• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Very Early Sub Shot

Re: Very Early Sub Shot

Looks like Civil War era? Can anyone tell by the pattern how many stars are on the flag?

My first thought was it was the Hunley until I saw the flag at the stern.

yeah nice call it even has the bell on the forward mast as in the drawing.

Yah I would have said later than civil war. Construction of the hull was too advanced for civil war era. Looks like pretty advanced metal work there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are some very brave men to ride around in that thing. </div></div>

Thats an understatement LOL - awesome old picture.

I have never seen a picture of the USS Holland of any others from that time period. Thanks for sharing. MM

I'm not a Navy guy but that sub looks to be the size of a modern torpedo. Definitely took some nerve to crew one of those.

In 1905 Theodore Roosevelt became the first U. S. president to take a submerged ride.

He was so impressed with the hazards and hardships of the duty that he instituted submarine pay for crew members.

Not only dangerous to crew those but look at how low in the water the two "battleships/gunboats?" in the background are riding.