• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vias brake on a 300winmag?

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Anybody have experience with these brakes? I know they are big in the BR community. Im looking for something to put on my 300winmag. However I do not want to blow my ear drums out, or my neighbors at the range.

Re: Vias brake on a 300winmag?

They are excellent brakes in terms of overall recoil reduction, but as with any brake, the concussion and noise are increased somewhat (remember, perception is in the eye/ear of the one perceiving it). The forward-facing holes of the Vais allow it to create somewhat less noise and "back blast" than other brakes on the market, but you still get a perceivable increase over a non-braked rifle of the same caliber/barrel length. The biggest problem I have with the Vais brakes is that unless you have a ground cloth or shooting mat that covers the muzzle area of the rifle when you are shooting prone or kneeling, they will blow up dust/dirt unlike other brakes on the market that don't have downward-facing/360deg blast ports.

My gunsmith makes his own brakes, using cutoffs from bartlein, krieger, and broughton barrels etc. They look identical to the Vias. So I can have him make me one, but not put the holes on the bottom. Is that a good solution? Or should I be looking at some other brakes? There are so many brakes out there..I dont even know where to begin.

They're actually making one for my Remy 700 300WM as we speak and I should have it hopefully sometime early next week. I'll let you know how mine turns out after I get it.

I've had on on my 300 for 2k+ rounds , yes they work great, the guys next to you will hate it, and the open bottom sucks (kicks up way too much dirt. But i can watch impact from 100yds and out easy.

What Pat said--

Get a suppressor if you can--lengthens/softens your recoil impulse and doesn't abuse the guy next to you.

I have one (Vias) and they are excellent however no way in a prone situation....

have a harrells as well and it's great...not prone

have a thruster and could not be happier. It is fantastic + prone your good to go

All the above 3 work fine, so if you go prone you need the correct one...
good luck

Had a Vias on a lightweight 30-06 and it shot like a heavy .243win. A real pussy cat to shoot.

Don't forget the ear protection. And I wouldn't recommend it for a hunting rifle.

I've put many Vais brakes on 300WM's and every customer has said the same thing, they make a really big difference. One thing I like a lot is that although they are still loud, the forward holes allow some of the sound and blast to go forward, so it's not quit as loud as some others. The only other brake that I think is more effective is the FTE by Badger.

Good Luck,

JamieD

The Vias brakes work well, especially on the lighter contoured hunting rifles. The Elite Iron Max-Tac brake has been rather effective for the heavier barrelled rifles.

As others have said they work great. I shot a buddy's sporter weight .300 WSM with one and it really tamed it. If you do plan on shooting it prone go for something without bottom ports though. It will give you a dust bath.