• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage oil

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    1911s are going to get some precious oil......

image.jpg

Sperm oil was used in Hudson’s Cleaner, a powder solvent and firearm oil mentioned in Hatcher’s Notebook, 3rd Ed., p. 345. I reckon that you would need a lot more however, if you wanted to make up the 1/2 (US) gallon formula listed on that page. 🙂 Good find.

This will be micro dropper applied on the slides.

Gonna get an ink bottle type short, wide mouth, jar that I will store any patches that I dampen with it.

Another nerd told me that is his way.

I'll make the little go a long way.

Squeezing each sperm in order to fill that whole bottle was tiresome.

Vintage sewing machine oil...
    I might have some then, I've got an all original Necchi Bu with all the original shit from 100 years ago. Surely the oil with it isn't that old, maybe the 40's or 50's when it was upgraded with the motor? I'll have to go look.

Couldn't you still get that in Japan? I can't see how it'd be better than modern synthetics, pretty much every animal product has been improved upon.

It's main use back in the day and why it was prized was as lamp oil because it burns clean.

I might have some then, I've got an all original Necchi Bu with all the original shit from 100 years ago. Surely the oil with it isn't that old, maybe the 40's or 50's when it was upgraded with the motor? I'll have to go look.

Couldn't you still get that in Japan? I can't see how it'd be better than modern synthetics, pretty much every animal product has been improved upon.

It's main use back in the day and why it was prized was as lamp oil because it burns clean.
    That clean burn makes it great for bullet lubes and grease cookies for black powder cartridge shooting. Doesn't coke up and leave a bunch of shit behind.

If it is pre 1972 likely it could be sperm oil in a high end machine.

What little I know about the stuff is it doesnt go rancid, it lubes well, and maintains its stability in different temps.

It doesnt do anything any other oil will do if kept fresh and of the appropriate viscosity for the conditions.

Im just a sucker for geeky shit and worked three OTs and a couple road projects.....have you seen my new pen yet? No stimmy for my family but I spend my own plenty.

Japan says it kills whales only for research....researching how good they taste.

I dont think anyone is killing the big boys to the extent they could have a commercial product that the little guys could afford.

Whales are being killed despite GreenPeace having their ships blown out of the water. If products are made and Im sure they are, they are going into high end manufacturing (Rolex watch lube maybe but Im guessing they are woke), some medical process, research or some other speciatly.

Fact is though shit cant be that rare if Im buying it off Ebay at $50/ounce.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ZG47A
    I learned a lot of shit about whales in this book....

1618333582132.png

Great read.

Dont confuse it with Thomas Hobbes book of a similar name unless you are trying to understand the psyche of the globalists and the DemoCommunist Party.

Reactions: Davo308
    Back in the mid-1060s,(Oops. 1960's) I worked as an IBM Electric typewriter repairman. One of our specialized lubricants was porpoise oil. Its value was that it was extremely lightweight and non-gumming. It was pressured off the market soon after, and personally I had no regret. But the stuff really worked as intended.

We would thin it with Trichloroethane, put a dab in the required location with a fine artist's brush, wait for the Trichlorethane to evaporate, and have a very light application of a lightweight non-gumming lube. I had some for awhile, and used it to lube trigger assemblies.

I imagine that modern chemistry has come up with products that have very similar qualities, and are more cetacean-friendly.

Greg

Last edited:
    Back in the mid-1060s, I worked as an IBM Electric typewriter repairman. One of our specialized lubricants was porpoise oil. Its value was that it was extremely lightweight and non-gumming. It was pressured off the market soon after, and personally I had no regret. But the stuff really worked as intended.

We would thin it with Trichloroethane, put a dab in the required location with a fine artist's brush, wait for the Trichlorethane to evaporate, and have a very light application of a lightweight non-gumming lube. I had some for awhile, and used it to lube trigger assemblies.

I imagine that modern chemistry has come up with products that have very similar qualities, and are more cetacean-friendly.

Greg

@Bigfatcock seems to have a good lube knowledge.

He refers to the Sperm oil as a wax.....a high viscosity wax I would say.

In its day it was magical for candles, lamps and lube.

BFC says Jojoba oils are similar to the Sperm oil for utility.

For not going gummy over time though I dont know what compares to it. I have some Starret "Instrument Oil" that I havent really used but if it was going in a precision mic instrument it better be stable.

Interesting that application method you used, the "oil film" must have been gorgeous.

I wont use it though because LeJeune sends me a letter yearly telling me Im covered for breast cancer due to TCE contaminated water....if they find out I use TCE residentially I may have to pay for my own Manograms.

Jojoba oil will turn into a solid in below freezing temperatures. Sperm oil will not. They are both liquid wax esters.

Sperm oil also came in different grades. I use it for lubing single actions and colored case hardened (the real stuff, not the chemical Ruger used) metal.

I like to keep some around for lubing hand planes as well…
    F80F749D-EFB4-40E5-8D5F-2E7C18C1747D.jpeg

In the future, if you buy a bunch of guns and woodworking tools from an estate sale, and they all smell faintly of queef, then it’s probably mine, lol.

Last edited:
    Got few things on my hunting menu today.....

One I have to wait until tonight.

The other is inspired by the Sperm Oil....a precision oiler, maybe something antique, something geeky, something old world quality.....any ideas?

Back in the mid-1060s, I worked as an IBM Electric typewriter repairman. One of our specialized lubricants was porpoise oil. Its value was that it was extremely lightweight and non-gumming. It was pressured off the market soon after, and personally I had no regret. But the stuff really worked as intended.

