• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vertical stringing

I get that, everyone will have preferences. I have a whole bin full of bags from homemade rears built 20+ years ago, TAB/Triad rears, PU rears and a half a dozen other randoms. I can shoot every bit as acculturatly with a Smedium game changer filled with glass than I can with any of those other rear dedicated bags. In fact, I think I shoot a little bit better due to the weight there is less shift in body movement.

I have competitive guys come through all the time with Chris Way and Riflekraft stuff. We have a lot more showing up in class too

We see verticals from them, they pull the rifles and why they use weighs to hold the front down and prevent stuff people are talking about

Competition scars are real, and you’re not as precise nor accurate as you think. In fact I slowed a top guy down last month he was peeling off the gun so fast he was moving things, increased his hits.

Comp people are sloppy

A top level PRS match shooter couldn't shoot my unbraked .308 with any degree of precision, and this guy helps train people to shoot (or did at the time).

It's very easy to get lazy with your fundamentals with braked 6mm's - you can get away with a lot more than with say an unbraked .308.

I agree, comp scars are very real. I notice that I also get sloppy if I shoot too much 6mm, because your flaws don't show up on target.

Unless their flaws allow for vertical inconsistencies, such as breathing and rear bag management.
Respectfully, not buying the theory based on the consistency of the pattern. Just doesn’t added up to me but who knows. That being said, I do respect the opinions of those that have done this much longer and more in depth than I have.

If you are using a bag that's better suited towards props (ie gamechanger, tater tot, etc) it can induce vertical stringing as I happened to find out first hand this past Monday. It's possible to shoot tiny groups, but it's not ideal. From here on out, shooting for groups at 100yds, I'll be using my dedicated rear bag for such tests.

View attachment 7995417

Bags like the GC don't provide any way of really controlling the rear of the rifle.

This issue may not really manifest itself with a 6mm and shooting from a half decent position. I bet I could shoot a 1/3 moa group or better with just a balled up fist with my 6BRA if I had to. But as recoil goes up, you'll start to find that lack of control becoming more troublesome.

I've tried shooting using a fortune cookie and mini fortune cookie through a variety of rifles and cartridges. You can certainly get it to work, and you can get away with a lot with something in 6mm flavor. But they are not ideal rear bags.

It'll work. Ive had success using my tater tot shooting small groups. It's not ideal as I've come to see nor is it repeatable.

You know what i used to shoot my 338L, 300WM, 300WSM , Buddies 300NM and 7-300?

A shmedium game changer with heavy fill. The 1 MOA steel past 1K/1M didn't know I did not have a "dedicated rear bag".

You know what i used to shoot my 338L, 300WM, 300WSM , Buddies 300NM and 7-300?

A shmedium game changer with heavy fill. The 1 MOA steel past 1K/1M didn't know I did not have a "dedicated rear bag".

No one is saying it can't be made to work.

But works != optimal.

Reactions: lash
No one is saying it can't be made to work.

But works != optimal.

Non logical. Have a whole bin full of every type of rear bag at my disposal. If there was ANY perceived advantage, it would be used instead.

There is none. Even the big ass cadex CX-33. Try it, you may be surprised.

Non logical. Have a whole bin full of every type of rear bag at my disposal. If there was ANY perceived advantage, it would be used instead.

There is none. Even the big ass cadex CX-33. Try it, you may be surprised.

For me and many others its not optimal. Like you, I have a whole bunch of bags in my gun room at my disposal.

If it works for you, then it works for you. My experience doesn't cancel yours out.

How long were shots apart… how long was round chambered before firing. What was the ambient temp of air. Where was the ammo prior to firing

Was first/last round top or bottom.

Finally got time to read the article. That makes a lot of sense. I was using the pint-sized game changer. I've got another bag like he talks about from undgerground precision I'll try this weekend. I really need to make time to take a class. I'm sure it'd be money well spent.
Itcc be will def be money well spent, IMO, and lots of challenge and fun. Go for it!