• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage bolt-action + hinged floorplate?

Son of Dorn

Castellan
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
Okay, so I'm working on a Mauser sporting/hunting/big game rifle build and I was wondering: Aside from the M1909 Argentines and the Russian M91/30, were there any other military-configuration bolt-action rifles (Mauser or otherwise) that featured hinged floorplates? Follow-up question, is there a particular reason why I should or should not use one? I'm on the fence about using one on this build; they seem to have been popular with sporters and unpopular with militaries and I'm curious why that might've been.

Popular with sporters for easy unloading and unpopular as a service rifle as it is one more thing to break/go wrong is my vote.
Not sure which others had hinges.

Popular with sporters for easy unloading and unpopular as a service rifle as it is one more thing to break/go wrong is my vote.
Not sure which others had hinges.
That's what I figured. Maybe on the Mosin-Nagant, easier to unload in cold temperatures/clean the magazine? If you're wearing thick gloves in a Russian winter, kinda makes sense.