• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vhitavouri N133 & Hodgdon H322 Too Fast for AR-15?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I just started reloading and decided to try Vhitavouri N133 and Hodgon H322 for use in my AR-15 shooting Sierra #1400 53 grain flat base bullets with Winchester brass and Remington 7-1/2 primers. The previous case ejects fine, but 20% of the time (most often last case, but not always), the next round is not fed. When the trigger is pulled, I get a hammer click, but find there is no round in chamber. The loads I am using are from the Sierra manual for the AR-15. The barrel is a Krieger, 22" long. Gas system appears tight with no leaks. Mags are 20 round P-Mags, with false bottom to limit to 10 (I am in CA).

Details on loads I used.

Vhitavouri N133: 22.4, 22.6, 22.8 grains. Max according to Sierra is 24.1.

Hodgdon H322: 23.0, 23.2 grains. Max according to Sierra is 25.2.

If this post is better suited for the Semi-Auto Forum, will post there, but listed here, since factory ammo fired in advance of this reloaded ammunition did not result in any problems. Some have suggested the bolt was running dry by the time I got to the reloaded rounds, and the bolt did look a bit dry, but operated manually OK.

I have Reloder15 and Varget on hand if I should try that.

Phil

I would say it is a gas issue or buffer/spring issue rather than a powder issue unless it is a too low of load.
I could be wrong, I have both of those powders on order but have not used either yet.

I use Vihtavuori powder in my AR all the time, your loads are a little on the light side. Your Sierra manual will show the most accurate load Sierra had, was with 23.5grains of N-133 (20inch barrel), while the max is 24.1 for the load data listed (federal brass). I would suggest you start at 23.5, as this is a known safe load in an AR (also the most accurate powder for the 52-53grain bullets as tested by Sierra) and work up if necessary. I've found 23.5-24.0 really delivers. Hope this helps. I've come back to this thread to add, use a high grade gun grease-buy a can if you don't have any, it'll last "forever", Lubriplate was mil-spec for the M14, works when wet, and can be found at Brownells, good stuff.

Last edited:
I have used N133 on my AR10. Don't care for the accuracy I get out of it, but the bullets definitely hit the target at 300 yards! +1 for Pawprint2's suggestion.

I would make sure that your bolt and bolt carrier are lubed well. Also, I would load a little more powder as suggested. If you are running a carbine buffer, you can play with different weight buffers to get the gun to cycle like you want it to.

Sounds like it is short stroking it'll go back far enough to reset the trigger but not grab another round. Your loads are probably light.

H322 is kinda like AA2230, when I used that for 223 I used 24.5 grains for light bullets and 23 for 69s.

I load H322 with 52gr Nosler CC"s for practice ammo runs in space gun and service rifle. My load is around 24gr I believe.

I shoot 24.3 grains of n133 behind a 55 grain nosler and it shoots less than 1/2 moa in both my AR's. JVON

Vit 133 will work just fine. I have a stash from my benchrest days. I'd bump up your load a tad. With the .223/5.56 pressure will not show up until your on the edge looking over. Watch closely for the signs. Good luck, J

The N-133 is my goto when I can find it .
Now I ' Don't ' prefer the H322 . & I have shot it . & I prefer ' H-335 ' over it any day .

Vihtv. N-133 It's my 1st choice on my 3 AR15 user powders of H335 & Alliant 10x . & is some good clean burning powder & gets good gas on the system also . It shoots great in 16" barrel & I had a long barrel 24" AR that just loved it .

Vihtiv. - N-133 w/ 52 grain sierra's bullets @ 23.5 grn .

H-335 - 26.0 grn. w/50 to 52 grn bullets

Alliant 10x - 24.0 grn. w/ 50 to 52 grn bullets .