• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Viper or Sightron?

stalker1131

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Allen,Texas
Ok guys heres the deal, I have narrowed down my choices to either a Sightron 6X24X50 or a Viper 6X24X50. I was told that the optics in these two are much better than the Bushnell elite 4200. What are your thoughts on the issue

Re: Viper or Sightron?

I've had one of each and can say that I like the turrets on the bushnell the most (and the reticle, the least). The Glass is about the same in each (IMO).. I have the Viper on my .22 and like it and the reticle best, the turrets are not ideal though, but are functional.

RJ

What will the scope be used for? What rifle will it be on, we need a little more info. I am going to get the Viper PST 6-24x50, I personally don't like capped turrets I also wanted mil/mil.

Also if I am correct the old viper only comes in 6-20x50, the PST comes in 6-24x50

Hey, you were right about the viper coming only in 6X20X50, my bad. It's gonna be going on a Remington 700 in 308. and by the way, whats the advantage in the mil/mil? I'm just getting into this long range stuff, I have hunted all my life with 3X9 scopes but this is much more technical and has presented me with alot of "hmmmmms" if you know what I mean.

I have two Sightron scopes and I really like both of them. Glass is excellent and they seem to hold up very well. One is on my .22 Volquartsen and the other on my 308 Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stalker1131</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im so screwed up on what glass to buy right now, you guys may tell me to get the Bushnell 4200 lol </div></div>

Right on.

Get the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50. Great glass. Fantastic turrets. I went through this same dilemma, and the Bushnell won out in every category. Better turrets, better glass (IMO).

Thanks Eleaf, you should be a Bushnell sales rep lol
whats the deal with the mil/mil? Im just curious

The Bushnell is considerably higher than the Viper so maybe it does have better glass.

If you go with a mildot reticle or tactical mil reticle it takes all the guess work out of it. For example if you are sighting in your rifle at 100 yards. You shoot from where you are bore sighted, impact a little high and little right. You look at your reticle and your 3.6 mils high and 2.3 right. You click in 3.6 down and 2.3 left, and your down to fine tuning.

P.S. The old viper does not have mil/mil just moa/mil. If you wan't look into the PST they will be out in April.

http://www.vortextactical.com/category/viper_riflescopes

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=779323

Here is a pic I made using the Vortex Viper PST mil reticle.

Milsightin.jpg

the sIII sightron has the best glass TO MY EYES without question. i tried two of the elites in 6-24x50 and didnt like the image of either. the other elites i have had were perfect. the vortex has nice glass and good turrets but they are very critical on eye relief. i just sold a NIB vortex to buy another sIII. you should be able to get one of the new sIII fixed power tacticals for the same price as the bushnell and slightly higher than the vortex. that makes the decision even easier for me.

chuck

The Sightrons SIII glass and repeatability is well more advanced than the the Bushnell 4200. The 4200's glass is comparable to the Viper but the SIII's has that won by a good margin. The PST and the 4200 have some features that Sightron still needs and at some point will have to step up there game in that respect. You have alot of people who say the SIII's glass is more comparable to a Nightforce. If its features your after then I would say the Bushy or Viper but if its glass, repeatability and very audible clicks then I would opt for the Sightron hands down.

FFP, Illumination, Mil/Mil, Exposed turrets although the new fixed power SIII's does have the exposed they are still missing the other three. Matching rectile with the turrets is probably the most important in my book. I would expect by the end of this yr into 2011 they will have this on the market.

I agree, I love my SIII for target work, but for more tactical shooting I enjoy the exposed turrets of my NXS. Seems to me theres not a lot of difference in glass but the clicks are better on the NXS

I would say if anything the Viper, Bushy is more comparable in glass to the Sightron SII Big Sky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stalker1131</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Eleaf, you should be a Bushnell sales rep lol
whats the deal with the mil/mil? Im just curious

The Bushnell is considerably higher than the Viper so maybe it does have better glass. </div></div>

I have been pimping it lately haven't I?

It's because it is a really nice scope in its price range. I had one on my .308 until I upgraded to a Nightforce.

Bushnell has a FFP MIL/MIL scope on the way (6-24x50). It should be a very good scope, assuming they don't fuck it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sightrons SIII glass and repeatability is well more advanced than the the Bushnell 4200. The 4200's glass is comparable to the Viper but the SIII's has that won by a good margin. The PST and the 4200 have some features that Sightron still needs and at some point will have to step up there game in that respect. You have alot of people who say the SIII's glass is more comparable to a Nightforce. If its features your after then I would say the Bushy or Viper but if its glass, repeatability and very audible clicks then I would opt for the Sightron hands down. </div></div>

The knobs are very likely the high point of the Bushy. They are VERY repeatable, audible and crisp. No issues whatsoever with the Bushy clicks. I think they may be just as good as my NF.

Agreed eleaf. Like I said I wasnt tryin to knock the bushy. The 4200 is an excellent value in its price range. Ive owned two and have been very please but the Sightron SIII is in category by itself in glass alone. Now if they would just speed up their engineering and get the features we so long for I would be much happier camper.