• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST vs. Nightforce NXS $1000 Difference?

dldavis

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2011
San Antonio,Texas
Is there a $1000. difference between the Viper PST 6-24X50 and the Nightforce 5.5-22X50 NXS?? Will the nightforce out perform the Vortex by $1000. ??? I will only be shooting up to 500 yards. Looking forward to your imput.
Thanks

Re: Viper PST vs. Nightforce NXS $1000 Difference?

Will the Razor out perform the PST by the same margin?

I asked just about the same question several months ago and got answers all over the place. I had the money for a Nightforce and really thought I needed one, but when it came down to it, I just could not justify it to spend that much money for a scope that i would not use very much. I just shoot with friends and really dont shoot that much. I just shoot out to 700 yards. I chose the pst 6x24x50. I cant say for sure if it was a good choice or not, I am on the waiting list for it, hopefully will get it soon. The pst had a lot of features that I want/would like so that is the route I went. I have a savage 10 fcp-k 308 and it shoots great, that is what the pst will be put on. I mostly target shoot but hope to hunt with it some. I dont shoot matches nor will I. The end product I want is an accurate rifle with a good scope. Now many will tell you to go Nightforce, and they are great scopes, but dont let someone else spend your money. I hope the pst is all that I have read it is, and if it is, it will be good enough for me. You cant miss what you have never had.

I have had the opportunity to look through both of these scopes- not at the same time mind you. That being said, yes, there is a $1000 difference. Nightforce glass is amongst the finest out there- period. Are you getting the same quality in a PST??- of course not.
Nightforce NXS scopes have been proven to be extremely reliable and durable. Have you seen the pic of a Nightforce with a bullet hole through it and the accompanying story? Possibly someone will add it in this thread. I haven't heard anything on the reliability or durability on the PST.
The PST is a great scope that offers great features for the price point they are in. Is it comparable to the NXS, not a chance. Is the quality of the Nightforce worth the extra cost? Well, that would be up to the you. $1000 is a considerable amount for me, but worth it. Is it for you?
I can say that once you have used a high-end scope, you will see the difference. It's one of those things that you have to see to believe- at least it has been for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you seen the pic of a Nightforce with a bullet hole through it and the accompanying story? Possibly someone will add it in this thread. </div></div>

nxsd.jpg

SA-Lee,

For wht it's worth: I don't know how the Viper compares to a Nightforce but I do know how a z5 Swarovski does. When I compared the two I own on a scope chart at 700 yards the z5 needed 25X while the Nightforce needed only 20X to make out the same detail. Also the Nightforce is better in low light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had the opportunity to look through both of these scopes- not at the same time mind you. That being said, yes, there is a $1000 difference. Nightforce glass is amongst the finest out there- period. Are you getting the same quality in a PST??- of course not.
Nightforce NXS scopes have been proven to be extremely reliable and durable. Have you seen the pic of a Nightforce with a bullet hole through it and the accompanying story? Possibly someone will add it in this thread. I haven't heard anything on the reliability or durability on the PST.
The PST is a great scope that offers great features for the price point they are in. Is it comparable to the NXS, not a chance. Is the quality of the Nightforce worth the extra cost? Well, that would be up to the you. $1000 is a considerable amount for me, but worth it. Is it for you?
I can say that once you have used a high-end scope, you will see the difference. It's one of those things that you have to see to believe- at least it has been for me. </div></div>
+1

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. Keep that in mind and yes nightforce glass is nice. So is vortex razor and for the money and when they come off of back order the pst will work fine as well.

I have both the PST 6-24X50 SFP and the Nightforce 5.5-22X50. To be honest, when you just lay them both side by side, the Nightforce looks and feels more substantial. When you look through them, the glass almost seems to be about the same. When you actually get them out using them, you start to see the differences like the amount of distortion through the scope when under fire. The resolution at longer ranges. The feel of the clicks and the ease of use of the dials. And the toughness. The Nightforce wins on all points.

Keep in mind that I am kind of hard on my equipment. I take care of it, but don't baby it. My Nightforce has dings and rub marks all over it from being dropped, slid down hills, etc. and it has seen thousands of rounds of .308.

