• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Venezualan mauser

Wrencoforge

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2019
Hi, not really a sniper rifle but certainly vintage.. figure here is as good a place any to find what I need.
I was given a Venezuelan mauser barreled action. Not in a condition to be collectible but should make a good shooter and that’s my intention.
I just need to know what stock will fit it? Is it pretty much a standard mauser 98?
From what I’ve been able to find it is a postwar carbine, barrel is under 17”. The bolt doesn’t match and from I understand should have a curved handle.
Caliber should be 7x57 mauser.
So any info any one has would be helpful, but mostly I’m trying to find what stock it will fit? Does anyone know is it a standard 98 action?
Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• 1939A410-2E12-4C24-8847-0520E24E83FB.jpeg
    1939A410-2E12-4C24-8847-0520E24E83FB.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 145
  • B7C30DCB-533E-48C4-B107-BF48F9311B54.jpeg
    B7C30DCB-533E-48C4-B107-BF48F9311B54.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 97869CFF-64D3-4560-AC4F-EDEBBD4E0433.jpeg
    97869CFF-64D3-4560-AC4F-EDEBBD4E0433.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 162
Reactions: crackerbrown
Thanks for the responses!
For any who find themselves with a Venezuelan barreled action in the future, here is what I found.
The Venezuelan action is the standard large ring mauser 98. I ordered a stock off eBay for a Mauser 98 and it fit up nicely. Actually it required a bit of work with a chisel and dremel, but I’m guessing that’s due to the stock not being made precisely, and that a better quality stock would have fit right off the bat. Get what you pay for and all…
Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Hi, not really a sniper rifle but certainly vintage.. figure here is as good a place any to find what I need.
I was given a Venezuelan mauser barreled action. Not in a condition to be collectible but should make a good shooter and that’s my intention.
I just need to know what stock will fit it? Is it pretty much a standard mauser 98?
From what I’ve been able to find it is a postwar carbine, barrel is under 17”. The bolt doesn’t match and from I understand should have a curved handle.
Caliber should be 7x57 mauser.
So any info any one has would be helpful, but mostly I’m trying to find what stock it will fit? Does anyone know is it a standard 98 action?
Thanks, Justin
Boyds makes some pretty nice stocks. And, when they do them, they are pretty much drop in. Agree with the above it's an FN -30 which is a year not a caliber/cartridge. And, yes, 7x57. It should take a standard model 98 stock. NOT an intermediate stock like a YUGO M48. I've heard people get confused on this before. Just because the barrel is short doesn't mean the action is short. They are full length Mausers. I won't hurt to give Boyd's a call and verify.
Another stockmaker is Richards microfit. They typically require more handfitting to get the action to seat right. But, I like their styles. It's not hard if you take your time and use some stock inletting black. Kind of like dykem blue for machinists. Coat the bottom of the action and remove where black on the high spots in the action recess of the stock.

Thanks for the responses!
For any who find themselves with a Venezuelan barreled action in the future, here is what I found.
The Venezuelan action is the standard large ring mauser 98. I ordered a stock off eBay for a Mauser 98 and it fit up nicely. Actually it required a bit of work with a chisel and dremel, but I’m guessing that’s due to the stock not being made precisely, and that a better quality stock would have fit right off the bat. Get what you pay for and all…
Thanks again, I appreciate it!
You need to remember that a tree is a large water pump. Timber dimensions can change, due to differences in humidity between the supplier’s location and the customer’s location. Whenever we fit new timber windows to a house we always have to plane down the sashes (same with French doors). If the joiners fail to prime their work before sending it out the door, that adds a couple of millimetres just by itself.

One example of timber movement occurs when you make (or commission) a table with glass insert. In that case, you ALWAYS cut the hole first. You could leave it slightly undersize, to allow for distortion but you have to cut the hole first.

Have fun, keep your chisels sharp; and cut the wood instead of yourself.

Reactions: sandwarrior

If curious to see what a Venezuelan FN Model 24/30 Carbine looked like originally, see attached. The rear sight identifies its as a Model 24/30 Carbine.
Apparently they had sling swivels on bottom and on left side of stock. Source: Mauser: Military Rifles of the World, 5th edition (2011), by Robert W.D. Ball.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 67
If curious to see what a Venezuelan FN Model 24/30 Carbine looked like originally, see attached. The rear sight identifies its as a Model 24/30 Carbine.
Apparently they had sling swivels on bottom and on left side of stock. Source: Mauser: Military Rifles of the World, 5th edition (2011), by Robert W.D. Ball.
If you ever want a fun, easy shooting cartridge, the 7X57 is it. Plenty of power and not much recoil. Also vey ballistically efficient. That's when loaded to normal pressures. Can't load them up like .308 based cases. Too much taper and you'll fight brass ever after if you do.

Reactions: ZG47A