• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vid: Great White Shark Stalks A Paddle Boarder.

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qi33cBE27NI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qi33cBE27NI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Vid: Great White Shark Stalks A Paddle Boarder.

Not one "Oh Shit!"???? That guy has balls of steel...

When I surf I try not to think about that stuff. If I did I wouldn't surf. Although, I guess I won't be surfing that much anymore since I now live in Texas.

Jamie

Ummmm....not. I prefer to be the hunter and not the hunted. That guy is just nuts.

So how exactly does one stow a BAR on a 'Paddle-Board'? And a Depth-Charge, and just for backup then, a Tactical Nuke?

That is why for the most I keep my ass out of the ocean.

Damn! The turn around 1:35 is something else.

I wonder what he was thinking while all that was going on? "If I don't get eaten, this will make a sweet video!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I surf I try not to think about that stuff. If I did I wouldn't surf. Although, I guess I won't be surfing that much anymore since I now live in Texas.

Jamie </div></div>

Funny you bring that up. Let me preface that I have a shark phobia. Once you are in the water, you don't think about that stuff anymore. or atleast you try your best not to. However, I used to surf with my brother a few miles down from Santa Cruz. It doesn't help that 300 yards out, there is a stretch of land that is home to a couple hundred seal lions. I know...not smart...but it's one of the spots that aren't crowded. It's also known to have a lot of great whites in the area. Back in the 90's some guy got mauled by a great white a few miles down from where we were. At our spot there is a lot of sea life in that area, especially birds. The sea lions there are super friendly and on a few occasions would swim up to literally 2 feet away from you and pop their heads up to see what you are doing.

Then one day as we are waiting for a good set to come in, we noticed that it got DEAD quiet. I mean creepy/errie quiet. We looked around and all the birds/sea otters/sea lions were gone. You just get that REALLY bad feeling in your stomach. The crazy thing was that it hit both my brother and I at the same time. It was as if it was scripted. We paddled back in that moment but I could have sworn that there must have been SOMETHING in the water under us to scare away all the animal life. I still get the shivers thinking about it.

actually this reminds me of a documentary on natty geo about a guy who studied great whites and aggression. his conclusion was that great whites were mostly just curious about objects like paddle boarders, surfers, divers etc...

curious, and they just want to feel you with their teeth...

but seriously, he was able to get comfortable enough to swim with and touch them like you would a dolphin. i think i was gritting my teeth through the entire hour long show. F***ing terrifying

I was surfing little pipe and I was there alone. All of a sudden this big blast of water and air shot straight out of the water, about 10' in front of me. It was an f'ing whale. It was a small whale, only about 14'. However, I had one of those moments were I didn't feel good about being out where something that big could get that close.

Jamie

I saw thses guys when they got back. It was at San Onfre Camp pendleton last summer. Actually they said that they saw them the two days previous to filming this and there was 2 sharks. Me and the family was camping on the beach. I would fish, they would swim. Grunyun was spawning at night as well, I caught several small sand sharks and large batrays late in the evning. I did not let the kids go in the water till low tide and they stay on the sand bar lol. Also there was another shark attack about 2 miles up from our beach that week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually this reminds me of a documentary on natty geo about a guy who studied great whites and aggression. his conclusion was that great whites were mostly just curious about objects like paddle boarders, surfers, divers etc...

curious, and they just want to feel you with their teeth...

but seriously, he was able to get comfortable enough to swim with and touch them like you would a dolphin. i think i was gritting my teeth through the entire hour long show. F***ing terrifying</div></div>
Kinda like that son of a bitch that went up to Alaska and lived with the bears, ended up being lunch!

dont forget bout the guy that thought he could film crocs under water without consenquences.

play with fire eventually you will get burned.

That guy isn't showing anywhere near the vigilance needed to get to shore!

I've logged hundreds of hours under water and not much in the blue scares me, but a big great white stalking me would be one of them.

The water around me would definately be tinged yellow with brown chunks...

That guy was pretty calm about it, if that were me I'd be hyperventilating and screaming like a little girl.

"he just as scared of you as you are of him"....

I kept waiting for a loud scream, a shark to come out of nowhere and nose-bump or maul the board/boat/paddle.

But no, one of the longest minute-1/2 videos I've ever watched!

Maybe Dorie from "Finding Nemo" was speaking whale to the shark telling him to leave them alone? ?
wink.gif

-G45

That's crazy.I'm staying out of the ocean.

I had an encounter with a shark while diving. It was a large hammerhead. It got close enough to touch. Scared the piss out of me and my buddy. We were in the sea of cortez and it just came out of the darkness on us. It didn't seem agressive but I wansn't about to give it a hug to find out.