When the PST was being released, the buzz was that it was going to be a tough scope with everything that you'd need, so I bit. $750, I figured, what the heck. So, I bought one. On the first trip to the range, I noticed that I had about used up all of my elevation adjustment and windage to the left to get it zeroed at 100. So...I sent it to Vortex. They told me that nothing was wrong with it, but to accommodate me, they "added" 10 mins of elevation at the expense of down adjustment. That's what they told me. They also told me that they went through the scope and that all was as it should be. I get it back and all seems well. I get it zeroed with a good bit of elevation to spare. I put a few hundred rounds through the .308 it was on top of.

I sold the .308 that the PST was on top of, so I put the PST on top of a 10/22 build that I did to shoot rimfire matches with. I put it on the .22, zeroed it at 50, shot one match with it. After the match, I went to start shooting again and noticed that the reticle was canted and thought, "so that's what was going on."

So...back to Vortex it went, AFTER they had already just been through it to verify that all was ok. I paid $1500 for the Nightforce and $750 for the PST. Now, which do you think I feel that I paid too much for?

I have an F1 and love it! I also have a PST 1-4 on order. The PST has a lifetime warranty as does the NXS. I would say that if you are just a recreational shooter and you can afford to be without your scope for awhile if you need to utilize the warranty, then why not get the PST? Shoot it for awhile and upgrade later on if you believe that you want the NXS, its that simple. PSTs seem to hold their value pretty well on the hide, if you sell a used one you may only take $100- $200 loss if you take care of it.

I have not had an F1, but have heard excellent things and honestly never have heard a single negative.

I have owned several SFP NF's and a couple PST's and would not trade a PST straight up for any SFP NF.

To me, and for my needs, the PST is superior to the NSX, not really even close. More features, less money, and gives up nothing to the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had the opportunity to look through both of these scopes- not at the same time mind you. That being said, yes, there is a $1000 difference. Nightforce glass is amongst the finest out there- period. Are you getting the same quality in a PST??- of course not.
I can say that once you have used a high-end scope, you will see the difference. It's one of those things that you have to see to believe- at least it has been for me. </div></div>

I simply couldnt disagree more.

I think people automatically assume they are getting what they pay for and since the PST offers so much for so little, people cant see that Vortex is in the habit of offering more for less. That is why their VIP warranty is so important. Makes it easier for people who think that you cant offer this many features and so much quality for such a great price to pull the trigger.

I wish Vortex would get their supply issue resolved so more people could see they are what they claim to be.

For 500 yards the PST will be fine. If you think you'll ever shoot farther or might want to resale your scope down the road spring for the NXS.

Take into account the bias you're hearing. People tend to only recommended the scopes they own so you'll only ever get unbiased information with your own eyes. Personally, I would go with the PST for your application strictly because the difference in glass and options isn't note-worthy enough to justify an extra $1000 at a max of 500 yards. If you look around you'll find plenty of PSTs for sale a local Sportmans Warehouse has had a few on on their display for about a month now.

For the record, I don't own any PSTs and have four NF NXSs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wish Vortex would get their supply issue resolved so more people could see they are what they claim to be. </div></div>

In the mean time, they're losing customers. They lost me to a fourth NF but that was really due to being 'bumped' to a higher number on a waiting list which aside from not meeting production demands, wasn't their fault.

Where can I get one of these <span style="font-style: italic">"NightForce NSX"</span> scopes? Is that anything like the Acura NSX sports car?

I had been looking long and hard at the Viper PST 6-24 when I was putting my rifle together but many of the posts within this forum made me take a look at the <span style="font-weight: bold">NightForce NXS</span> line.

NightForce comes highly recommended by Lowlight (amongst a vast majority of other Hide members) and that was good enough for me to choose NightForce as my first scope. Mine is a <span style="font-weight: bold">NightForce NXS</span> 5.5-22x50 and I couldn't be happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had an F1, but have heard excellent things and honestly never have heard a single negative.

I have owned several SFP NF's and a couple PST's and would not trade a PST straight up for any SFP NF.

To me, and for my needs, the PST is superior to the NSX, not really even close. More features, less money, and gives up nothing to the NF. </div></div>

That's a first.

