• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

velocity estimate

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
Has anyone clocked a 155 scenar over 47.1 grains of varget in a winchester .308 case seated to 2.810 out of a 5R? My skyscreens are broke on my Chrono, so I can't check my velocity of the loads I have been working on. I got real good accuracy with this load, and I didn't have any pressure signs. I could probably go higher,but if this is getting me 2900+fps.

Re: velocity estimate

My 26" Hart barreled 308 shot 155's @2930fps. 70deg weather with 45.9 grn Varget in Lapua brass coal of 2.800".

I would think you should be in the 2900+ range.

At 47+ grains of Varget, your velocity should be at least 2900+ fps.

I run 46.5gr of Varget in a Lapua 308 Win case topped with a 155 Scenar and chrono 2900fps on the dot with a 24" Bartlein barrel.

if you have a cloudy day, you don't need the sky screens if that helps.

I meant to clarify that it is a stock rem. 5R

@ captain, you are right, I have been looking for a big cloud for the last 3 days, but no luck. Maybee tomorrow afternoon.

my 26" savage topped 3k with A-Max 155's and 45ish varget in virgin lapua brass Now that they are formed the capisity is 2 gr higher.
I think I just got a fast barell. chrono'ed not WAG speeds

strange thing is that this charge it the tightest of all the charges I have worked up with the 155's, but it point of imapact is 1 moa lower than my 175smk load at 2640fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I meant to clarify that it is a stock rem. 5R

@ captain, you are right, I have been looking for a big cloud for the last 3 days, but no luck. Maybee tomorrow afternoon. </div></div>

lol conditions are always opposite from what we want....

oh, and rain is passing us from West to East tonight and for the rest of the weekend. Maybe it will hold for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strange thing is that this charge it the tightest of all the charges I have worked up with the 155's, but it point of imapact is 1 moa lower than my 175smk load at 2640fps. </div></div>

Inside 300 yards (or so) barrel harmonics have more to do with the POI than does velocity.

Cloudy day today so I got to chrono my load.

47.1 varget
155 lapua scenar
Win. case
FGMM primer
mv 2835
es 20
sd 09

I loaded up some more with 47.5 and got 2875fps., but I haven't tested how they group.