• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR1 vs. Sightron 6-24x50 LRMOA

Jumpalot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Wyoming
I've seen the PST compared to every other scope except this one. I've narrowed it down to these two and need help deciding. It will go on a 6.5-284 that I use to practice with out to 1200+ yds. I currently have the regular Viper 6.5-20x44 on there and it has worked pretty well but it's starting to not track correctly. I've heard great things about both scopes. I'm mainly concerned with tracking repeatability. I want to stay in an MOA type reticle and adjustments. I'm not sure I'd like the "floating dot" on the LRMOA in the Sightron though. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR1 vs. Sightron 6-24x50 LRMOA

well I dont have any experience with the sightron but i can tell you that the PST i a really great scope. As far as tracking mine has been flawless. I usually shoot multiple distances throughout my time at the range and switch between them frequently. One "drill" that i do alot is shoot 1 dot on the dot drill at 100 and then shoot 1 round at steel at each 200,300,500, and 600 in random order and then go back and shoot another dot on the dot drill target at 100. the PST has always returned to the correct elevation, if the scope can switch between 5 distances and then return to be able to hit the 1/2 moa dot assuming i dont fuck something up, id say the tracking is good to go.

i'd also like to see a comparison as i am trying to decvide between these two scopes.

Anyone else have any opinions or suggestions?

+1 @cooper623. PST is great (and if need be - Vortex CS shines). No experience or knowledge of Sightron, sorry.

(I'm not sure I'd like the "floating dot" on the LRMOA in the Sightron though.)
Better sight pic.

(Viper 6.5-20x44 on there and it has worked pretty well but it's starting to not track correctly.) Get it repaired!

SIIISS 8-32X56 LRMOA2 This is the one

I've compared my SFP PST 6-24 EBR1MOA side by side with a 8-32 S111 with the LRMOA2 reticle. My FIL has the Sightron so I've used it alot. The following is my opinion; The Sightron gets a slight advantage in glass, but the Vortex is great glass too, the S111 is just a tad brighter. They both track perfect. The S111's reticle is not as easy to use for me, but the dot doesn't bother me. The mag ring is hard to line up with the line on the scope, so you never know you're exactly in the same place twice. The PST's mag ring has notches that it "falls" in so you know your exactly in the right spot to calibrate your reticle. The 8-32 is 2 moa at 24 power, if you know exactly where that is and is 1.5 moa at 32 power which is just very odd for me. The reticle thisckness is noticeably thicker on the S111 and if you're shooting a tiny targets like I do somtime the dot takes up too much room. The paralax adjustment on the S111 is not as nice as the PST, on the PST you just set your yardage and it is dead on, the s111 has a triangle thing that starts at a point and just gets wider so you can't set your paralax ahead of time. The PST also has a zero stop, and a lighted reticle. For me the choice is easy PST hands down, I wouldn't trade my PST for a S111 anyday.

You can set your paralax ahead of time. You can scribe lines on the knob, do this at the range an it done! Better knobs do not make the shoot or hit. Sight PIC, can't hit what you can't see!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S111's reticle is not as easy to use for me...</div></div>
In my experience, reticle - and convenience of using it - is extremely important. For some it could influence the choice of a scope (it was an important factor for me).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can set your paralax ahead of time...</div></div>
Yeah right. I prefer a scope that I don't need scribing lines on it to make it usable.

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a PST and now I'm reading a lot of posts about people having things floating in their scopes. Keep hearing great things about Vortex CS, but I bothers me that so many people have had to find out. AARRGGHH!!

Jumpalot, back when I bought my Vortex Razor I looked at it this way: the likelihood of the scope suddenly quitting on me is not high (my conjecture based on experience of others) while it is possibile that something would be wrong out of the box. Since I had plenty of time before I <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> needed the scope to perform for me - it was OK for me to get it, play with it and talk to Vortex if something gave me a reason to be concerned. As a matter of fact, it was just when the elevation turret issue was discovered and remedied. I had several options - but chose to send the scope to Vortex for verification and correction (I wasn't sure whether my scope did or didn't have that problem). Vortex obliged, and got my "reworked" scope back to me quickly. It was last year. I'm perfectly happy with it, and did not need to bother their customer service with this scope since. Except that now it will go back to Vortex to replace the EBR-2 reticle for the new EBR-2B they designed to address suggestions of the users, and to retrofit - for free - their new ocular that is much better than the old one. My 2nd Razor had already been retrofitted and proved itself on the range and in the field.

If you need a scope today because you're deploying tomorrow - it's one thing, even though nothing could guarantee you that the scope you ordered - be it the best and the most expensive in the world - would not quit on you (probability of it doing that isn't high, but it's non-zero). If you have time to figure it out - I'd say Vortex is a perfectly safe bet. I've bet on it and so far came ahead.