Its going on a Rock River 308 with heavy bull barrel. Shooting pigs in south Texas.As far a SFP or FFP??? Looking for sugjestion.
Thanks

I was just in the same boat you're in lee.

I started wanting a pst because of the high value to options and all the good things I've heard.

I also considered the NSX because I've had a chance to look through a friends and was very impressed.

Initially cost was a factor so I was leaning towards the PST but the long wait time really turned me off.

So then I really looked into the new weaver tactical 3-15 and I was settled on that.

Then I started reading about the new 5-20 HD that SWFA is coming out with and I changed my mind again, I'm gonna hold out for one of those now.

They will be a bit more expensive that a pst but still cheaper than a NSX and they are know for having great glass and durability.

Check them out there are a few threads going on them right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had an F1, but have heard excellent things and honestly never have heard a single negative.

To me, and for my needs, the PST is superior to the NSX, not really even close. More features, less money, and gives up nothing to the NF. </div></div>

That's a first. </div></div>

You have to consider the fact that Hydro owns several PSTs (he has said so in past threads) so you have to take into account bias... Everything you hear on this forum is going to be biased one way or the other so take advice with a grain of sand... I prefer an NXS over a PST any day but if money is a factor (and when isn't it?) I would go with the PST in the case of the Op who is only shooting to 500 yards. The people you really have to watch out for are the ones who are emotionally invested in their gear... </div></div>

You have to come to your own conclusions as to who is biased and who is not.

That is the quandary on any internet forum. If you spend a decent period of time on any given board, and you possess even a basic ability to discern bullshit from objective opinion, then you can gather good insight before dropping the coin.

Frankly, I dont give a shit how you feel about my opinion, but I can tell you this. I know I am objective when I say that I have found the PST in particular, and all Vortex product in general to be the a great value.

I have nothing against NF. I have owned quite a few of them and felt they were excellent products. However, on every single one I have tried, I was not that impressed with the glass. It seems to be unique to NF for me, but there is a distinct look to it. It works great, but it appears "foggy" or "soft" to me, for lack of a better term.

Fortunately, perfect glass is simply not critical for what I do. But when I am discussing that aspect of an optic, no matter how unimportant it is in my opinion, I am going to give my straight opinion on it.

I have owned several PST's. And NF's, and USO's and Premier's and Schmidt's and Leupold etc....

According to your flawed presumption, I should be brand biased towards all of them. That is stupid. If someone saved all their pennies for a couple years and dropped the money on one high end optic, and wasnt inclined to be objective, then maybe you would be right. But your over simplification of my thoughts on the subject render your opinion irrelevant to any objective reader.

It may piss off some people who are emotionally invested in their glass that costs 300% more than the PST but performs no better, but it is still a fact, as far as I am concerned.

I have spent the time with the glass, side by side, and stand by my assertion. I speak very highly of Vortex's product <span style="font-style: italic">because</span> of this fact, as opposed to breaking my bank account buying one and then making up good reviews about it. Like many seem to do.

That said, I have not owned or used and FFP NF, which would be a more fair comparison against the FFP PST.

However, as I mentioned earlier, through using this board for several years, I have come to understand there are posters here who seem to be perfectly objective, so I trust their opinions. And some of them have repeatedly said that the NF F1 is a superior product in all regards to the NXS. I am sure it is a phenomenal optic, but I wont be buying one. Or any more Schmidt's, USO's Leupold's and most definitely not Premier's.

The 6-24 FFP PST's have proven to me that, unless I am just requiring a cool name on the side of my glass to impress folks at the range, the PST is simply sufficient to meet all my needs. So why buy a $2500 anything, when that would outfit 3 rifles with PST's?

You dont have to agree, and it literally couldnt me any less important to me.

But to come on a public forum and question my integrity, because you dont like what I am saying is bullshit. If you have some evidence that I am trying to sell Vortex product, and offering bad info to fellow shooters, then post it up.

If not, keep your bullshit to yourself.

Not worth the trouble man.

"You have to consider the fact that Hydro owns several PSTs (he has said so in past threads) so you have to take into account bias... "

You clearly stated that I was being less than honest due to the fact that I owned PST's.

