• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage Spotting Scope Options

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    A recent post on another thread really got me interested in this topic. It was mentioned that a vintage Japanese Bushnell Spacemaster with a fixed 25x eyepiece has excellent glass and works great for watching mirage. And under $200 on the used market.

A really nice spotting scope is pretty low on my list of needs, as I usually shoot alone and don’t use one for hunting. I don’t have any illusions that I can spot bullet holes in targets... but I would like to have something I can throw on a tripod and study mirage, pick up some trace, and watch impacts on steel at 6-800 yards. I’m assuming a fixed lower power would be fine for this, but I don’t know.

So let’s hear it from the brain trust: who has a vintage spotting scope that works well for this kind of stuff? What model is it, and what’s the eyepiece/magnification?

I know this is an old post but I have 5 vintage spotting scopes and 2 are the Spacemaster’s. Their my favorite ones to use so far. I can spot bullet holes at 300 yards at 20x. Yah there’s newer better scopes out there with more magnification but I love the old stuff. Glass is crystal clear and very good focus adjustment. Only trace I’ve been able to see very very well is 300 blackout. Mirage is very easy to see here as I’m in Oklahoma and it’s HOT. I have lots eyepieces 15x, 20x, 20xWA, 32x, 40x. I use Freeland bi-pod which works awesome. Best eyepiece is the 20xWA due to long eye relief and great field of view.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
    I'm another that doesn't use a spotter much. I picked up a used Nikon Field Scope with a 20-45 eyepiece, and a fixed one as well, for I think $250. It's an ugly mint green color, but it works great for what I use it for.

No need to go vintage to watch mirage. These are good scopes, $142 on Amazon

Konus 15-45X by 65mm Spotting Scope

1582347580953.png

Product Description

These powerful spotting scopes offer high image definition and increased brightness. The metal body with rubber armoring is anti-shock, rain proof and fog proof. All have 45° angle eye piece. All units have a set/release screw to rotate the scope to different positions. All come with case, models #7120 and #7116 include tripod.

Model:KONUSPOT-65
    Magnification/diameter: 15-45x zoom
    Ø Objective: 65mm
    Field of view at 1000 m (1000 yd.): 38m/115ft at15x - 20m/59ft at 45x
    Exit pupil: 4 at 15x - 1.3 at 15x
    Weight: 898gr - 31.7oz
    Length: 355.6mm - 14”

Reactions: Infantry01
    Swarovski CTC 30x75 Spotting Scope
    CTC 30x75 with fixed eyepiece 30x W

This classic telescopic telescopic observation is in its environment in steep terrain and for long periods of use, when the light design and compact dimensions are essential. An important piece of the beginner kit due to its fixed magnification and its simple extension mechanism.
    Technical details
    Increases: 30x
    Effective diameter of the objective lens: 75mm
    Apparent field of vision: 66º
    Minimum focusing distance: 10m
    Approximate length: 310-490mm
    Weight: 1200gr
    Operating temperature: -25 ° C / +55 ° C
    Storage temperature: -30 ° C / +70 ° C
    Focal length of the lens: 460mm
    Diopter correction:> 5
    Field of vision m / 1000m: 41
    Field of vision for spectacle wearers: 2.1º
    Light transmission: 84%

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_144957.jpg
      IMG_20180722_144957.jpg
      684.4 KB · Views: 45
    Picked up a spacemaster with a 25x eyepiece last year for $75 on ebay. It got me through my first year of club level matches used at a max distance of 700 yards. I was impressed with its clarity for its age and especially for what I paid. Dont go expecting it to be Swarovski level glass, but it will do what you need it to do, spot trace, read mirage etc.

Even if you do shoot alone, I have set up my spotting scope next to me, attached a phone adapter, then hit record on video. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but you can watch your shot after the fact and see misses in the dirt or splatter on steel pretty easy. You also get the ability to digitally zoom a little and maybe see holes in paper.

I switched from A big beautiful Kowa to a plain Jane USGI M49.

Lost a ton of weight in my pack and 20X does all I need it to do.

Reactions: ken226