• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Virgin Remington 700 Actions :(

vlodpg

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2014
Hello everyone,new guy here who considers himself a RKI when It comes to AR's but zilch for bolt guns.

I have been spending a lot of time reading here & thought I would throw this out.

Just purchased a virgin Remington 700 S/A & being the 1st one to put the bolt into the receiver/cycle the action, noticed unusual (to me that is) wear on the receiver lugs where they contact the bolt lugs.
(See pictures below)

There is less than 50% contact on one receiver lug & 0% on the other. In this day of CNC machinery, I would expect near perfection when it comes to new actions.

I think this is a candidate for the LRI group buy if there is still room!

2po4fo9.jpg

vgmulz.jpg

I'm unsure why you would expect full contact. Take a look at how they are made on YouTube. I don't see any CnC machines

Definitely a LRI candidate, but you should seriously consider a ptg bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm unsure why you would expect full contact. Take a look at how they are made on YouTube. I don't see any CnC machines

In the late 90's when I worked at USRA(Winchester) there were many cnc stations there. I would have expected Remington to be the same but maybe not!
(Off in search on Youtube)

Definitely a LRI candidate, but you should seriously consider a ptg bolt

Tell me more: IE: benefits,etc.....

Better extractor (m16), option for smaller firing pin hole

The locking lugs on Remington actions will only make full (maybe) contact under recoil. Many remingtons have been ruined by owners that didn't know any better trying to lap the lugs. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it. Many have chosen the wrong way.

Matt

GB isn't dead yet. Seeing a small surge due to M700s appearing on shelves again.

we're chippin away. Got sidelined for a few days to get some full build jobs through, but got on TIG welding yesterday. Onto barreling...

C.