That's bullshit, and I said as much.

ETA- You said- "This is exactly why I mentioned 'emotionally vested' responses because I knew from your past posts that you would take the bait and make my point for me and you did.."

A- You are a fool if you consider me telling you to STFU as taking bait.

B- You essentially are admitting to trolling with your bait comment. Color me surprised.

C- Where are you coming up with all the "as usual" and "from previous comment" bullshit.

I have no idea who you are, and dont recall ever having a conversation with you. My statements have been consistent. I have used pretty much every scope that is considered high end, and I think the FFP PST is the best value going. How you feel about that is irrelevant, it is my opinion. You can think whatever you want, but unless you have some proof, it is foolish to come on here and publicly imply that I am dishonest.

Chill the fuck out.

Well I'm a real Nightforce man and if you are a real man you will go with Nightforce!

Nightforce is indestructible and very tactical.

Also, I like to fondle my knobs. Fondling my knobs on a Nightforce just isn't comparable to fondling my knobs on other scopes. It's much more manly to fondle my knobs on a Nightforce scope!

Another thing! When you see a guy at the range fondling the knobs on his Nightforce scope, it makes you feel smarter because you're not fondling a Nightforce alone. Anymore.

And a Nightforce scope worked with a bullet hole in it. Could you imagine another scope working with a bullet hole in it? That's right! Neither could I!

Nightforce! There is no substitute!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm a real Nightforce man and if you are a real man you will go with Nightforce!

Nightforce is indestructible and very tactical.

Also, I like to fondle my knobs. Fondling my knobs on a Nightforce just isn't comparable to fondling my knobs on other scopes. It's much more manly to fondle my knobs on a Nightforce scope!

Another thing! When you see a guy at the range fondling the knobs on his Nightforce scope, it makes you feel smarter because you're not fondling a Nightforce alone. Anymore.

And a Nightforce scope worked with a bullet hole in it. Could you imagine another scope working with a bullet hole in it? That's right! Neither could I!

Nightforce! There is no substitute!

</div></div>

OK, that was funny as shit.

Levity is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I've always thought that was sort of a BS advertisement as well. I suspect any scope even a wally-world scope/PST/SBPMII/USO/etc.. would keep working with a hole in the same place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I've always thought that was sort of a BS advertisement as well. I suspect any scope even a wally-world scope/PST/SBPMII/USO/etc.. would keep working with a hole in the same place. </div></div>

And hold its zero? I doubt it.

I think some consider the cost and what they will be doing with these optics. Which is fine. Now would you take a wally world scope to combat?

I just can't see how you can even begin to compare a NF to a wally world scope. Or even a PST.

I've been watching this thread for a while with some interest and a bit of amusement. Before I weigh in though, let me make it perfectly clear that I have never owned a Nightforce product. Not because I don't think they make good products, or that their products are a good value (I personally believe that the entire Tactical scope market is insanely overpriced, so they are not out of line from *that* perspective). But because they don't make a product in the category I desire.

So let's address the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SA-Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a $1000. difference between the Viper PST 6-24X50 and the Nightforce 5.5-22X50 NXS?? Will the nightforce out perform the Vortex by $1000. ??? </div></div>

If you are one of the few that want a 6-24 SFP PST, then I would argue that no, the NXS is NOT worth $1000 more, *unless* you need elevation for LR shooting or your life depends on your scope. In that scenario, I would buy the NXS every day and twice on Sunday due to its extended internal elevation and long track record of durability and reliability. Putting rounds downrange under 1500 yds., tracking, reticle holds, etc? The PST is perfectly adequate.

If you are one of the majority, that are eagerly anticipating their 6-24 FFP PST, then I would argue that Nightforce offers no direct competitor, so the question is moot.

