• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video in conjunction with spotter?

ptrlcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
Janesville, WI
I was involved in a discussion with some guys about the Ferguson riots. One issue the police encountered were threats shooting handguns/shotguns(luckily no rifles yet) at LE from a distance of 100-150yds. LE has not had the ability to ID a threat and gain enough target isolation to engage so they have not returned fire at all.

One concern that I had for a situation like this is that if a shooter made a shot and dropped the threat it does not seem that police would be able to get to that spot and secure the scene in a timely manner. I would almost guarantee that the weapon would disappear and now story is that the police shot another "unarmed" person.

We have pole cameras that would be deployed in such a situation, but there is no guarantee they would be aimed in on the same spot as the sniper/spotter team. I am looking into the possibility of adding video capability to my team for such a circumstance and because it would be helpful for both tactical, investigative, and liability reasons to video some of our normal callouts. Entry has body cams and so does patrol and I really like having it. I am thinking that piggybacking anything on the weapon is not going to be desirable so I am looking at other options. Just to give a parameter I would like to be able to positive ID weapons from 20 out to 300yds in low light conditions(not dark, think lighted city street). I am not sure if there is a stand alone video recorder that would be capable of this or if something piggybacked on a spotter would be better. Durability/weather resistance will be an issue as well as the ability to work in the cold.

So, what says the group?

Could you piggy back the cam and have a separate recorder. Like some of the bullet cams on sportsmen?

Ive used something similar to this in the past with decent results… With a quality spotting scope and a modern high quality digital camera (I use Canon 5DMIII) You should be able to get a high quality image, even at night. A lot of training on the spotters part in using all those gizmos would be paramount.

Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EKekI5fgE

I did a search for that scope adapter when I first saw that video posted in RO's thread - and I was so extremely disappointed at the price. I'm not even slightly considering it at that price. Unfortunately, in the same search, I wasn't able to find anything else like it.