• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibram Five Fingers

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Just got a pair of the Komodo LS, Love walking in them.
Now in my current ACICS I run around 2-5 miles per day
I ran .8 miles yesterday in the 5 fingers and my legs today feel like I just ran a marathon.

Barefoot running takes time to get used to, but holy cow this is going to be a slow learning process.

Re: Vibram Five Fingers

U have to change running technique. No heel strike.Weight distribution changes and the center of gravity is more forward.
Got to learn to run on the balls of the feet...takes time.

My calves feel like footballs after every barefoot run, takes a while to get your body used to the different stride and mechanics of your run. Definitely dont have issues with shin splints anymore.

Took me three weeks to get completely used to them. Now I hate running in "normal " shoes.

I wear a pair of New Balance Minimus to workout and run. I will never own another pair of athletic shoes again. I absolutely love them. They're not quite "barefoot" shoes but they definitely take some getting used to. I used to do a lot of weight training but have switched to cardio based SEALfit training over the last 4-5 months. My legs have gotten MUCH stronger due to the different muscles used with these shoes.

Merrell has a pair of minimal shoes and they offer a training program that takes the user up to a month just to get their body accustomed to running a mile in the shoes.

I picked up a set of Reebok Realflex, which is also a minimalist shoe for running. They are awesome. Same deal, you have to work your way into the shoe. They say the first day you run, do 1/10 your work out. Then just keep adding to it each day and you'll be fine. What happens is they use and develop new muscle in your feet and body, and if you don't go into it slow you'll mess things up big time.

xdeano

I like the five fingers too! Super comfortable. Mine are getting pretty old now so I very well might need to get another pair.

Got a pair of bikilas and komodos. Man I love them. Once I got used to them, I could run my timed 1&2 miles much faster. They murder my calves thought. My knees, hips, and shins don't hurt after runs with them. Mine are getting a bit worn out. I want to get a pair of sprints, but they don't sell them here in the states.

I love mine. It takes a while when first time used it, but at the end feels great.

I have a pair of the Vibram Speed's, and they are the most comfortable shoes I own. Had them for about 6 months, but only just started running in them, sure is a steep learning curve

It took me about 3 weeks to get used to wearing Vibram Five Fingers. I love it because it's super lightweight and very comfortable to wear. I suggest you read "Fundamentals of Barefoot running"(I forgot the author, just Google it. It's a very informative book. Lots of tips and other stuff. Here's the link - http://bit.ly/tMBjub

Good luck!

I guess Al Bundy was right after all.

608a.jpg

Vibrams are cool just get ready to wash them all the time. If you try to wear them anywhere other than a trail or gym I would make sure it's not going to be hot outside.

I have some merrell barefoot and vffs. I tend to wear the vffs more casually and the merrells to run and workout in.

put about 20 miles on mine last week mostly dirt road and sand, another one to look into is the merril free runners

Im a firm believer that minimalist shoes are the way to go. All the guys in the office are in five fingers, merrils or the new balance minimus ( which is what i have) and the overall consensus is less injury and once you relearn how to run more efficiency and a better overall running experience. It does take time and commitment to adapt to them but in the end its worth it.

I can't get myself to buy one. They look gay.
whistle.gif

you got to transition to that type of shoes a little slower...i.e. walk with them first, jog at shorter distance and softer terrain, then gradually pick it up....it may take a few weeks or more to make the change

Ran a 5K in the mud this past weekend and many people had them and ran just fine in the mud. They seemed to work pretty well.

how do your feet feel when you step on a rock? Is there a rubber sole to them? I have only seen pics of them, nothing in the real world. They take a lot of used to just looking at them, let alone wearing them! Are they comfortable?

^^^Depends on how sharp the rock is. It can hurt. I have gone to a shoe with just a little bit more rubber so it can take the edge off of hitting a rock just right.

