• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper VS Viper PST

Skid1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Arvada, CO
Hello all,
I got an early Christmas gift from my wife, a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec .308. I now need a scope for it. It will be a occasional hunting rifle, but want to try some long range competitions with it. I so far I like the Vortex Viper line, but is the PST worth the extra $300 over the plain Viper?

Re: Viper VS Viper PST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
I got an early Christmas gift from my wife, a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec .308. I now need a scope for it. It will be a occasional hunting rifle, but want to try some long range competitions with it. I so far I like the Vortex Viper line, but is the PST worth the extra $300 over the plain Viper? </div></div>

for hunting mabye not, for competition, long range shooting defintally

I have a FFP PST and it just finished a RO PR1-2 class. Worked well, my vote is for the PST.

I have had both, I was using my rifle for hunting only then got into some 1000yd stuff. If I were you I would def get the PST, The glass, body, turrets, reticle, and illum are far better. The extra 300 is money well spent. Im using the 4-16-50 SFP and love it and have shot it out to 1000yds and 16x is plenty.

I have both. Both of them work great and are great overall. If you don't have any crazy needs the regular viper will do just fine. But the PST is a little better in literally every way. Also,to me, the PST tactical feel of them knobs and overall toughness makes the regular viper feel like a toy. Saying all that, I shot with the regular viper for a while, and even shooting out to a mile I had no problem with optical clarity or anything else.

I have both scopes and I can tell you it is worth the $300 that is the difference. It is a much better scope on the tactical level. Do yourself a favor and buy the PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
I got an early Christmas gift from my wife, a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec .308. I now need a scope for it. It will be a occasional hunting rifle, but want to try some <span style="font-weight: bold">long range competitions</span> with it. I so far I like the Vortex Viper line, but is the PST worth the extra $300 over the plain Viper? </div></div>

If the bolded is in your future then yes, its worth the extra dough. I have used both for LR matches and the PST is better suited than the standard Viper.