Having said all that, from the perspective of currently being the owner of a Vortex Razor, using a friends Vortex PST 4-16, owning a 6-24 PST as well as using the Weaver 3-15 Tactical, I have formed the following opinion. Note that I said opinion, as many in this thread have voiced their opinions from their perspective, based on information or data that is pertinent to them... The Razor and the Weaver 3-15 have a similar visceral "feel" that the Nightforce scopes exude. Solid. Rugged. Dependable. Robust. Those are all words that come to mind when I pick one up, uh, fondle the turrets (jeffersonv might just owe me a new keyboard for that...) or just run the mag. ring or parallax knob. The PST's just do not give me that same sense. When it came time to decide if the PST was going to permanently reside on top of my rifle, the issue of limited elevation and lack of confidence in the mechanical reliability over the long haul made me reconsider my options. These are MY opinions, based on MY criteria and MY experience. I share them so you can compare to your own and make judgements, not so you can say that I said that X scope is "better".

I mention this because when I read the question of NF vs. PST, what I read between the lines is, "will this scope last forever?" (because the NF scopes do, almost literally). And my answer is, I'd put my money on the NF, but Vortex will fix your scope over and over, no questions asked, for free. Forever (or until they longer exist). I just don't like the idea of having scopes in the mail instead of on my rifle.

YMMV.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I've always thought that was sort of a BS advertisement as well. I suspect any scope even a wally-world scope/PST/SBPMII/USO/etc.. would keep working with a hole in the same place. </div></div>

And hold its zero? I doubt it.

I think some consider the cost and what they will be doing with these optics. Which is fine. Now would you take a wally world scope to combat?

I just can't see how you can even begin to compare a NF to a wally world scope. Or even a PST. </div></div>

LOL, well when you start adding conditions such as holding it's zero and the like all bets are off for the Wally-world scope, good point. I wouldn't own a wally-world scope much less take on into the field. The Wally-world example is a bit of a stretch you're right but I bet a USO/SB/etc. would take the same damage and keep on ~ticking.

I am heavily weighing both these scopes to mount on my LR 308. From what I have read here and a few dozen other places the PST will do everything I need it to do which is by and large hunting under 500 yards. My quandry is that if I get the PST I will always have in my mind that I should have gotten the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am heavily weighing both these scopes to mount on my LR 308. From what I have read here and a few dozen other places the PST will do everything I need it to do which is by and large hunting under 500 yards. My quandry is that if I get the PST I will always have in my mind that I should have gotten the NF.</div></div>

If you get the PST, shoot it for a while, and don't like it you can always sell it here and upgrade.

I'm telling you, those scopes sell like hot cakes here, usually within $100 or so of their purchase price. Watch the Optics for sale forums. I really don't think you can go wrong by starting out with a PST and upgrading later on if you so desire.

I went with a $600 leupold for almost ten years before I bought my F1. Their was no way I could have dropped that kind of coin on a scope until very recently.

Sift through the hyperbole and you get some key information - you really want to think about - define - what your using the scope for as others have posted. I have heard a saying that [paraphrasing] amatuers talk equipment and exp operators talk about how-things-work & function. I am not an expert - but it seems that the ones I know talk about HOW you are using something. I have a Zeiss scope with a Z1000 reticle - neat, very cluttered - works well for distance shooting in good light - horrible IMO on fur, impossible at night for me - it has great glass but isnt a twilight scope because of its reticle and MY bad eyesite - the point is how do you want to shoot it - 500 yards of target, varmint hunting etc. My next scope is a NF BR 12-42x56, because of its features for shooting on paper and I want a scope that can wring the absolute best out of my rifle - I am shooting .4 to .6 MOA @ 300 right now, but want to do better.... to me thats worth an extra $500 to me. I have a couple of Mil dot Zeiss scopes that work much better for me at night - much heavier reticle. YMMV and good luck with whatever you get.

Binder- I dont have the time nor the inclination to go through point by point. So, I will summarize.

You came on here and tried to make yourself look better by implying I was intentionally misleading folks because I was "emotionally invested". That is bullshit and I told you as much.

The fact that you cannot distinguish between bullshit, and someone who is genuinely amazed that Vortex can offer such a product at such a price.

Again, I dont care how you feel about my opinion, but I do care when some yahoo who doesnt know me comes on here attacking my credibility in the hopes of making themselves seem wise.

You dont have to agree with my opinion, but if you have any class you can figure out a way to voice your differing opinion without saying I am misleading someone because I am so gaga over PST's.

