• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Versa-Pod Loading

Absit

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2012
DFW, TX
I know there are a bunch of versa-pod threads out there but very few mention how they load. I'm interested in how the newer ones compare with a Harris since they seem to be on the same price point, especially regarding ease of loading. An Atlas is out of my budget presently, if there's anything else in that $100 price range that loads easier and especially that has a pan feature like the Versa let me know, thanks.

I don't know if they have changed but they were kinda loose and "floppy". I lost a gun off of a bench once years ago when it was on a versa pod.
I might have a good used Harris since I switched to Atlas PM me if your interested

I have all three, Versa, Harris, Altas

The Versa-pod is easy to load as there is play in the legs; however, as Speak has stated they are sloppy and the rifle may tip over when you have it resting. It has its advantages if you are hunting as there is no friction or restriction from panning or canting, just you have to reset your position accordingly. Also they detach and attach very quick and easy.

The Atlas is a fine instrument, and loads excellently. It moves back to its original configuration and is stable. I like that it has a low profile when folded and the options to deploy out to 45 degrees for a lower stance.

In the end the Harris is a workhorse. Quick deployment, on and off without an issue (just a thumbwheeel). Stable in rest position, easy to cant(best with podlock). In the field I use a Harris and bogpod. For fixed targets prone off the harris, moving on the bog pod (tripod).

I actually have a Harris with podlock right now, just exploring other options as I've noticed the Harris sucks to load. Regarding the Versa being floppy, have you tried the models with the finger adjustable tension on the cant and pan? Seems like that might solve the issues, and if it loads, it might be a winner for me.

Have very little experience with the Versa pods,but you can buy a friction lock for these and old type AI bipods to take away the slop.
Never was a fan but others use them with success.

I already had the pod, so I just rough cut a piece of steel as an insert. It restricts the amount of cant, but prevents it from tipping. About 15-20 min with a dremmel to fit it. As for the friction units, I have not seen or used one.

The insert is in there, just my krylon job makes it difficult to see it .

Last edited:
Also if you have a spigot type of adapter out front of your stock, the versa pod does really well. I installed one on a tikka stock. Here is a vid link to some of Thomas' vids. He uses the versa on a Blaser rifle. If you check his vids you can see loading on flat and inclines.
http://youtu.be/GGcb8LAYyko