• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Velocity and recoil

yes

... well if we are leaving the projectile caliber and weight the same then yes
equal and opposite reaction -
physics stuff

A lot of variables in this question.

You can get more velocity with a longer barrel and get no more recoil. Or less felt recoil with a heavier rifle while getting more velocity. Or lighter bullets will produce higher velocities with less felt recoil.

But from the same length barrel and same weight rifle, same weight bullet, more powder=more pressure=more velocity=more recoil. Usually.

Thanks for the replies?
I want my 10 year old to be accurate with his 7mm08 youth rifle from Weatherby.

I feel that the managed recoil by Remington won't be enough for deer , I just don't know

I loaded up some 120 Nosler BT using the Hodgdons youth loads for my twin daughters when they were 12 years old. At 2600 fps they are effective to 300Y (1000 ft lbs), they both took Antelope at just under 200Y and 110Y. This was a 7x57, but pretty much a ballistic twin to the 7-08.

Here is a link to the loads, http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf

with those loads you can also use the rifle with full loads and the trajectory is the same out to 300, so you dont have change the scope zero much.

Other than that, try the 120 gr Federal fusion. They are clocking 3000, so 1000 ft lbs at 500Y, with about 9.6-10 moa of drop at 500Y depending on where you hunt (altitude)

Federal Fusion Ammo 7mm-08 Remington 120 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box

edit,

If you have enough meat on the barrel for a brake, those work. Just have to have the barrel threaded and the brake installed by a smith. I would not recommend porting, just because you may not need the porting all the time, and both are FREAKING LOUD!!!!. Just use proper hearing protection.

My girls are now 15 so they shoot a braked 308 with no issue.

Last edited:
Either a clamp on style or turn down and thread the end of the barrel and install one. The second must be done by a gunsmith.

This is my 12 year old daughter and the .270 Win she will be shooting for elk season this year. Note the muzzle brake on the end of the barrel. It makes a .270 kick like a .243.

If you are really paying attention, you will also notice that more recoil also coincides with more torque on the rifle.
Newtons law on the spin side.

I would recommend 223 or 22-250 for a ten-year old. Accuracy trumps everything else. Put a bonded bullet in the boiler = enjoy life-long memories without a scope-eye.

7mm-08 can be finicky to find a load, it kicks like 308 but delivers less bullet and energy - and who care about BC at 130 yards?

I know nothing about loading ammunition, I buy factory. This youth 7mm08 has a 9.5 twist , 20 in. Barrel
Scoped. I'm looking for a full load that my son can shoot accurately . He did good with managed recoil ammo , muzzle velocity 2361 140 gr. ,i don't want to take a chance with hunting .

What about 120 gr. @ 3000. 140 gr. @ 2800 or muzzle velocity @ 2770 , oh and factory trigger weight is -/+ 3 lbs. I'm teaching him not to flinch , keep eye on target and slow and steady on trigger. Thank you all for the help.

He is driven, he wants to master everything, he is just light framed.

I have him outfitted with tools to take injury out of the equation.

The 7mm. Is 7.2 mm, 308cal.or 3006 is what I shoot, it is 7.8 mm. Sd. For 140 gr. Is 248. 308 150 gr. Is 226 Sd

I thought this would be good for now and when he gets older. For me, I want to try out a solid copper with 150 gr since it is almost as long as a 168 gr lead core.

Whatever you do make sure you use hearing protection for everyone near a muzzle brake. Shoulder bruises heal in 3 days, hearing damage is for life. I hate muzzle brakes.

Velocity and recoil

I would just go with two boxes of the 120's. One for him to get used to the report and the other to hunt.

In the middle of your training session load in an empty case for him without telling him. Helps if you are single loading the rifle. Just to see if he is still flinching.

Another method is for him to pretend he is burning the target with the reticle. Stare at it with intent. This helps to concentrate on the target and not anticipate the recoil.

Velocity and recoil

I single load each shot standing on the right of the shooter. after about 4 shots, take one of the fired cases and stick that in. Same shooting regiment just don't let him see. If he is jerking the trigger or anticipating recoil it will be very obvious. Also helps him with trigger control.

Sand sounds like a game changer and I guess it wouldn't affect the integrity of things ?

Just unbolt the recoil pad, fill it with sand, one layer of masking tape, trim the tape, bolt the pad back one.

I've done it several times to either reduce the recoil or to balance longer rifles (or both). Makes big difference.

What OFG said up until a couple of years ago all I used for deer was a 22-250 with 55 grain bullets if he can shoot it accurately and put the bullet in the vitals a light load for a 7-08 is more than enough. Enjoy as they grow up fast.

OFG and 308gunner you both are correct !!!!

Last year we had a hunting range of 80 yards, my boy took a doe at 60 yards with a 243 sst that we borrowed, first time out, he's a natural.

This year on the same land we have opened things up to 200 yards, food plots etc.... and big trees to shoot between into another field .

.....He did good with managed recoil ammo , muzzle velocity 2361 140 gr. ,i don't want to take a chance with hunting ....

Not really taking a chance as this load is almost exactly the same as a 150 grn 30-30. And that has killed more deer then all others combined.

OFG