Have been using VFF's since they came out. It does take a while to get used to them. As far as the rocks and such, you get used to once your feet toughen up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musicman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still waiting for them to make em in 15 but until then I just run barefoot on the treadmill </div></div>

I wear a 14 in sneakers, but in the vibrams a 46. So you may be able to pull the 47

Everyone I talk to says they wear out pretty fast. Has that been your experience? What are the cheapest you have seen "minimalist" shoes going for? I'd like to try them out before I wear out <$100 in a few months. I have been running on the treadmill bare foot recently, and really like it.

Been wearing the same pair of VFF for 1.5 years and no real signs of wear on them. I picked up a second pair when I found a clearance sale for $47 just to keep as a spare pair.

UPDATE: Just finished a PFT 21:15 3 mile. Whoot!, also topped out at a 6 mile run in the Five Fingers. Progress is slow but steady.

Running in them, I have noticed that my legs "feel" stronger, and with my new stride (short and quick) I can run more comfortably.

Offroad runs are still interesting with rocks and roots poking my feet, but I love these things. Half of our Marines run in them now. I haven't touched my traditional shoes since I posted this thread.

I am thinking about getting a pair.. the only deal is that I am worried about my jacked-up toes. People's feet are like fingerprints.. everybody has their own set.. especially toes.

Anybody have any issues with toes not fitting all the way in the sleeves?

I'd recommend checking out the minimal shoes like the Brooks Pure fit or the NB's mentioned above as they still have very low heel to toe drop. I've always run on the balls of my feet (life long soccer player) so I kinda laughed at this "new" way to run. I had always had my soccer shoes, and then your basic adidas/asics runners. I assumed the toe shoes didn't offer enough protection underfoot when running offroad. Not sure, but my Brooks Pure Grits are incredible and instantly felt like an old pair of Kangaroo leather uppers when I slipped them on. They let me get my natural ball gait more quickly to the ground without any big heel getting in the way. Very cool. I recommend them. FWIW, I don't keep up with the latest and greatest in all of my pursuits any more, but apparently the Brooks are pretty popular with die hard runners.

VA: my toes are crooked as shit, the material is very soft, and allows your toes to basically touch each other through the sides. I have not had any blisters from this either.

i lift in them as well as cardio and especially like them for squatting. there is a couple lower leg muscles you dont use in regular shoes that the five finger will bring to your attention for the first week or so. i dont run long distances 2-3 miles a day so i dont know how they would perform for a guy that puts in mile after mile but for what i do they work great.

I have a pair of VFF Komodo Sport LS and love them. I lift in them and was running in them. I worked back up to distance and had no problem for several months b/c I was running 4 miles and under but taking 2-3 days off in between. As of the last several months I have been putting the miles on them and been it been great untill I started developing a pain in the ball of my left foot. It got better afet taking a day or two off then would come back. My lifting partner had the same thing going on and we both had to give up on the VFF for running. I am now in a pair of Brooks Pure Flow and the pain is gone. I need the padding.

I apparently have heel spurs which began to flare up when wearing VFF's. I love the shoes but unfortunately its a wash for me. Pretty much have to wear shoes with thicker heals such as boots or go have surgery done to have em fixed. Maybe someday I will be able to do the surgery and kick back for a few weeks doing jack shit...

I also discovered I run on the balls of my feet. I attribute this to growing up barefoot and I guess I learned to run by running barefoot for the first half of me growing up years. I never paid attention to it until this whole barefoot thing came about and the Pose running popularity. I am trying to do some running once again and am in the market for new shoes. I am leaning towards the NB minimus or the Merrel Trail runners

I played soccer all through my youth, and alway ran on my forefoot. I got older and started running distance, and found I preferred heel strike running--not for sprint/speed, just for distance.

Got a pair of VFFs and fell in love. Back onto my toes. I found, same as most people, that if you are a heel strike runner, don't expect to buy a pair of minimalist shoes, put them on, and run a 5k.

I never felt like my legs were weak by any measure, but after using these shoes for a few weeks I could feel the difference going up stairs and other routine efforts.

