs the Fusions at 10x. An 8x Terrapin would be a nice compromise.

Yeah for sure. For the comps and stuff the Bushnell binoculars work well just because you don't have to carry two things and most of the ranges aren't past the capabilities of them. I know how hard it was to locate targets at 5x as I forgot my binoculars at the Cup.

Anyone know where a Vector can be had? I have called every place I know of and they seem to be sold out and don't know when the next shipment will arrive.

NWA Tactical in AR has a 21 for sale, think its listed on GunsAmerica.

Ther is used 21 on Armslist as well.

Last edited: