• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes viper pst substitute? with same features?

rogan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
Tennessee USA
I bought a new rifle last month. I have been waiting for the vortex to come in stock. while waiting i dyed the stock. bedded the stock. installed rings and picatinny rail, rail mount for bipod, adjusted trigger, ordered ammo. its killing me to look at the rifle but not shoot it.

I can afford the razor hd, but i want to buy two pst one for 17hmr and one for new gun. just one reticle to learn.

Need a good substitute. prefer the same price range. must have zero stop

Re: viper pst substitute? with same features?

Sadly, the ZS feature hasn't caught on with most scope manufacturers yet.
You will find, to my knowledge, no other scopes in the same price range that offer that feature.
As a PST owner, I would say it will be worth the wait.

I don't think it exists. The PST is amazing for the money, so I say either go with that, or suck it up and go with the Razor HD.

I say get the Razor. I had a 4-16 PST and while it was as good as my MK4 I wanted something that made me say wow. The Razor did that for me. The PST is definitely a great scope for the money though. Good Luck

I ordered and received my first 4-16x50 FFP Mil/Mil pst last week and had the pleasure of taking it out for a day of fun.Mounted it on my 24in grendel,I have to say it was the fist time i enjoyed shooting at multiple distances 100yrd,565yrds and even 1000yrds.Will be buying a few more in the coming months and i think it is the best bang for the buck.

Also was not that hard to change from MOA to MIL just need to understand the math or run a ballistic program for a few trips out.

thanks for the information. saved me time on a futile search for a substitute.

I have talked my self out of the razor hd three times dont tempt me.

A patient gunsmith can make a "poor man's zero stop". Find a scope with 45moa of total elevation. Get a 20moa base. Theoretically you shoiuld have 42moa of up and 3 moa of down. The gunsmith can shave the base a bit to make it close, although if you get within 3moa that might be fine right there.

buy a razor and get a picatinny rail for the 17hmr and just move the scope back and forth

The closest substitute is the Weaver 3-15x EMDR scope, doesn't come with zero stop but has locking turrets.

JP that might be the answer the 17 shoots pretty flat. the 100 yrd zero wont change that much right? maybe .5 mil?

with identical rail the mounting position wont affect the zero?

Is the answer yes on both?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The closest substitute is the Weaver 3-15x EMDR scope, doesn't come with zero stop but has locking turrets. </div></div>

I agree with this. Plus it has better glass, at least for the ones I have seen. A great scope if you can live with the locking turrets. Another option is the new Bushnell Tactical 3-12 DMR with the G2 reticle. I haven't read many reviews but its big brother, the 3.5x21, is getting great reviews and the elite line was solid to begin with so I would feel pretty confident in its performance.

Scot E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nlrs308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JP that might be the answer the 17 shoots pretty flat. the 100 yrd zero wont change that much right? maybe .5 mil?

with identical rail the mounting position wont affect the zero?

Is the answer yes on both?

</div></div>

I dont know, you just have to find out that data if thats the way you go. However, i dont think it should be an issue because that zero change is something you should log in your data book(s) anyway. It is the same concept for zeros at different temperatures. For example, if you zero your gun/scope/load at 75 degrees, you need to record the zero shift at other temps...like, oh its 25 degrees today, i need to move 0.2 mils up for my 100yd zero.

Same with moving the scope from one rifle to another, when you put the scope on the 17, you know you need xx mils up/down and xx mils left/right, then reset your turrets to line up the zero and you're gtg.

Its doable.

Which PST are you considering? Have you looked at the IOR 4-16x50 FFP? They are a little more than the PST but less than the Razor. Plus they have the secondary impact indicator which should work for an alternate zero on another rifle, if I understand their operation correctly.

Although I don't have any first hand experience with this optic, I am strongly considering one against a PST also.

Thank you guys alot. wish i had asked a couple of question before i purchase my rifle.

decision is tougher but i am more informed. really starting to like the bush hdmr. weight and size are really great. locking turret ok but no zero stop.

ever get in your car and someone has adjusted the seat, mirrors and steering. you get the idea

Call Zia sporting goods in Farmington new Mexico, last week they had pst's in stock, probably could mail one to you