I was amazed at how I felt the fatigue and sorness in my thighs when I first started wearing them. I expected it in my calves, but not my thighs!

I have never owned anything other than the Vibrams, so I cant comment on the quality or performance of the other brands.

I have a pair of the Merrell barefoot shoes and they are amazing. I use them to run as well as hike around AZ. As someone mentioned if you hit a rock just right it can hurt, but you quickly learn to pay attention.

I just started jogging again. I have been thinking about this style shoe and wondering if it will help my poor running form.
I am in the worst shape of my life hahaha. I am trying to get back down to 185lbs. (I'm 5'8"). I was 235lbs about 3 weeks ago, now I'm 222lbs. I am jogging about 2 miles a day and my neck, shoulders, and lower back get sore from jogging.
I have always been a heel-strike runner but I think the impact + my excess weight is bringing on the pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started jogging again. I have been thinking about this style shoe and wondering if it will help my poor running form.
I am in the worst shape of my life hahaha. I am trying to get back down to 185lbs. (I'm 5'8"). I was 235lbs about 3 weeks ago, now I'm 222lbs. I am jogging about 2 miles a day and my neck, shoulders, and lower back get sore from jogging.
I have always been a heel-strike runner but I think the impact + my excess weight is bringing on the pain. </div></div>

Yeah it seems like these may not lend themselves to heavier runners. Depending on your build and/or body type, you may actually need some cushion to perform safely and without injury. Cant imagine the people on The Biggest Loser were using em(not calling anyone here fat, just an arbitrary example
smile.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started jogging again. I have been thinking about this style shoe and wondering if it will help my poor running form.
I have always been a heel-strike runner but I think the impact + my excess weight is bringing on the pain. </div></div>

Yeah it seems like these may not lend themselves to heavier runners. Depending on your build and/or body type, you may actually need some cushion to perform safely and without injury. Cant imagine the people on The Biggest Loser were using em(not calling anyone here fat, just an arbitrary example
smile.gif
)</div></div>

Yeah I was thinking that they may not be for me. I have a pretty muscular build, was serious about weight lifting 10-12yrs ago. When I am down at 185lbs I am about 12-15% body fat. I'll never be under 180lbs, nor would I want to be, so even then I think I would be too heavy for "barefoot shoes". I just turned 31 and am finding the weight doesnt come off as easy as it did 5-6yrs ago haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started jogging again. I have been thinking about this style shoe and wondering if it will help my poor running form.

smile.gif
)</div></div>

Yeah I was thinking that they may not be for me. I have a pretty muscular build, was serious about weight lifting 10-12yrs ago. When I am down at 185lbs I am about 12-15% body fat. I'll never be under 180lbs, nor would I want to be, so even then I think I would be too heavy for "barefoot shoes". I just turned 31 and am finding the weight doesnt come off as easy as it did 5-6yrs ago haha </div></div>

I feel your pain. My family is built like a buncha primates. Luckily, barefoot shoes aren't the only way to learn a proper stride/strike.

I have the Vibram Five Fingers KSO shoes.

I've been a runner for quite a long time, coming off a really solid pair of Brooks shoes that I used for about 150 miles.

These five fingers looked enticing; but it took me about three weeks for my feet to get adjusted to them. It's been about a year now since I started using these, and thus far my feet, even doing slight interval sprinting; still hurt every now and then. It's a good pain though.

I've noticed that my balance has improved quite a lot since I started using these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MotorTEE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Vibram Five Fingers KSO shoes.

I've been a runner for quite a long time, coming off a really solid pair of Brooks shoes that I used for about 150 miles.

These five fingers looked enticing; but it took me about three weeks for my feet to get adjusted to them. It's been about a year now since I started using these, and thus far my feet, even doing slight interval sprinting; still hurt every now and then. It's a good pain though.

I've noticed that my balance has improved quite a lot since I started using these.

</div></div>
MotorTee... are you a 3531 hahaha.. Anyways my vibrams are treating me well, i'm up to 4 miles. Working up to 6 every 3 days.