• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vise Recommendations For an AR15 Build

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I was leaning towards a Brownells Multi Vise as a book I am reading recommended it, but that vise is no longer available. I have searched this site, and have found a few threads. Looking to get some updated recommendations though. I don't mind spending the money on a good tool. I am a tradesman, so I know that good tools come with a price. Vise will be used for my first AR15 build, and the occasional scope mounting job here and there.

Most bench vices are fine. Nothing special.

A multi-angle vice would be nice for doing precision builds since you could mount the upper vertically for doing receiver face lapping, but this is a nice-to-have, not need-to-have.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Standard bench vise, piece of leather, magazine vise block, upper vise block, AR bench block.

Have those 5 things with some standard punches, roll-pin starter punches, AR armorers wrench, and you're in business for 99% of all things AR.

Reactions: Yasherka

Yuh?

Reactions: Snafu_again
I got a deal on the Real Avid AR armorers kit a few months ago. Just used it the other day. Helpful do far.

A member here recommended me the Magpul BevBlock.

My buddies and I have used it several times and I am happy with it.

Any bench vise works fine. Mine is 80 yrs old.

Last edited:
A set of these are good to have

I was just taking to a colleague about this, he wants a vise but isn’t exactly a handyman and doesn’t want a heavy workbench in his yuppie garage.

I suggested he get a vise that would mount on his trailer receiver on the back of the truck. I think he settled on some sort of suction cup device. Sounds like a really terrible idea, I’d like to see how that works. He was able to torque a barrel on properly, so I guess it wasn’t too big a shit show.

Any full size bench vise mounted to a solid table will do the job. For a complete kit of quality armorers tools check out the Real Avid Masters Kit. It has everything you need to properly build and maintain the AR15 platform. Their armorers wrench / hammer is top notch. Their upper receiver action rod is also on par with the Gieselle reaction rod.

between that kit and a Midwest Industries upper receiver rod you’ll never need another AR tool. This is probably the best upper receiver rod on the market. It has a flat machined on the top that slides down the charging handle slot inside the upper. Helping reduce stress on the index pin slot on the receiver when torquing the barrel nut.

I bought a yost from Home Depot and it has been perfect for a cheap vise
40257475-1F99-4F8E-AF66-0301E64D391F.png

If going with a standard bench vise get one that clamps on both sides for the swivel base. My Craftsman has only one, it wants to lift out of the base when torquing a barrel.

Any vise should do. For upper work my main tool is a Wheeler Delta Series Upper Receiver Action block. Can be used for AR-15 or AR308 stuff. I also got a YHM upper receiver pic rail vise for holding the upper receiver and handguard picatinny aligned while tightening things up.

I had the Wheeler version of that Yost vice and bent the handle & wore out the threaded clamping mechanism after about 10 years of occasional use. For not much more, a legit bench vice would be the way to go.

+1 on the Geissele Reaction Rod. That, a set of punches, armorers wrench (Magpul/Brownells,etc), a torque wrench, and a decent vice are all you need.

The Midwest URR is superior to the Geissele Reaction Rod. If you ever have to take off a stuck barrel nut you will know why. Look up the School of the American Rifle. I highly recommend his class as there is a wealth of knowledge and recommended tool lists. I just end up using a normal vise in the end.

Most bench vices are fine. Nothing special.

A multi-angle vice would be nice for doing precision builds since you could mount the upper vertically for doing receiver face lapping, but this is a nice-to-have, not need-to-have.

Just don't get a small flimsy one so it can handle the torque.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m about 95% convinced with this one. Yup, it’s overkill, but I do a lot of stuff myself around the house. I’ll get my money’s worth out of it...

Attachments

• 9C5B0C05-17BF-4A79-BDD7-589B4433B389.jpeg
    9C5B0C05-17BF-4A79-BDD7-589B4433B389.jpeg
    685.6 KB · Views: 261
+1 on the Geissele Reaction Rod, great tool, they also make a tool to hold the buffer tube/receiver straight, when torqueing the castle nut (not a must have, but I'm a tool whore)

By " Geissele Reaction Rod " are we referring to the older style or the new, patented " Super Reaction Rod "
that eliminates the unspoken problem with index pins?

The Midwest URR is superior to the Geissele Reaction Rod. If you ever have to take off a stuck barrel nut you will know why. Look up the School of the American Rifle. I highly recommend his class as there is a wealth of knowledge and recommended tool lists. I just end up using a normal vise in the end.
I agree with this. Bought one two weeks ago and it made all the difference with a stuck bbl nut.

Any vice will work but a Midwest upper receiver rod and the Geissele Reaction Rod are a must.

Check Craigslist. Can usually find an older better made vise for a lot cheaper than a new chinese made one.

This. Also, you can find vise's on the local online auction places. We have one that has them all the time and you can get a really nice one for a ton cheaper. An Ace Hardware must have gone out of business recently, I picked up lots of high end bits and tools for probably 20% of what they cost normally.