• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Video Review - SWFA Super Snipers

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Here is an Interactive Video Review of the two SWFA Super Sniper Scopes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">High on Quality, Low on Cost </span>

I have to say this is one of the first scope reviews I have done where I really don't have a legitimate complaint. That's not to say its perfect, just to say, when you weigh the features, test the reliability and spend some time using the scope you're left with a very good product that has exceeded my personal expectations.

Let's start with the 3-9X42 FFP Mil Dot reticle with Mil Adjusted Super Sniper. Shortly after receiving this scope from SWFA we started in with a military precision rifle class. On the first day during the zero process we identified a couple of scopes on the Mk 11 Mod 0 weapons system that were not working correctly. A pretty common occurrence and something we pretty much expect when doing a class of this time. The difference today was I had a Soldier that was fairly well experienced and we had option that was not his standard issue. I asked him about using the Super Sniper during the training and he was all for it. A short trip later to the 100 yard line and a comment of "way too easy" , and we were ready to roll with the Super Sniper.

SH_SS-1.jpg

Now, I'm not going to get into too much detail here, but I am going to say the scope performed flawlessly all week, and trust me this soldier worked hard everyday during the course. From your standard firing line tasks to the well known Rifles Only "Run & Guns" the Super Sniper never missed a beat. We shot day, night and noticed a difference between the Super Sniper and the issue optics, to the issued optic fell far short of the qualities of the Super Sniper despite being more than double the cost.

After the class ended I mounted the same 3-9X42 on my 16" GAP AR-10, and did an additional set of tests which you can see in the video.

10X42 HD

Next I mounted the SWFA Super Sniper 10X42 HD on my short light tactical rifle that is kept down at Rifles Only. This is a bare bones type tactical rifle that has become more of a loaner rifle than anything else.

The 10X42 HD is also a Mil Dot equipped scope with Mil adjusted Turrets. The first thing you notice on this scope is the parallax adjustment is in the rear where most would find the magnification ring, however this being a fixed power scope this ring is now used to adjust the focus downrange.

I like the 10X42 HD a lot, it's accurate, durable and the HD glass really stands out especially when you consider the price tag of this scope. It clearly beats optics that are more than twice its price. It's got a good eye relief and sight picture, which I find very important and when you remove the turret caps you can see the durability build inside. There are solid brass features underneath, with a stainless steel screw holding the turret caps on. Its not cheap, its not plastic, its a well build solid scope.

These two scopes are definitely on my buy list and for optics that both list under $1000 they are not only excellent but awesomely affordable in a robust package, well featured package.

SWFA did a great job revamping the line. For more information can also read this thread and seem some member's images from their own Super Sniper's mounted. First Super Sniper Scope Thread

<object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="640" height="396" align="middle"><param name="width" value="640"/><param name="height" value="396"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=891d2996-5389-418d-a09f-4c4edf0e7364&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=1&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=0&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=0&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&scaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=891d2996-5389-418d-a09f-4c4edf0e7364&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=1&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=0&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=0&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=1&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&scaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="396" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

There is a segment in the video I included showing how I box test a scope, the wind was pretty bad, but I think most of you will get the idea of what I was talking about. Mother nature is wicked at Rifles Only.

Re: Video Review - SWFA Super Snipers

Another great review! Thanks LL. When are you uploading the Part II of the Razor?

NineHotel,

Both the SS 3-9x42 & 10x42 HD are mil/mil. My 3-9x42 is mil/mil and I don't know if they are even contemplating making a mil/moa version.

LL,

You even wore the Super Chicken Hat. Great review.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That LTR looks like a McM 50 in LL's hands.

Are the mil knob variants shipping? </div></div>

Yes, they have both been shipping for a while

That's a really cool way to test calibration of reticle and tracking

Frank,

Are those rings the same SWFA is offering with the package deal?

DSMcG

LL, thanks for the review! Which one in your opinion is the better bargain? I know it's kinda apples to oranges, but just wondering?

