• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Virgin brass question

Blaktastic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
I just bought 50 pieces of winchester brass that have never been fired. My problem is that some or these cases have way too much headspace (around 10 thou or more). Should I totally disregard this and load them up to get them firefomed to my chamber? Any response would be very helpful.

Re: Virgin brass question

Do a full prep, uniform the primer pocket, deburr the flash holes, FL size them, then deburr the necks in\out, load and shoot.

Butt if the headspace is too big then what is fl sizing gonna do?

I've had a few come up short like yours and dropped the powder charge a hair and shot them with no problem. I dropped the charge just to be safe.

Yes, I would shoot them at a lower charge, fire form them, and you are good to go.
That is a huge discrepancy though for new Win brass. You are saying they are 10 thou under SAAMI spec?

Well no I'm actually not sure because I measured them with a rcbs headspace gauge but some are 10 thou under what my fired brass is.

You need to get a good case gauge that is SAAMI spec. Get a Dillon or Wilson but I would shy away from the Lyman, I've heard of problems with them.

I FL every time, new brass run through the FL with expander ball will iron out the dents, so what if the HS is shorter than your fired brass, it won't be after firing.

Ok, you probably just have a loose/large chamber. Factory rifle? That's the classic: factory rifle reamed to chamber everything, factory ammo/brass designed to chamber in everything. Fire form the brass at a moderate charge, then set the shoulders back .002" from the fired headspace dimension (for a bolt gun.) Are you using the RCBS Precision Mic? That's my favorite.

Yeah I like it so far. I read a few bad things about the dummy round that came with it for overall length but I honestly I find it really easy and convenient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, you probably just have a loose/large chamber. Factory rifle? That's the classic: factory rifle reamed to chamber everything, factory ammo/brass designed to chamber in everything. Fire form the brass at a moderate charge, then set the shoulders back .002" from the fired headspace dimension (for a bolt gun.) Are you using the RCBS Precision Mic? That's my favorite. </div></div>

Targaflorio brought up an interesting point about reseting the shoulders back when your neck sizing. The neck dies I have use a bushing to control the finished neck size. The size of the bushing is used to control the release of the bullet from the case neck. Does reseting the shoulders also aid in release of the bullet?

For 308 Win, the case headspaces on the shoulder. If the brass is fire formed in the same chamber, you can reload it without bumping the shoulders. Bolt gun. Gives the case a tight fit in the chamber. Too much shoulder bump will cause the case to move fore and aft more than necessary as the firing pin strikes the primer and the firing sequence begins. That will affect safety, accuracy, brass life, etc.

Headspace could affect the bullet release in that the position of the cartridge inside the chamber might vary as headspace changes. Also the orientation of the bullet as it is released.