• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VEPR Hunter 7.62x54r- Gettin' Itchy Here

5hans5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
CT
I've been doing some looking around for CT legal 7.62x54s and came across the VEPR series of rifles. They come in a traditional AK format (16, 20, 23") and a 21" hunter model with a standard looking stock. I'm a lefty so the standard thumbhole buttstock is not great for me, but upgrading a standard VEPR's trunion, buttstock, and likely the forearm (for a consistant look) would run me upto and beyond the Hunter model.

So- anyone have any experience with these, especially the Hunter? If I didn't go with the Hunter I'd want a 16" or 20" carbine. Anyone wanting to get rid of your hunter model??

I'm figuring that since the surplus remains "reasonable" that it might be time to jump and stock up. let me know your take on them or any alternate semi-auto 7.62x54r's that would pass the Connecticut AWB. Thanks.

Re: VEPR Hunter 7.62x54r- Gettin' Itchy Here

Thanks for the info. That's about the going price I've been seeing ($899-925 inc. shipping) for the standard ones.

Anyone used them?

Id love to get a vepr 7.62x54 but that single stack 5 rounder kills me. If they can find an adapter of sorts id jump on it like white on rice...

Atlantic is saying that they expect to start getting 10 and 20 rounders soon.

Review I read on another site said that it was like a better-built version of a PSL. If you want that sort of a rifle I'd jump on them right now as they won't be imported forever. Get some extra mags and a scope mount too if you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Review I read on another site said that it was like a better-built version of a PSL. If you want that sort of a rifle I'd jump on them right now as they won't be imported forever. Get some extra mags and a scope mount too if you can. </div></div>

Don't concern yourself with shit Russian side mounts. Texas Weapons systems will have complete picatinny rail covers (which are direct fit replacements) for these eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Review I read on another site said that it was like a better-built version of a PSL. If you want that sort of a rifle I'd jump on them right now as they won't be imported forever. Get some extra mags and a scope mount too if you can. </div></div>

IMO VEPR is better than any K-var Saiga and Saiga's are pretty nice.

It's a nice weapon. I've got a PSL and really enjoy it...but I bet the vepr would shoot circles around it. The Russian 30-06 is a hidden gem.

There is a 27" barrel VEPR
Vepr-V54R.27-01.jpg

Is the added barrel length worth it?

I have a standard VEPR in 7.62x39 and I absolutley love it. The quality is top notch and its a great shooter. I can't speak for the hunter models but I'm sure you will be happy with whichever VEPR you choose. Good luck

No, the issue with super long barreled AKs is the barrel whip becomes pretty extreme unless you've got a very heavy barrel on there. I know lots of people who have cut down their PSLs and VEPRs to shorter lengths and gotten better accuracy out of them.

That being said, I've handled all 3 calibers, and they are very well made rifles, better than the SGL series by a long shot.

So all I get with the longer barrel is more vorticity/energy to punch the steel core of the surplus into what ever I am shooting?

When I was shooting steel core surplus through my SVT40 at my AR steel swing target the steel core didn't penetrate the target but the steel core did not deform the core either at 100 yrds.
Do not try this as when the target was swinging it would bat the core back at me. They make a strange sound when the fly back at you.

I have a Vepr 7.62x54r, it is accurate enough, and I have had good luck with my Vortex PST 1-4x on it. It is pretty fun to shoot, the cheap ammo is around 3 or 4" at 100 yards, with the "good" stuff it shrinks up to about 1.5". In good hands this rifle is able to do some good stuff, as with most AK pattern/style the issue is scope mounting.

I have found that generally speaking for weight and what you get, the dumb cheap russian scopes work just fine. It is quite fun to shoot, and very cheap to shoot.

IMG_20120521_150742.jpg

Next to a PSL, they both are pretty good at what they do, definitely fun to shoot. I think the rubber eye pieces on the scopes get you at the proper eye relief to avoid paralax and get your lined up to that weird eye level being the scopes are up high. The other benefit vs over the top mount, which are fine, is you can co-witness the iron sights.

As to the stock changes, I don't think ACE is making an adapter yet (they had the old VEPR for RobArms but those are not the correct ones they told me on the phone) they told me they were working on one. So when it comes to stocks, you are kind of stuck with what you have. The hand guard on the VEPR screws into the gas port on the bottom, not sure how you can make other handguards work but I imagine there is someone who can.

The magazine is a narrow thing too, of all the things I would change that is easily the one I wish I could do, it is not easy to load the magazine. Nor is it fluid easy to insert into the receiver.

I like them both, you will be happy with the VEPR, it is actually pretty and has a way thicker barrel as to the PSL. I need to put a muzzle brake on the VEPR and it would be perfect fun, don't expect bolt action accuracy, just expect lots of smiling fun.

Ive been looking at one of these over the last month and from what I have gathered everyone that owns one seems to like them. Im torn between one getting a VEPR of burn up some 54r with the nagants or a standard AK in 7.62x39.