• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Video Review-Vortex Viper 1-4x PST

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Viper PST 1-4x Mil Adjusted </span>

Back at the Fall Bash in December, Scott from Vortex attended and before he left he handed me one of the very first production Viper PST 1-4X scopes that he had with him. Now I have seen the Razor 1-4x, but the Viper PST is a different animal. The Razor line retails for about $1200, the Viper line coming in at $499. So the test, to see if the quality hold up in a scope retailing for only $499.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Initial Impressions</span>
    viper14%201.jpg

My initial impression of the Viper PST was very good. I thought it was well made, it has a great sight picture and eye box, and I liked the openness of the reticle.

The difference here, .2MRAD clicks on this scope, which is just shy of .75MOA, which for an up close optic I have no problems will. The course adjustments make it fast. As well, Scott provided me with the Cat Tail feature which adds to the magnification turret to quickly change from 1X to 4X or anywhere in between.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Video </span>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dGObPx8VxN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Everything else I missed:</span>

VortexViper.jpg

A couple of questions came up on here, in response to uploading the video last night so here are the answers.

The Test Target was measured out, as well I trust the Reticle in my Zeiss. The numbers are dead on as far as mils. It's why they were even and not some fraction of the mil. I used a tape measure to place to 3" Shoot N Cs. So the .2MRAD the scope was off at 11 mils is right. Again, you're never gonna use this scope to 11 mils, so I call that a non-issue. I was probably tracking pretty damn high for that 30mm Tube.

The Illumination on the reticle I found to be visible during the day, even with my Oakley's on. I had no trouble up picking up the reticle. I find the strength of this optic to be the Eye Box and the Sight Picture. It has very nice glass.

Vortexreticle.jpg

The turrets, I didn't have an issue with them, but don't recall them being overly crisp. They weren't mussy, but they were super tactile either. They just were, not bad enough to flag, not good enough to stand up and take notice. But I do find the markings on this scope to be clear and visible regardless of the position.

VortexViperwindage.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Specs</span>

This scope comes in both MRAD versions and MOA versions, so you can get them either way. For full details I recommend going to the Vortex Tactical Website:
    Viper PST 1-4x

viperspecs.png

Overall I was very impressed with this $500 optic and could see myself using it over and over.

Re: Video Review-Vortex Viper 1-4x PST

The importance of double checking your equipment was well noted here. Thanks for the review.

The Viper line seems as it will fill its niche well. It does appear that they have a lot to offer at the price point.

Thank you for the review. I believe I will be picking one up for my M6A3 here in a few months. Is there still a major backlog with these or has that been resolved already? Wish my funds were unlimited.

Thanks all,

You now looking at the specs on the scope, I was way past the listed mils available, so that could have accounted for the deviation. The fact I was well beyond the listed adjustment range... the mount may have some adjustment in it, I don't remember, but clearly 11 mils is huge for a scope of this size.

Great review!!! Thanks Lowlight.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions from the other thread, and for the time spent on the review.

How easy was the reticle to pick up in daylight on 1x without the illumination on? And would you happen to know what the battery life is expected on a normal setting?

It was very fast and easy to pick up... Battery life not sure but I will say I killed it twice... I had to hunt to get other battery and I tried it with and without, I found it no problem "area" wise when I was trying to bear down on the target the small center dot got a bit lost in the Black Shoot N C target, without my glasses on I had a hard time making sure i was holding solid.

But on 1X it was good because it is SFP

Great review Frank!

I checked these out at SHOT and I thought they were very nice. I'm waiting for the HS version to come out because honestly, I think a non-covered or non-locking turret on a 1-4x "tactical" optic is a HUGE mistake. The knobs are fairly large and not super stiff (like the Premier's) so you can easily rotate them by rubbing on your gear. Maybe I'm crazy but I see no reason for "quick" elevation and windage adjustment on these types of optic (CQB to sub-300 yard distance)...I would use hold-overs.

I also found the cat tail to be too long. I think it needs be about 1/2 the size...nothing that a Dremel can't fix....

Nice review Frank - Thanks for taking the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jenko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there still a major backlog with these or has that been resolved already? </div></div>

The PST 1-4's are now readily available & an in stock item. There is another shipment arriving in the next week of the various other models. The PST line should start being less scarce in March.

Thank you for putting out a review and taking the time to make a video. How was the zero stop feature? Is it just shims you would stack?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great review Frank!

