• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Viewing through the optic from a tablet

Bruce K

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2019
I'm upgrading my rests to a pair of Ransom Rifle Master front rest with their quick change adapter plates and windage adjustment, along with their rear rest and their Assisted Trigger system to ease my load development. The Mega 2 Ransom rest at 150 pounds was simply too much for one person to haul and setup.

Ideally I would like to find a camera system that will air the video to a tablet or smartphone that does NOT attach to scope, but rather with mount not affixed to the gun that holds the camera behind the optic at a safe distance.

Something I learned today from Ransom who did extensive testing with benchrest customers about "free recoil" and its influence on accuracy. Testing at 500 yards and beyond they found the precision rests were more consistent than the Mega 2 rest even though the Mega 2 rest returns to battery within 1/15000 of an inch, much tighter than any human. However, because a rifle is secured in the Mega 2 rest the recoil is resisted by an adjustable amount, this resistence introduces barrel harmonics to a very slight degree. Unless you're a world class bench rest shooter the amount of pressure on the buttpad and how the rifle is held introduces inconsistencies and why some benchrest shooter are not even touching their rifle when it goes off. An rifle that is free to recoil back "free recoil" as I understood it will produce if in a precision rest greater consistency that a rifle secured in the Mega 2 rest. How much greater, about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch at 500 yards.

I've asked Michael at Ransom if I'm barking up a tree and blow air out of you know where about cameras mounted on optics introducing greater harmonics.

Guys, I don't know if this is an issue, but curious if such a camera / scope setup is available?