• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vise

I think what you are looking for is actually two different pieces of equipment.
For bench a good stable bipod, for standing a good tripod that some can collapse and spread the legs out and use for prone as well.

Okay, now I’m confused. Are you looking for a vise to use for clamping your rifle while shooting? Or are you looking for a vise to hold the rifle while you are working on it?

Reactions: Taylorbok
Agreed, I’m lost on what you want. This is in the armory section, so I’m assuming it’s a gun vise?

Okay, so in to his original question. I can’t offer any experience since I have a homemade one that works okay and I’m cheap. So I don’t know which ones are working best or are considered worth buying.

Man, this is going to take a week to solve at this rate.

Let us know in detail what exactly you want, let’s not play the girlfriend “guess what I want” bs.

Help us help you.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I can see why he’s asking though. A quick search on amazing-on shows all kinds and types and that’s not including the premium brand offerings:

1716666910051.jpeg

1716666930014.jpeg

1716666958403.jpeg

1716666976533.jpeg

Trying to understand what the OP wants is like trying to read lips in pitch black darkness. @wildturkey2 ...dude, don't spare the electrons...it really doesn't cost more to post complete sentences.

If you want something to work on your gun with....cleaning or whatever...there are options.

Tipton Gun Vise...available from a lot of places

1716667522333.png

If you have a bench vise, then just get some soft jaws....I have a number of products (just google vise soft jaws for rifles) but use this almost exclusively just to hold the rifle by the barrel when working on it. Its from Wheeler. I drilled out a couple of small round depressions with a drill press and epoxied some flat disk rare earth magnets into the side with a single barrel channel (and hence more aluminum to work with). I don't shoot pencil barrels so I don't really care about that side.

1716667907821.png

1716668113777.png

If you are looking for an actual barrel vise with enough grip to allow, there are many to choose from at a lot of different price points.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I use my bench vise and a set of soft jaws from Brownells. Works dandy, I can clean or work on it there. My press is actually mounted to a 4x4 post I clamp in there also, same with my barrel vise for removing barrels.
l_100003410_1.jpg

Reactions: lash
Best gun vise for bench or free standing.
I can't say anything about 'best' but I have the Real Avid one on QD mount.

I'm not a heavy user of vices but for me and my use the one I have fits the bill and I like it a lot.

OK all joking aside before you buy some big bulky expensive contraption that will most likely just get used for cleaning a rifle occasionally the MTM portable cleaning and maintenence stand works pretty well.
It breaks down really compact for storage and really doesn't weigh much at all.
I have had one for atleast 15 years but usually just clean rifles using the bipod and rear bag high enough so solvent moves down the bore and not into the breach.

Reactions: lash
OK all joking aside before you buy some big bulky expensive contraption that will most likely just get used for cleaning a rifle occasionally the MTM portable cleaning and maintenence stand works pretty well.
It breaks down really compact for storage and really doesn't weigh much at all.
I have had one for atleast 15 years but usually just clean rifles using the bipod and rear bag high enough so solvent moves down the bore and not into the breach.
. Ok thanks will look in to MTM thanks everyone for all information.

Reactions: XLR308
If you find yourself beyond cleaning needs, putting something together like a small vise on a power arm lets you hold most anything in any direction you want to. This is easily the most used tool on my bench.

Attachments

• vise1.jpg
    vise1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Bigfatcock and lash
I can't say anything about 'best' but I have the Real Avid one on QD mount.

I'm not a heavy user of vices but for me and my use the one I have fits the bill and I like it a lot.
May I ask please how heavy/type of rifle you use the Real Avid with and what you use it for exactly? And by the last part, I mean are you pushing cleaning rods with brushes or tight fitting patches thru the bores with this vise or ????

I ask because...well, I don't think I would put the rifle pic'd below in that type of vise....23 lbs and lots of money, right? I sort of want bank vault tight lock up in a vise (yes, even paranoids have enemies! haha)

1716680822519.jpeg

I do have a Tipton Best (as posted earlier in this thread) for securing a rifle for very casual/light maintenance. But, I have this Wilton mounted to a bench and it swivels and has a rotating head so I can orient it in any direction and its sturdy enough that when I clamp a barrel (mostly with the Wheeler soft jaws/barrel clamp I posted about above) I can clamp it HARD and have confidence its not moving during maintenance.