I checked these out at SHOT and I thought they were very nice. I'm waiting for the HS version to come out because honestly, I think a non-covered or non-locking turret on a 1-4x "tactical" optic is a HUGE mistake. The knobs are fairly large and not super stiff (like the Premier's) so you can easily rotate them by rubbing on your gear. Maybe I'm crazy but I see no reason for "quick" elevation and windage adjustment on these types of optic (CQB to sub-300 yard distance)...I would use hold-overs.

I also found the cat tail to be too long. I think it needs be about 1/2 the size...nothing that a Dremel can't fix....</div></div>
    For some reason I was under the impression that they weren't going to do a 1-4 in the HS line, but I'm not sure on that. I just remember being disappointed because I, like you, would prefer that feature. SWFA got it right when they offered both styles to fit everyone's needs, but once I'm zeroed on a 1-4, I aint dialing shit.

recce, do you know for sure that there will be an HS model? That would be something I would wait for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great review Frank!

I also found the cat tail to be too long. I think it needs be about 1/2 the size...nothing that a Dremel can't fix....</div></div>
    For some reason I was under the impression that they weren't going to do a 1-4 in the HS line, but I'm not sure on that. I just remember being disappointed because I, like you, would prefer that feature. SWFA got it right when they offered both styles to fit everyone's needs, but once I'm zeroed on a 1-4, I aint dialing shit.

recce, do you know for sure that there will be an HS model? That would be something I would wait for. </div></div>Yes there is a 1-4 HS with capped turrets.

Thanks for the write up Frank, very thorough and professional as always. Thanks again.

Scott

I stand corrected, thanks Scott.

Ah, it's MOA, that was my disappointment... guess you can't please everyone. I'm not sure which I want more, MILs or capped turrets. Decisions, Decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GREAT review Frank. A couple of questions? Whats with the Laure mount and also what trigger do you have in the lower?</div></div>

Pete,

The Larue's are good for 5.56 and work fine, plus since talking with Mark at Shot I have seen the errors in my ways. <span style="font-style: italic"> (that and GDI doesn't yet make a 30mm) </span>

The trigger is a Chip McCormick, that upper is shot needs to be cleaned or rebarreled or something I think it might be toast or it didn't like the 77gr. I have gotten much better groups, but it might have been with SS109.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GREAT review Frank. A couple of questions? Whats with the Laure mount and also what trigger do you have in the lower? </div></div>

Chip Mccormick

ETA: frank beat me, I should've refreshed the page before I posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Larue's are good for 5.56 and work fine, plus since talking with Mark at Shot I have seen the errors in my ways. (that and GDI doesn't yet make a 30mm)
    </div></div>

Knowing the story that is why I asked. As for the upper, is it a 1 X 7 or 1 X 9? I know that some twist might not shoot some bullets.

I was looking for a new scope and this might be the ticket.

First off, that was a nice review, good info. But, are you going to abuse that thing at all? I would be very interested in seeing how it would hold up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    But on 1X it was good because it is SFP </div></div>

Best feature... I don't know why anyone would want a 1-4 in the FFP...

Thanks for taking the time to review the 1-4 PST. By far the best review I have seen yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stand corrected, thanks Scott.

Ah, it's MOA, that was my disappointment... guess you can't please everyone. I'm not sure which I want more, MILs or capped turrets. Decisions, Decisions. </div></div>
    Yeah, it would be nice if it was in MIL just for consistency...

Thanks Frank, I saw this review after placing an order with Scott at Liberty, but it is nice to have an expert opinion confirming what research I was able to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    But on 1X it was good because it is SFP </div></div>

Best feature... I don't know why anyone would want a 1-4 in the FFP... </div></div>

I will be shooting my 1-4PST for the first time Saturday.

So I dont have any kind of range report yet, but I couldnt agree more. I dont need an FFP on the carbine onto which I mounted the 1-4 and think it could be a real problem picking up the reticle quickly on low power.

I am sure there are guys who use the reticle to range a lot, even on a 1-4, so I can see some wanting it, but I certainly dont.

If I am spotting for someone else I will be using a higher powered FFP scope, or spotter.

I am really impressed with the construction on the PST and the glass is exactly what I expected it would be, coming from Vortex. That is, much better than the price would indicate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jenko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the review. I believe I will be picking one up for my M6A3 here in a few months. Is there still a major backlog with these or has that been resolved already? Wish my funds were unlimited. </div></div>

I have one for my m6a3 and it's lights out the best setup I've seen.

Thanks for the review!