Greg
    Damn Greg, mid 1060's? Is your other name Dracula?

• Haha
    Reactions: ZG47A and pmclaine
    I use essential oil bottles with a dropper.

Got some new wood for my new to me shotgun for a bit less than I was willing to spend so I have leftover to spend......cant possibly save money.

Ill probably never own more than 5oz of Sperm Oil and I see your big "essential oils" bottles.

Does this shit act like Kroil?

No matter what bottle I put that shit in it seems to make its way out and all over the place.

Just thinking I dont want my sperm leaking all over the place........so to speak.

Lol. Sperm oil does not act like Kroil. It stays in place very well, one of it's much loved properties. For a pistol slide, something like the Purdy oiler would be very efficient for lubricating slide rails. You don't need it leaking out like with CLP. It coats and stays very well, and a little goes a long way. If you rub some on your fingers, you'll feel the difference between it and modern synthetic lubricants. I mainly use it for color case hardening, and bluing, and lubricating small parts like sears, trigger pins, hammer pins, etc.

If I need to lube a 1911 slide it gets good ol' CLP on the rails.

Last edited:
    $20 shipped.....it will work.

1620581442559.png

Patented in 1905, Made in USA. Geek oil holder secured. Ill have to make sure that bottom seam is good. Couple small shoulder dents but one of the cleaner ones I saw.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
    I know a guy that collects vintage oil cans and droppers.
    Some of the mechanisms are works of art.
    They built stuff to last a lifetime, instead of a season.
    Fuck the Future.🙄

Reactions: RTH1800
    These guys got some nice Sperm containers but for shipping charges of $36 screw that.

Edit/Add - My bad, didnt realize they are in Australia......shipping at $36 makes sense.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ravenworks
    These guys got some nice Sperm containers but for shipping charges of $36 screw that.

Edit/Add - My bad, didnt realize they are in Australia......shipping at $36 makes sense.
    You can buy all the same stuff at Galazan in Connecticut for a lot less... It's all the same stuff.

I think Dixie Gunworks sells it all, too!

Cheers,

Sirhr

View attachment 7621142
    Purdey makes a very nice oil bottle to go with its doubles.

Sirhr
    I bought this on e-bay last week. Not bad for the price. I also have the other type of oiler which is often used for sewing machines and can be found on e-bay. $14 shipped, Nickel Plated Round Oil Bottle Without gift box
    1620765019823.png

You can buy all the same stuff at Galazan in Connecticut for a lot less... It's all the same stuff.

I think Dixie Gunworks sells it all, too!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Bought this.....

1620772892963.png

and this

1620773030113.png

Once I figured out the exchange rate it went from being $200 AUS$ to $150 US.

Comparable to Galazan.....but in the future Ill know to ask you as you are the man of refined tastes.

I was at the Honey Hole today.....he has one of those 10 gauge Winchester blank cannons. He is refusing to sell right now but one of these days......

Lot more oil than I expected to get in the Nye bottle....

image.jpg

Someone somewhere is filling these with 3 in 1 oil and laughing.

Nye still exists...some of their modern products on EBay.

Last edited:
    It’s nice to go back in time.

If someone called be a "nostalgic" I would not be insulted.

I don't think my new bottle of oil is sperm whale sourced.

Other two have very little odor but the dark oil smells like the lobby of the New Bedford whaling museum with its big whale skeleton hanging over head.

Those bones still drip oil and there are pans and piping carrying the drippings to a collection bottle.

Nye made a lot of "fish jaw oil" so I'm guessing this might be a product of your common cetaceans.

Saw that they had a big camp on the coastal Carolinas where they would catch and kill porpoises and render them into lube.

I held the bottle up to my ear and heard this.....

It should still work out fine. I believe your small bottles were medicinals, so a higher grade. Sperm oil came in different grades, with winter presses being the most bestest.

However, yours could be from any number of whales.

It should still work out fine. I believe your small bottles were medicinals, so a higher grade. Sperm oil came in different grades, with winter presses being the most bestest.

However, yours could be from any number of whales.

Oil is oil as long as its applied.

I dont expect angels will sing and bullseyes will appear.....totally a geek product.

Now if you are lubing it with Olive Oyl.......

1620946957407.png

Fucking riot - cant believe that image is actually available when you Google Olive Oyl image....fucking perfect!

If someone called be a "nostalgic" I would not be insulted.

I don't think my new bottle of oil is sperm whale sourced.

Other two have very little odor but the dark oil smells like the lobby of the New Bedford whaling museum with its big whale skeleton hanging over head.

Those bones still drip oil and there are pans and piping carrying the drippings to a collection bottle.

Nye made a lot of "fish jaw oil" so I'm guessing this might be a product of your common cetaceans.

Saw that they had a big camp on the coastal Carolinas where they would catch and kill porpoises and render them into lube.

I held the bottle up to my ear and heard this.....

Hey, if they're so smart, they wouldn't be caught in Tuna nets all the time...

Sirhr

Jojoba oil will turn into a solid in below freezing temperatures. Sperm oil will not. They are both liquid wax esters.

Sperm oil also came in different grades. I use it for lubing single actions and colored case hardened (the real stuff, not the chemical Ruger used) metal.

I like to keep some around for lubing hand planes as well…View attachment 7620314

In the future, if you buy a bunch of guns and woodworking tools from an estate sale, and they all smell faintly of queef, then it’s probably mine, lol.

You're the man