• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Virgin Rem 700 build

dungY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Texas
Hello all new to snipershide here.
i've been searching and creeping on the forum here and there for some time now and finally purchased my rem 700-adl to begin my build. figured its about time i registered.

plans: im looking to go the aics route but will wait until i can afford the stock, until then, im looking to find a good piece of glass to put on the rifle. Mine came completely virgin with no scope mount or anything.
so i guess i'll start there.

what scope mounts have worked for you guys and which do you prefer?
im liking the picatinny rail but am open to other options as well.

platform: remington 700 ADL .308

thanks in advance guys

Re: Virgin Rem 700 build

well, if your are trying to save some money but do it good...try egw base....tps rings and take a look at Super Sniper glass or Falcon Menace glass... I have the Falcon menace 4x14 FFP and it works great at a fraction of the cost of good glass..

good luck.... chris

Seekins 20MOA or Badger 20MOA Rail

If you haven't handled an AICS Stock I'd recommend you find someone close to you that has one and get a feel for it.

Welcome to Sniper's Hide

what's your budget for glass?

if you can swing it, i'd get the weaver tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil. i had the mil/moa version and it's an excellent scope for the money.

if $750 is too much, the SWFA SS line is a great scope to get started with. they're nice scopes to keep around. besides, having an extra scope/stock sitting around is always a good excuse to build another rifle!

a lot of guys here like the bushnell elite line, but i don't have any experience with them.

EGW 1-piece picatinny bases and Burris XTR rings are the best values IMHO

my budget for glass is right around 500 give or take depending on my mood at the time haha

i'd love to handle an aics stock but havn't quite found anyone with one around the dfw area just yet, well that would let me handle it at least.

originally i was looking at the leupold vx-3 line but i may have to look into falcon menace and super sniper glass, still undecided as far as scopes go

sorry kind of an off question, im still learning as i go with this build, but i was looking at the egw rail and they have different moa rails i.e. 0moa 20moa etc. wouldnt this depend on the scope i buy? my understanding is that a 0moa rail has no compensation and is a rail that is "flat" whereas a 20moa rail would angle the scope up compensating for drop please correct me if im wrong and im pretty sure im wrong haha

btw the type of shooting i'll be doing will, realistically, probably be no longer than 200 yds

20 moa base would be the way to go, also don't over look vortex's 6.5x20x50 mil dot scope. decent glass, built well, under 500, but its sfp and mismatched turret/reticle. it is what i bought to get started but i'm goin with the 3x15 ffp weaver here pretty soon

Burris xtr or zee rings are excellent and reasonably priced. I have a bushnell elite tactical 6-24x50 and love it, but is just a bit above your stated budget. Have you looked into a mcree chassis?

i havn't looked into the mcrees chassis how much do they run roughly?

im looking more into the bushnell scope and it's looking quite nice

I love the AICS stock. If you can't get behind one before you order it, order it anyway. You can sell it or trade it no problem very quickly.

As for optics, my friend just for the 3-9x40 VR-X Patrol and it's pretty legit.

Another friend of mine is leaving for A-stan and left his rifle with me. He has a 10x Super sniper and that isn't bad either.

i was too late on the midway bushnell deal, and swfa didn't do the price match

looks like im still on the hunt for a scope

Mcrees is looking great love the adjustability, razor88 do you have the folding stock? if so how is the hinge? any play?

really digging the bushnell i can't wait to get the scope in and start shooting with it.

I was looking at bipods, but i was told that if you add it on the factory rem stock it throws off the accuracy because it touches the barrel?
I thought that it was because it caused the factory stock to flex

obviously it wouldn't be a problem when i change out the stock but should i hold off on the bipod until then?

Look at the HS Precision stock if you're not looking to sink a ton of money into a stock. They're extremely nice, and just as effective, for a fraction of the cost of an AICS. (imo)

was running through the action and noticed that the brass has some scoring. would this be common with a new rifle? would this be something common as far as "breaking in" the rifle? its enough to where if you ran your fingernail across the spent brass you can feel it