• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Very little mention of Mk4 4.5-14x50,Why??

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
I've noticed in my quest and searches for a new scope that the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 is not mentioned very much. Is there a short comming in this scope. Seems to me that this would be a popular power range in a proven line. Also has alot of MOA travel.
Like to hear from those who know this scope.

scout1

Re: Very little mention of Mk4 4.5-14x50,Why??

The scope you mention is a great scope to own for long range shooting.I have one but have owened three and they perform great.Some people need the bigger price tag so they go with Nightforce,but ive had good results from my leupold scopes so far.I dont see anthing wrong with the 4.5-14x50 in mildot or tmr reticles,illum or non illum ive had them all.They do i fact have 100 moa in adjustment for elevation.Great scope in my opinion.

I have one. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a well built scope. It serves the purpose very well. When compare to the Nightforce, one can arguably say that the optics on the Nightforce is slightly better. JMHO

As some you know I've been asking alot of questions about scopes lately. Many of you have givin your time answering them for me. Thank you. I'm trying to cover all the bases. I live in a very rural area that does have these items to play touch and feel.

It seems that I heard somewhere that this scope has its reticle calibrated at 10x instead of its highest magnification. Anyone know for sure?

scout1

Great scope and very versatile with the TMR reticle. I use mine for both hunting and LR shooting and only once during a match was I wishing I had more power. If you are planning to use it for shooting small targets (e.g. prarie dogs at 600yds) then a higher power optic would be a better choice.

I had one, only complaint is that I only got 3mils per rev of the turret. That's 3 full turns out to 1000m from a 100m zero. It has no zero stop so it's very easy to get lost if you are not careful. Aside from that it's a great optic for the price and it's lightweight (relative) makes for a very good hunting option.

Rath

I have the 4.5-14x40mm LR M1 with TMR on my SPR rifle and am very happy with it. Ill be ordering the 4.5-14x50mm illuminated TMR for my remmy 308 when it returns from tornado tech.

I have that scope with the TMR reticle on my M14 and haven't had any problems. The reticle is really nice for ranging and with a little practice you can usually get between 5 to 10% error.
myerfire

I've shot that scope in our long range matches (1K)for about 9 months - served its purpose well - great scope for the money - the minimum I would put on one of my rigs. But I sold it to pay for a USO - wow - now there's a scope!

I got to play with one at the last school I went to. It's a very nice optic.

I am contemplating getting one, but I keep thinking I should hold out and save for a USO SN-3 since I would really like to have FFP AND an Illuminated Reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one, only complaint is that I only got 3mils per rev of the turret. That's 3 full turns out to 1000m from a 100m zero. It has no zero stop so it's very easy to get lost if you are not careful. Aside from that it's a great optic for the price and it's lightweight (relative) makes for a very good hunting option.

Rath </div></div>

Seems I read of a way to "rig" a zero stop for this scope.

Anyone know???

scout1

There used to be a member here that sold plastic washers of varying thickness and when inserted under the knobs it would bottom out and act like a zero stop. Not sure if he still sells them though.

Just hang on! Leupold is coming out w/ all new stuff in the tactical line; Mil-Mil and ffp!

I rigged my own zero stop by marking the turret at zero and drilling a 1/16 hole in the turret, next I glued a 1/16 pin into the hole,now I have both a visual and tactile zero stop. I am very happy with it, it is completely reversible easy to do and has been working great for two years. This mod only works on the m1 turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just hang on! Leupold is coming out w/ all new stuff in the tactical line; Mil-Mil and ffp! </div></div>

Are they not already here? More to come? I do believe the one I looked at was FFP, at least it says its a ER FFP, priced at $1400. 100moa adj. M1 dials. TMR.