• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Velocity Reticle

BORG_888

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Bothell, WA
I'm curious to know what the general consensus of this NF reticle is. NightForce claims that this unique 'Velocity reticle' is the solution for the hunter wanting to place accurate shots to 600 yards without sacrificing the speed and ease of use of a traditional hunting reticle.

Is the jury out on how this optic would stack-up against more traditional reticles when used in a sniping environment?

A possible downside that I've noticed is that the magnification must be cranked to the max, i.e. 10x in order for the hold-over markings to be accurate. This is somewhat like a SFP scope needs to be at its max magnification for proper range estimation.

Would you consider this reticle for your engagements out to 600 yards, or go for something else?

Thanks guys.

Re: Velocity Reticle

I tried to cut my "precision" teeth with a Leatherwood ART-MPC scope in the 1980s. That SFP system used the zoom function to externally adjust elevation for the trajectory, by bracketing a known/estimated size target in the reticle. 16" between them at 200 yards and beyond, about 18" if you wanted to calibrate it for meters. AFIC, that's the ONLY way to put a SFP variable scope into use. However, I learned that if you didn't have/take the time to zoom and bracket, you were somewhat lost by not having any reference points for holdover, and those would be off anyway if you had them (maybe memorize them for min and max zoom, since those two places tend to be where we spend the most scope time.

Otherwise, FFP is the only realistic way to have/use a ranging reticle. I've just seen too many errors from forgetting to have the scope set at the "right" magnification.

If you are willing to work within those limits of a ranging reticle tied to a SFP system, go for it. Me, I know my weaknesses and try to behave accordingly.

Oh, the Leatherwood system was "smart" enough to include reticle subtensions for almost all the "landmarks" on the reticle...duplex distance, reticle thickness for thick and thin, and the smaller distance between the thick part of the duplex and the ranging line. I sometimes used the thick part of the reticle to "bracket" or completely cover target features smaller than the 12" and 16" gaps on the horizontal crosshairs.

I have a Low Velocity reticle 2.5-10x32 scope for my FNAR. I thought a lot about it, but the bottom line is that the LV reticle matches the .308 so well that i could not pass it up. You can plug in the numbers from 147gr to 178gr and their velocity out of a 20" barrel and it is within a 0.25MOA all the way to 600 yards.

I put it to use after installation and it performed flawlessly. I also like the fact at 300, 400, 500 and 600yards you have windage holdover for 5mph and 10mph wind. Also, you dont have to use the BDC reticle if you dont want to. If you have zero'd at 200yards as directed, you can just dial in whatever elevation you have on your elevation dial.

I am not saying that it will work on a 12" 308 barrel, but i think for normal velocities and based on which caliber rifle you want to install the scope it can work out great. I put up targets at 200, 300, 450, 550 yards, and you can shoot those targets so much faster without having to dial or remember the specific "MOA/MIL come ups". Needless to say that all my other rifles have the NPR1 reticle on them. But for the purpose of the FNAR which is more of a battle rifle 308, i think it fit the bill.

P1000937.jpg

P1000941.jpg

I have a 2.5x10x32 with the velocity (low) on my ar10 for pigs and beavers. I like it very well. While not an exact precise hit like my npr2's it is extremely fast for moving targets and close enough for kill shots. Pigs and beavers are not exactly large targets either.