• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vertical grip questions

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
When it comes to standing, kneeling or prone with a sling, how does the vertical grip (i.e. McM A3) compare to the traditional profile grip (such as a sporter stock)?

Just about ready to commit to a stock, but honestly I still have questions about whether I would really like a vertical pistol grip or if I will go with a traditional profile.

Most of my shooting is prone, but I grew up shooting garands and enfields so I am used to the tradition grip profile.

I currently have a hogue on the rifle, which I find fairly comfy, but shooting prone off of a bi-pod I find myself grabbing the bottom the grip in order to get my wrist straighter. Hence the interest in the A3.

But shooting from a standing position I use a high elbow, and I am concerned that will be uncomfortable.

Re: Vertical grip questions

I personally find it more comfortable in every firing position. Takes getting used to if you've been on a sporter most of your life.

I find it makes it easier to pull straight back on the trigger. And if you normally shoot with a loose grip and rest your thumb on the top near the tang, you should like it.

Normally I am a tight grip, thumb wrapped around type. (Jeff Cooper would kick me I am sure)

Ill admit that wile I thought that a more sporter type stock would be more comfortable, after trying some factory remmys with hs stocks, I prefer my vertical grip hs stock on my savage.

I was wondering about this as a lefty, b/c I am worried about slicing my left hand thumb as I work the bolt with the right. I think this might be a solution for a .338, since lefties are very rare...

Just got my first Manners T4 to replace a HS Precision PSS. This is the most comfortable field stock I have ever used. The verticle grip is great. Just ordered another T4 from Manners.
Just my .002. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

I was in the same boat, had always hunted with sporter/hunting style stocks. Last year I got a Manners T5 and I think the same as RotARy15. The straight back trigger pull is probably the most important. Most of my hand would be off of my old stocks to shoot with the grip I now use. Don't be stuck in your old ways, try a grip that allows a straight back trigger pull. I did and its starting to help, better than I used to be and still working on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally find it more comfortable in every firing position. Takes getting used to if you've been on a sporter most of your life.

I find it makes it easier to pull straight back on the trigger. And if you normally shoot with a loose grip and rest your thumb on the top near the tang, you should like it. </div></div>

I've found with sporter type stocks, you have to hold the stock too tight to get a good enough grip. With the more vertical/pistol grip, you get a better grip without having to put a death grip on the stock. It makes it easier to push the stock back into your shoulder without having squeezing the stock. It also allows a more "straight back" trigger pull like has already been mentioned.