• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Vertical dispertion problem

Rthur

Philomath
Minuteman
  • Apr 16, 2010
    Not Chicago, Illinios
    Just lookin for some help on improving my vertical. Any help would be appreciated.
    300yrds
    308 RRA LAR 8
    DSC00442.jpg

Re: Vertical dispertion problem

not being humorous..........when powder charges are not consistent...or a slow barrel....one gets vertical stringing.....

its chiseled in stone

Could be an ID10T error too. This is sometimes the result of poor cheek weld or rifle driving, though with the windage being as tight as it is, Bolt's advice would be my first place to check too.

I guess ID10t= idiot, thats probably the main problem here. The windage seems to always be like this, but the verticle doesn't get below 2". I have a chrono on the way maybe th sd is accounting for some of this. Rthur

I guess the fact that you are using Fed GMM is lost on a few here.

Either you updated your post or I just realized you are shooting a gas gun.

Try single loading rather than from the mag. This will force you into individual shot setups rather than trying to make one setup work across multiple shots.

This will also make the rifle recoil the same, not differently on the last shot with holding open on an empty mag.

9h I usually load 6 and leave the last one in the mag after 5 shot group. Next time at the range I'll give it a try. Rthur

Rthur,
    It is not uncommon to have vertical dispersion due to poor bag handling, scope issues or inconsistency in torque for your action screws. I seem to run into the problem more frequently with a bipod than bags. Considering that you are using FGMM you shouldn't run into bullet seating depth issues either. Good luck.

I'm also wondering if my inconsistant cheek weld plus poor parallax setting could contribute?
    Rthur
    BTW shooting a gas gun RRA 308 varmint

Vertical Stringing is a component of Breathing issues, Cheekweld issues, or shouldering the rifle in anticipation of recoil. The question is, did they string down in a straight line or, a mixture of up and down ?

Parallax is usually responsible for so called "fliers" and rarely go in a straight line, however, a scope being incorrectly set for the shooter can cause shadow either at 12 or 6 'O clock which will cause a vertical component

Rifle wise a poor barrel will help this, a barrel too thin that heats up can also cause stringing usually in a poorly made rifle.

Thanks for the help gentlemen, I think I'll go back to lesson 1 and work my way through trying to improve my basics.
    Rthur

Just turn the target sideways...and blame it on the wind
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viersco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anneal your case necks to make sure they are all consistant in seating tension. Do this before you size the cases.

Dave </div></div>

Dave, you just suggested that he anneal loaded ammo as he is shooting FGMM
    smile.gif

That would definitely (permanently) solve the vertical stringing issue (LOL).