• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper HS or Diamondback HP?

chasingTail

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Given the choice between a Viper HS 4-16x44, 2.5-10x44, or a Diamondback 3-12x42 which would you pick? The cost of these choices is not a factor in the selection.
The original intent was to put it on my Tikka T3x 6.5 cm for hunting. However, I have a 3-9 regular Diamondback I can put on that for hunting. I have an Ar10 in 308 that still needs a scope, as well as a couple other hunting rifles that still need scopes (308, 30-06).
I had bought a Diamondback HP 4-16x42 that was damaged and it's being replaced, so those are my choices. I like the 2.5-10 Viper on paper for hunting, the only thing I'm not sure about is the lack of parallax adjustment on that one. The Viper 4-16 is the most expensive of the bunch so I thought about going that route, but not sure about the 4x for closer shots on deer etc and the FOV doesn't seem great. The FOV also doesn't seem great on the 3-12 DB HP and for low light I figured I'd be better off with the larger tube on the Vipers too. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If you stick with the vortex idea, then get a pat gen 2, 3-18.

Can't go wrong I run mine out to 1000 yards on both 6.5 and 308.

If you stick with the vortex idea, then get a pat gen 2, 3-18.

Can't go wrong I run mine out to 1000 yards on both 6.5 and 308.
I tried to get them to give me a PST but no luck. I think I'm pretty much stuck with one of those three options.

What magnification would you go with? 4-16 or 2.5-10. 2.5-10 would be my choice I think because of the low end magnification and field of view, I'm just not sure if I'd be missing out by not having the parallax adjustment. Thanks!

May not be an issue for you but the Diamondback HPs are no longer made and unavailable unless you find one in a local shop.

I've got 2 of the Viper HS. A 44mm on my 270 and the 50mm on my 257 Roberts. I would definitely buy again. I hunt fairly open farm country with shots from 20 yards to 400+ and like the higher power for the longer shots and don't feel handicapped with 4 power for the closer ones.

Yeah, not an issue because it's one of the options I was given as a replacement from Vortex.
I recently bought the DB HP 4-16 on close out from Midway, tried it a few days ago and was impressed. I’m no expert and didn’t test tracking, but the glass seemed really good for the money.