The rings were just some Talley Tacticals I had, I don't know what SWFA offers as they didn't come from them.

Either way both scopes are a deal, it just depends if you want the variable or the fixed, remembering the Variable is a fixed parallax, not adjustable like the 10X. For a boltgun the 10X would be my call, spr or gas gun, the 3-9X.

Are the adjustments audible and tactile and what was your overall impression of them? Nice review this scope has alot of interest for me I may have to try one.

If you turn the sound up you can hear the adjustments, the scope is good, way beyond the price tag. The turrets are definitely strong, you can see how solid the internals are just by looking at it. There is no plastic, no half stepping in any way, it's just a solid optic, the price is just icing on the cake.

LL, great review on the Super Snipers.

Can you ask SWFA to make a 5-15x44 ffp with mil turrets and adjustable parallax and keep the price around $800?

Great little scope for the $!

Pic of the SS on the Scout:

IMG_0246.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Either way both scopes are a deal, it just depends if you want the variable or the fixed, remembering the Variable is a fixed parallax, not adjustable like the 10X. For a boltgun the 10X would be my call, spr or gas gun, the 3-9X. </div></div>

Forgive me if this should be more obvious...but why is that exactly? I've been seriously considering a 3-9 for a bolt gun, which is why I ask. Thanks!

I would think that if you are going to reach out on small targets than the 10x would have the edge by virtue of it's parallax adj. The 3-9x42 is great for guys who want a Mil/Mil scope for hunting, if it's range only i would have opted for the 10x myself.

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Forgive me if this should be more obvious...but why is that exactly? I've been seriously considering a 3-9 for a bolt gun, which is why I ask. Thanks!

</div></div>

Parallax isn't a problem at low magnification, it isn't enough to matter. Parallax error increases with magnification, so normally only scopes with a max magnification of 10x-12x or more have adjustable parallax.

LowLight said in another review that him nor a military shooter he was training could see any parallax error out to 800 yards with the 3-9x. That actually says a lot right there. I thought for sure it would be an issue, but obviously it is performing well pretty far out there. I cannot wait to get one for an SPR. I have the 10x HD on my SPR now and it is a great scope.

The 3-9X is really a good optic and it was essentially parallax free, we did end up shooting it too 1000 yards. I believe on the flat rail of the Mk 11 Mod 0 the scope had 11.8 Mils of usable elevation, and the rifle needed 11.2 Mils to reach 1000 yards with M118LR.

I personally like the 10X better for a boltgun, unless you are doing a light hunting rifle as someone said, the 3-9X is really a good SPR type scope, although it will work no problem for any application. That scout rifle posted is another perfect example of a good application for the 3-9X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you think the fixed 10x is $200 more than the variable 3x9 ? </div></div>

From another forum:

"It is a new, premium , sort of limited production scope in the Super Sniper line. The HD stands for both High Definition, and Heavy Duty. According to those who have tried one, it is an EXTREMELY nice scope."

I believe the HD had some specific "heavy duty" requirements specified by the agency that contracted for them, that are not found in the variable or the other SS scopes. Did you find that appeared to be the case Frank?

Thanks for the nice review. Unfortunately, it didn't help me decide between the two, I still want one of each. But I do think you helped me decide which one to get first.

After standing behind and trying to plus up Super Sniper for almost a year, it's nice to see another view from someone who doesn't get beat down over their support for this fine value. Nice review.

So, I've been watching for the release of the Vortex Razor for about a year and it looks like this scope is the one I was really looking for.

The Razor looks pretty good but my $$$ will be going to SWFA soon.

Thanks for the review lowlight.
    You mentioned the 3-9 worked well with the mk11s. Would it be a good option for an ar-10t with a 20 inch barrel? I already have a 4-14 ffp falcon menace thats been working fine so far but was looking to upgrade to something a little lighter with better glass. Should I just keep the falcon for now and save up for a nightforce 2.5-10x32?

