• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vietnam M40 Build

0341jtac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2022
Central Va
I have been debating both where and if I should even post this. I figured: what the heck, what's the worst that can happen?

I wanted to share with you all my first-ever rifle build. I am a huge fan of the Vietnam War era, and have loved Marine Scout Snipers since I saw the Discovery Channel's "Surviving the Cut" episode on them. I also love precision shooting, and decided to build my own precision rifle, modelled after the USMC Scout Sniper's rifles of the mid-to late Vietnam War: The M40.

I took a standard, off-the-shelf Remington 700 in .308, and researched the parts endlessly. I know many will be upset that I did not use a period correct receiver or bolt, but I was on a very tight budget, and extremely proud of the end result! Pictured below is what I started with, some of the "in between" project moments, and the end results with 3 shot group taken at 100yd. I hope you enjoy them even a fraction of how much I enjoy it!
20230512_115835.jpg
Truing receiver face.jpg
Bolt Face Truing.jpg
Cut Threads.jpg
Cutting Chamber.jpg
Bedding.jpg
End Result Closed.jpg
End Result Open.jpg
Accuracy.jpg

Besides a couple of wrenches and punches, I purchased all of the tools myself. This project was about teaching myself to blueprint and accurize Remington Actions to create custom precision rifles while also giving myself a rifle I have always wanted. I am lucky enough to currently work at a gunshop and range where we have an armorer who has done a couple rifles and was able to give me guidance and approval and let me use any of the minor tools I needed, like aforementioned punches and wrenches!

Reactions: camocorvette
Instead of asking "Who's" I should have said which brand. I've know about the Manson Precision tools but not sure if there were any other companies making them out there. If Manson did you use the stock size or over size receiver set? What was your feelings as to the ease of use and quality of finished product finish?

Ah! My bad haha. I used the Manson stock receiver set, their receiver face truing tool, and their pull-through headspace reamer. I used Precision Reflex Industries Remington 700 V-block and Badger Ordnance Recoil Lug Alignment tool. The Stock is a Boyd's Stock, and I did a full bed using the Brownell's bedding kit. I also used a Bolt take-down tool and Remington 700 ejector take-down tool. The barrel was a custom short-chambered barrel from McGoven Precision.

As far as ease of use, I familiarized myself with the system and the process through various YouTube videos that I can link, if you'd like. It was pretty easy, but very nerve wracking! The hardest and most annoying part was the bedding, undoubtedly. As far as quality of the finished product, I couldn't be happier. I have a custom precision rifle that fits my desire for being as close to spec to a Vietnam Sniper Rifle as I could find (minus lack of clip slotting and the recoil lug thickness). All the tools were fantastic and did their specific job flawlessly. I can't recommend Manson enough, they were extremely helpful, as was Bartlein for answering my Barrel questions!

Looks great! I picked up an M40 build myself and it shoots like a dream, five shots at .373" at 100. Mine sadly doesn't have the anodized optic, instead someone took a Redfield 3-9x40 and just spray painted it green, but it has the proper reticle and it obviously works.

Mine is a reproduction by HiLux, unfortunately. But the reticle is the same style and the scope color is the same, which is nice. Unfortunately, the reticle lines are a bit thick, but it obviously works!

Looks like the Boyds Heritage. I am in the process of doing the same type of build. I plan to shoot in the local vintage sniper match with my son. I was thinking of the same stock, just ordered a Rem 700 varmint 308. I am working on an ebay stock for my son's rifle right now. I'll have to get some pics up of the progress.
Nice job by the way.

Mike