The fact is this. After careful consideration, and comparing the PST to many scopes that cost 3-4 times as much, I am sincerely amazed.

Nobody in the optics business is doing what the PST is. This level of quality in build, glass, features and value is worthy of noting.

It may help lots of guys who read here and elsewhere and think they must spend $2500 to get a quality optic that will perform. This may delay their purchase for a year or more, or cause them to cut corners elsewhere.

Vortex has changed the game IMO by releasing something that excels at everything and does so for $850.

That is not emotional investment. That is clear fact for this user, after deliberate debate and comparison.

So disagree all you want, but cut the implications.

You guys know how much I like NF, but I got to play with one of the new PSTs at Hardrock today and Imust say that I am very impressed. The adjustments were very crisp and the glass was a clear as it gets. The one I saw as a SFP mil/mil but the reticle is is very much like the MLR.

The guy that shot with it, scored 2x better than me with me using my PH 5-25. Though I didnt make it to practice if he happens to read this
smile.gif

What are you going to be hunting at under 500 yards with the scope? Do you realize that both of the scopes that you are considering are whoppers. I mean, they are big. If you are going to be hunting large game, you might want to consider something lighter and more compact. I do believe that Nightforce has that market almost cornered with their 2.5-10X32 models. The 5.5-22X50 will really add a lot of bulk and weight and is difficult to use in the field at anything under around 150 yards. I believe that 10X is more than enough for large game at the distances that you're talking about.

In any case, if you decide to go the way of the PST, I have a SFP 6-24X50 coming back from Vortex that I might be selling when it gets back. Since it's for my rimfire, I'm thinking I might go with a Sightron.

Oh boy TonyAngel, what was the PST back to Vortex for??

Re: Viper PST vs. Nightforce NXS $1000 Difference

I have posted this before, but it might be useful here.

Yesterday I shot my first competition at 1,000 yds. in benchrest class. The scope I have is the new Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm. My rifle I have it on is a Savage Target action duel port with the target Accu-Trigger set at 18 ounces. It has a EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail with Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm Rings. I'm shooting a 6mm Norma BR with CCI BR4 primers, Varget and Berger 105 gr. Hunting VLDs.

I had never shot at paper targets at 1,000 yds. before and was worried that I would not even hit the paper since we were only allowed 3 sighters before the 10 shot string for score & group size.

I used the JBM program to to figure how many MOAs I needed to adjust from my 200 yd. zero for 1,000 yds. Now I had to adjust the PST 27 MOA which is 108 clicks. I have been practicing counting those clicks quite a few times, because when I get set up on the shooting bench I do not want to make a mistake. The point is that I have adjusted the turrets many times up and down.

When I shot the 3 sighters the pit crew said my three shots were centered at 4 o'clock just outside the 10 ring and only 4" across. WOW boy was I happy. I then adjusted one click left and one click up. Then I had to shoot my very first 10 shot string for score & group size. Oh, forgot to mention that the mirage was terrible. I had to turn down the power to 12x so I could see the target better which everyone else did with their much more expensive scopes.

The PST preformed great even with the reticle it has for the 1,000 yds. The repeat adjustments of the turrets were spot on. I don't know how they could be more accurate and the glass very clear except for the mirage which affects all scopes.

The first relay was scored like this. 91-1x out a possible 100 with a group size of 14+1/8". The shots were centered perfectly in the middle of the target.

The second relay was centered about 6" above the first (wind changed) it scored 82-no x with a group size of 17+5/8".

In conclusion I am extremely happy with this scope and can't wait for the next match on May 28.

Almost for got to tell you that I came in second place for score with a total of 173-1x and the guy that came in first place had a score of 174-1x. I was so close, but sooo far away.

40gt

PS: Since the 1,000 yd. shoot I checked my 200 yd. zero and after adjusting the PST back down I shot a 5 shot 3/4" group in the center of the X ring. How could it be more accurate than that?

I went through the same dilemma a couple months back...I was saving up for a high end scope and when I got to around 900$ the Viper became soooo tempting. I did my research and ended up purchasing a Nightforce from another member of the Hide. Best decision I ever made and I dont see myself buying anything else in the future. If you but the viper you will continually ask yourself "What If". PM me if you have any questions.

