• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Video showing flex in rifle and components slo-mo

pdogdown

Sergeant
Minuteman
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5pVya7eask?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You tube link:
You tube 50BMG slo-mo

This is why I put a rail on every rifle, even a .223. My boss has a .300 RUM that Cabela's put a two piece on, they didn't properly torque it and it shredded the leupy rings and bases as well as the swaro scope. Lesson to be learned I guess.

Re: Video showing flex in rifle and components slo-mo

I never thought any rifle would move that much.
Very cool Videos.

Thats amazing. Makes ya think twice about cheap scopes and mounts.

A 50BMG is gona flex way more than a .223 lol

As many times as I watch it, I am still impressed that rifles can keep a zero.

I look at it from a prospective of a programmer. The engineer that designs the steel and the machinist that makes the barrel and upper, they have my admiration.

Maxwell

That's awesome!

Makes me wonder though- I just remounted my scope, and the objective bell is less than 1 business card from the front edge of my pic rail base. I can squeeze a card in, but it doesn't pass through without resistance. I am wondering with flex if this will cause an impact? It is on a .308 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome!

Makes me wonder though- I just remounted my scope, and the objective bell is less than 1 business card from the front edge of my pic rail base. I can squeeze a card in, but it doesn't pass through without resistance. I am wondering with flex if this will cause an impact? It is on a .308 rifle. </div></div>

I had low rings like that on my 300WM with a muzzle brake, and after about 100 rounds, i took the scope off and had a mark where the barrel and objective hit. So I would say yes it would cause an impact.

I'm surprised how much barrel movement there is on the AK-47 as well.

Especially the fact that was a milled receiver AK, often claimed for their rigidity. Although a stamped would probably look like a damn Lasso when fired, lol

Wasnt expecting that for a BB gun haha

I've seen that 50 BMG video 100000000 times now tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's awesome!

Makes me wonder though- I just remounted my scope, and the objective bell is less than 1 business card from the front edge of my pic rail base. I can squeeze a card in, but it doesn't pass through without resistance. I am wondering with flex if this will cause an impact? It is on a .308 rifle. </div></div>

Put lipstick one or the other and rap one off and see if it leaves a mark on the other side of the gap.

This all just goes to show how important repeatability in every aspect is. From clean barrel, to same torque on action screws, duplicating loads (not getting lazy and mixing 3x fired brass with 1x fired that has different case lengths like I did for a long time) and the like. It is about getting the bullet to exit the barrel in the same fashion every time.

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OK260AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Put lipstick one or the other and rap one off and see if it leaves a mark on the other side of the gap. </div></div>Good idea.

Man i had no idea, and thats on a semi auto. I wonder if its much worse on a bolt gun.

yeah, all firearms vibrate and flex. Some more than others. An accurate firearm will vibrate and flex the same way every time.

It's a wonder they don't just snap after awhile, some of the barrels act like spring steel. And life goes on

It's easy to see why tuners are popular. If you can reduce the flex at the right point you can make the barrel stay a lot straighter while the bullet is still in the barrel. If I had a high speed camera I could maybe get a big advantage on adjusting a tuner.

These vids made me think one thing in particular:
"Damn, I really need to get a small torque wrench to make sure I maintain consistent specs!"
No wonder POI can shift so easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King Ghidora</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's easy to see why tuners are popular. If you can reduce the flex at the right point you can make the barrel stay a lot straighter while the bullet is still in the barrel. If I had a high speed camera I could maybe get a big advantage on adjusting a tuner. </div></div>
Having a photographer friend with expensive tastes helps a bundle. While I haven't used him to tune a rifle yet, I have had him help me tune my bow. Getting the arrow off the rest as straight and repeatable as possible equals accuracy. You should see how much an arrow flexes coming off the string! Scary considering it is right next to your arm.