• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Large Game Mauser

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Thought I would post up a picture or two of my old Magnum Mauser .375 H&H Mag. Have not shot it for a while but it has been used in Alaska and Africa. It is from the 1930's Griffin & Howe shop. The rifle has a few unusual features. The Oberndorf button locking side safety in addition to the standard wing safety was optional and rarely ordered. Square action bridge with Lyman 48 inset for durability. Double set triggers that work like a finely tuned watch. Even non set pull is excellent. The rifle also has a very trim outline for a .375 H&H as well as very "modern" straight comb with little drop. I think it was built as a mountain rifle. Has detachable Hensoldt scope not pictured.

Photos
    DFEB1B24-0FA3-4419-ABEA-6EF8E7BB6044.jpeg
    29467530-C7F6-43F6-96CF-0BCF0D4DBD85.jpeg

How much can I not afford? 😜

Beautiful rifle and an insight as to what was usable back then/fashion in the hunting world.

More pics would be even more awesome!

Looks light, handy, bet that thick recoil pad is on their for a reason.

Is this built on a K98 large ring Mauser action? It looks like it from your pictures.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful rifle.

It’s a large ring commercial Magnum Mauser action.
    longer than a standard action to accommodate longer cartridges.
    @pmclaine, It’s a bit deceiving due to scale. The action is large. Rifle weighs 9# 6 oz as pictured and just over 11# with Hendoldt scope, mount and sling.

Recoil is not punishing to one who regularly shoots light .270-30/06 hunting rifles but I do not fire 50 rounds per trip.

Last edited:
    Some detail pictures.
    Both 2 3/4 and 4x Hensoldt scopes fitted in rare G&H windage adjustable QD mount. Very expensive option in the 1930’s.
    Also details of triggers with checkering, cheek piece, engraved recoil bolt.
    Enjoy the photos!
    7F3374B3-590A-4FF7-B859-C7025038F1CB.jpeg
    A0BBF862-B229-4065-A72E-B58AC2CCA8B1.jpeg
    6B9A1DE1-4EB5-4BD8-961D-0266A29A8762.jpeg
    75382877-B9C6-491A-A95B-BD4B6252DAB3.jpeg

Wow those are absolutely amazing. I have always been a fan of older rifles. I started off in the mil surplus game over on the CMP Forums. I asked about the action as I once had a large ring K98 receiver and pondered on building it into a nice hunting rifle, never did cause when I asked about practicality more people said why.

Building does not make a lot of sense today. This from a guy who has had dozens built. 😁

Reactions: Jake200
    Building does not make a lot of sense today. This from a guy who has had dozens built. 😁
    When was this rifle put together like this? A beautiful piece of working art, I'll agree.

Building doesn't make sense from a money standpoint, but neither do paintings. They sit on a wall and look good. Still, people pay a lot of money and have them. And, with the right artist, ...A LOT of money.

FWIW, I'd rather have something like your rifle, where I can go out and use it.

This rifle was built in the early 1930’s.

The issue with building today is one of both time and money.

The few top builders are normally booked up for years. Some only build for a few repeat customers. Basically a closed shop.

The other issue is that a rifle can be purchased for a small portion of the cost to build. Add in the uncertainty of how the build will turn out and uncertain delivery time and it makes no sense.

Too bad but oh well.

Now that is a rifle... Damn that is a beautiful example. I've always wanted to build a Mauser action and never got around to it. Built in the style of your rifle, the stock work is amazing. I always thought they were some of the finest looking rifles with all the durability and craftsmanship of a Mauser action to go with it.

Thanks for sharing that, I'm truly jealous, lol. Chambered in 375 H&H too, perfect.

Reactions: Jake200
    I sold off a Mauser receiver probably ten years ago. I think the Mauser action is a beautiful thing cleaned up and blued. This post actually has me looking for a donor receiver again, it’s truly inspiring.

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
    Wow! Nice Kit. I love the chequering! Very fine. I'm also a big fan of Orange or Red recoil pads on Big game guns and English style shotguns. Hendsolt scopes are amazing glass for their age. I have a Big(ish) game gun build in mind based on an Arisaka action (Mum intact with excellent bluing) in .350 Norma Magnum. Will need to be a complete custom stock as there are no pre-inletted ones that I know of. That means I get to choose the Walnut used and I'd like to get one with a flame type pattern to match my Shotgun. Love those set triggers but don't think will be possible on an Arisaka action. I do know you can get a Timney though. What make is the rear peep? I'll probably look for a set of Parker Hale Safari Irons unless anyone thinks of a better option? I wonder if a Swede M96 Target rear peep could be made to fit? Be keen to hear about other people's ideas for builds because as someone else here said, this is inspiring.

It’s a Lyman 48M.

And it has an exceedingly rare slot blank.

I lucked out and found a slot blank on EBay this past summer. I was able to get it for less than $100.

I was as happy as shit paying $80 or so for a piece of steel that does nothing but be a piece of steel.