PS: I did not like the engineering direction Vortex went when designing their Zero Stop. My Nightforce Zero Stop is ABSOLUTE!!! Meaning once you set your Zero, when you dial for elevation and want to return to Zero, IT STOPS AT ZERO! The Vortex uses shims and unless you get lucky with your Zero the shims wont be exact. Meaning when you dial back it will allow you to go past your zero and then you must dial back up to zero from there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS: I did not like the engineering direction Vortex went when designing their Zero Stop. My Nightforce Zero Stop is ABSOLUTE!!! Meaning once you set your Zero, when you dial for elevation and want to return to Zero, IT STOPS AT ZERO! The Vortex uses shims and unless you get lucky with your Zero the shims wont be exact. Meaning when you dial back it will allow you to go past your zero and then you must dial back up to zero from there... </div></div>

I actually prefer the shims. Very simple and rock solid.

Mine goes to .5 mil below zero, same as on my Schmidt PMII's.

There are times when one needs to dial under zero.

I dont, but there are plenty of guys who compete that need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a review of the Viper PST vs Leupold and Nightforce. It includes through the scope pics of each. Notice the diff in clarity at Max power and make your own decision. Hope my posts help.

Vortex Viper Vs Nightforce NXS vs Leupold MK4

</div></div>

Wow, that PST is pretty fuzzy at max but still very usable and through the scope pics are bullshit anyway. Again lets keep in mind that the OP stated he only was going to be shooting to 500 yards. Again, I don't own a PST but for what the OP is looking for I think it's his best bet. Even if he decides later that he needs more he can always unload the PST and upgrade without being out much. What do you guys think the re-sale on the PST is going to be? I'm thinking FFP is going to be at least $500 if not more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS: I did not like the engineering direction Vortex went when designing their Zero Stop. My Nightforce Zero Stop is ABSOLUTE!!! Meaning once you set your Zero, when you dial for elevation and want to return to Zero, IT STOPS AT ZERO! The Vortex uses shims and unless you get lucky with your Zero the shims wont be exact. Meaning when you dial back it will allow you to go past your zero and then you must dial back up to zero from there... </div></div>

I actually prefer the shims. Very simple and rock solid.

Mine goes to .5 mil below zero, same as on my Schmidt PMII's.

There are times when one needs to dial under zero.

I dont, but there are plenty of guys who compete that need it. </div></div>

To each his own...I love my Nightforce Zero Stop and as of right now I don't compete but should I ever do so I'll just set my ZeroStop to go past Zero .5Mils or whatever's needed.

If you need to shoot something closer than your zero, holding under is much faster than dialing. That's why the MLR/P4 reticles are the way they are.

I love all the people that talk about "holding under" for shots closer than zero (esp with a 100yd zero). Tells me right off the bat that you are talking about something you have no experience with.

The reference by hydro556 to leaving a 1/2 mil under the zero stop leads me to believe we aren't talking about holding under from a 500yd zero.....

There are times to dial under, but its not for closer shots
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Binder- I dont have the time nor the inclination to go through point by point. So, I will summarize.</div></div>

'and yet again you still keep coming back for more... I'll go easy on you this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You came on here and tried to make yourself look better by implying I was intentionally misleading folks because I was "emotionally invested". That is bullshit and I told you as much.</div></div>

Again proving my point...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that you cannot distinguish between bullshit, and someone who is genuinely amazed that Vortex can offer such a product at such a price.</div></div>

Confusing me with somebody else? When/where did I say that? In fact that is exactly opposite of what I have said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, I dont care how you feel about my opinion, </div></div>

Never said that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont have to agree with my opinion, but if you have any class you can figure out a way to voice your differing opinion without saying I am misleading someone because I am so gaga over PST's.</div></div>

You completely missed the point... and if you weren't so invested in this you would have seen that we actually have the same opinion...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact is this. After careful consideration, and comparing the PST to many scopes that cost 3-4 times as much, I am sincerely amazed.</div></div>

That's EXACTLY what I've been saying too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody in the optics business is doing what the PST is. This level of quality in build, glass, features and value is worthy of noting.</div></div>

See above...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex has changed the game IMO by releasing something that excels at everything and does so for $850.</div></div>

Couldn't agree more, I would have one on my newest built except the optics vendor 'bumped' my place on the waiting list from 4th to 9th causing me to give up and go with another NF. I do still plan on getting on for some future rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So disagree all you want, but cut the implications. </div></div>

::Facepalm:: </div></div>

Posting in a thread that pertains to something I am interested in, does not equate to "coming back for more". I swear, you are either a female or like 12 years old.