You can't go wrong with NF, more and more people are turning to the 2.5-10X for those very rifles, but the SS at $600 is an awesome buy and an excellent scope for an AR-10.

The AR10 in the video was a 16" that hammers, on the Mk11 it worked well also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot day, night and noticed a difference between the Super Sniper and the issue optics, to the issued optic fell far short of the qualities of the Super Sniper despite being more than double the cost.</div></div>

Is "issue optics" polite code for a Mark 4? If so, that's quite an impressive endorsement, right?

pretty much.

the Super Sniper is quite impressive in my opinion, adding the price point in only sweetens the pot, as I think it could have easily been priced higher.

SWFA,

On another thread a month or so I had commented about the price for the new SS10xHD being too high for a Super Sniper.I didn't realize that the new HD version is a clean sheet of paper scope that has exceeded it's original namesake by a good margin.

After reading franks review I have to offer up an apology to you because your new scopes appear to be a great value for the price!

Good job!

Steve

What size are the dots on the new Super Snipers .20 or .25 ?

Thanks,
    Maarten

I have to admit not verifying this 100% but I took them to be .2 when I did read the reticle for the right triangle test that is what I used.

I use .2 so often, I just rolled into that number and moved on from there. Maybe SWFA can confirm for sure, because, to my fault I didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roadwild17,

I don't know if it is still on SWFA's site, but it is still available from them via e-bay:

SWFA 3-9x42 package #2 </div></div>

We should have the same package up at swfa.com within a day or two. It will be under part # SWFA2

Brady

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyrotechnic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size are the dots on the new Super Snipers .20 or .25 ?

Thanks,
    Maarten </div></div>

They are .20.

Brady

did you guys run out of the salt mount??

If not any way to pay the difference between the rings and salt mount?

As a recent purchasee of the 10x42 SWFA SS I would like to thank SWFA folks for the exceptional service. I originally opted for 20x42 which they had on eBay. After realizing that I wanted 10x for what I was going to do, I called SWFA and they changed my order quickly, made PayPal corrections and generally were very helpfull. The scope arrived promptly and I had it on Burris XR rings and EGW 20 MOA base in no time. Took me exactly 4 rounds to zero in at 100 yards. As I am planning to shoot F-Class matches at 800/900/1000 yds, the fact that the turret a ton of upward adjustment makes me feel like I made the right choice.
    I do have 1 concern: the turrets have some movement between the clics. Is this normal? I am worried that this free-play will actually cause the POA to move. Can someone please help me with this aspect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roadwild17,

I don't know if it is still on SWFA's site, but it is still available from them via e-bay:

SWFA 3-9x42 package #2 </div></div>

We should have the same package up at swfa.com within a day or two. It will be under part # SWFA2

Brady </div></div>

Crap. Just ordered a 3-9 FFP, sunshade, and killflash from the site Sunday.

Anyway, got it today and it is very nice. The AR10 it's going on is still at the smiths, but I'm pretty excited to take it out.

Im shipping some stuff out to SWFA tomorrow in trade for an ss3-9x42. It will be replacing the 3-9x40 Mk AR on my AR. I hope it lives up to the good reviews its been getting. My poor rifle is naked until it gets here. How quick are they about shipping stuff out?

Also I was wondering, what all comes in the box with it?

Nothing comes in the box, it's pretty spartan, so don't expect the whole nine yards like Vortex does with theirs...

I the SS just had an Allen that was it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im shipping some stuff out to SWFA tomorrow in trade for an ss3-9x42. It will be replacing the 3-9x40 Mk AR on my AR. I hope it lives up to the good reviews its been getting. My poor rifle is naked until it gets here. How quick are they about shipping stuff out?

Also I was wondering, what all comes in the box with it? </div></div>

Ordered mine Sunday. Got it today.

Thanks for a very nice review and also for the link, my question is would the SS be a good scope for a AR heavy barrel in 223?? Im guessing off the top of my head that it would get the job done.