You are repeatedly making stupid comments and sounding as if I actually give a fuck about any of your thoughts beyond the one where you called me dishonest.

The more you talk, the less intelligent I think you are.

I have no desire to debate you, or even converse with you. The only reason I even know you exist is because you are childishly trying to argue with me after I told you to shut the fuck up after basically calling me a liar.

Backtrack all you want, but when you publicly post on a forum, cautioning one to "remember he has PST's and is emotionally invested", you are calling me less than honest.

It reeks of an internet badass. Can you just block my comments or something and focus your laser beam of stupid of another member? Please.

You both sound pretty childish... How about the two of you let it go so the thread can stay focused on the OP's original question instead of back and forth bickering, save that for ARF.com

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You both sound pretty childish... How about the two of you let it go so the thread can stay focused on the OP's original question instead of back and forth bickering, save that for ARF.com

Just my .02 </div></div>

Yeah, I agree & that's what I've been saying for a while now. I think the OP's question has been answered several times already so this threads ready to die...

Apparently HB is not familiar with debate.

One is not won by saying "I won".

The internet is full of keyboard badasses, usually I dont bother, and wouldnt have this time if not for the uncalled for implication of dishonesty on my part.

Fact is, in my opinion the PST is the best value going, got zero to do with emotional investment. As illustrated by my point that I own and have owned most every decent scope. But you possess that critical trait of a fool, the ability to answer the question you wanted to hear as opposed to addressing what was said. If you dont like my saying so, skip over the post and continue with your self aggrandizing, auto-erotism.

Just leave me out of it.

OP. Both optics will suit you fine. If you can, put hands on both and buy what you like.

Hi i just would like to try and steer you into a different direction. i personaly would advise you to look at a lower powered scope even a 3-12 without adjustable paralax would be benificial if you are staying inside 500 yards and shooting hogs where you might want to dial the power down to take close shots.
I would look at a 3-12 or 4-16 scope or another scope in that range of power. the Nightforce has a loyal following their F1 would be my choice there but at that price there are other scopes i believe are better for the money. if you can get a first focal plane scope that is reliable then go for it i have heard good things about the Vortex line and having the option of a FFP would likley steer me in that direction and if you compare the FFP Nightforce to the FFP Vortex there is a lot more than a grand extra in it.

If i was you go to a range and see if you canget behind the scope you are thinking of and feel what you would like to buy. otherwise call Scott berish at Liberty Optics he will help you out and if the scope he sells you does not sout you when it arrives he will do everything to get you the scope that does fit.

It all depends onwhat you require in your scope and what money you have available for the purchase.

First, let me preface my comments by letting everyone know I currently own nine (9) NF scopes. I have also owned a few more that were sold off to fund other NF scopes. The scopes have been both NSX and BR models. They are mostly 5.5-22 and mostly MLR/Mrad. I have built this number up over about the last 8 years. This to say that all the scopes during that time period were of the same high quality, had repeatable adjustments, tough as nails and never failed me. I have also recently had 4 NF scope turret conversions done by them. I can honestly say NF has provided me with everything I need and (with the new HS ZS turrets) want in a scope. Also, their CS is great to deal with and got my scopes back even faster than they promised (on the conversions..... never had a warranty issue)
I have tried other scopes during this time (mostly less expensive) and was left lacking. I guess that makes me biased in my opinion too?
Well, I just saw the same PST at the HR match that Beenjammin spoke of. It was of special interest to me because I have a 6x24 FFP Mil/Mil one on the way. I too saw it as a nice scope with good features and value. My initial impression was "it ain't a NF but it ain't bad either". I have to say that it impressed me. But time will tell and I will post my impressions once I have my own unbiased opinion.