1716681716557.png

Oh, I was also going to tell the OP about The Dependabilt ARCA/PIC vise jaws. I use this in the Wilton with rifles that have an ARCA rail under the forearm. Excellent product very well made.

1716681973152.png

Last edited:
May I ask please how heavy/type of rifle you use the Real Avid with and what you use it for exactly? And by the last part, I mean are you pushing cleaning rods with brushes or tight fitting patches thru the bores with this vise or ????

I ask because...well, I don't think I would put the rifle pic'd below in that type of vise....23 lbs and lots of money, right? I sort of want bank vault tight lock up in a vise (yes, even paranoids have enemies! haha)

View attachment 8425875

I do have a Tipton Best (as posted earlier in this thread) for securing a rifle for very casual/light maintenance. But, I have this Wilton mounted to a bench and it swivels and has a rotating head so I can orient it in any direction and its sturdy enough that when I clamp a barrel (mostly with the Wheeler soft jaws/barrel clamp I posted about above) I can clamp it HARD and have confidence its not moving during maintenance.

View attachment 8425889

Oh, I was also going to tell the OP about The Dependabilt ARCA/PIC vise jaws. I use this in the Wilton with rifles that have an ARCA rail under the forearm. Excellent product very well made.

View attachment 8425891
Ok thanks

View attachment 8425875

View attachment 8425889

View attachment 8425891
I don't think I would hesitate for 2 seconds using my vice on a rifle like that, or anything even remotely close to it.

As for me, most of my rifles are some variant of an AR. That said a few of them are heavier by design and would probably mimic the weight of something comparable (IE 24" barrel, big optic etc).

Anyway if you want to go all in go check out Fireball Tool on Youtube. He has a series where he builds his own vice. It's really interesting. He also tests numerous different vices to failure.

Reactions: Baron23
I don't think I would hesitate for 2 seconds using my vice on a rifle like that, or anything even remotely close to it.

As for me, most of my rifles are some variant of an AR. That said a few of them are heavier by design and would probably mimic the weight of something comparable (IE 24" barrel, big optic etc).

Anyway if you want to go all in go check out Fireball Tool on Youtube. He has a series where he builds his own vice. It's really interesting. He also tests numerous different vices to failure.

. Ok thanks interesting will look it up .

Guitar or pattern makers vise. The orange is cool of you need to swap barrels, but the pattern makers is probably more useful for the every day cleaning or scope mounting, especially if you don't have ARCA rails on everything you own.

Reactions: carbonbased

View attachment 8425875

View attachment 8425889

View attachment 8425891
I agree with @Baron23. Plastic gun “vises” are total pieces of shit. I owned (briefly) the so-called Tipton’s Best Gun Vise and it was so flexy I could not believe it. Returned it.

If you’re not going to use (or need) an actual bench vise then I suggest what my dad has:
1716954269386.jpeg

I was unimpressed when I saw it but in use it’s pretty awesome. In fact, Tipton’s lower end model uses this same configuration and is better/stiffer than their “Tipton’s Best.”

This place sells it for $122 in oak. I do suggest a hardwood. No affiliation nor do I know if the seller is any good, but you get the idea:

Here’s a different one:
1716955731593.jpeg

Or build yourself one.

If you have Monte Carlo style stocks the rear clamp can have problems, FWIW.

Last edited:
Guitar or pattern makers vise. The orange is cool of you need to swap barrels, but the pattern makers is probably more useful for the every day cleaning or scope mounting, especially if you don't have ARCA rails on everything you own.
Yeah, I forgot about those. Good call.

A modern version of the old Emmert:
1716954617441.jpeg

A different type at Woodcraft or Stewmac:
1716955449140.jpeg

Reactions: lash and sam4886
Wow!

I just got through reading this thread and I feel like you guys have been talking to a female Gen-Z.

There was no sharing of info from the OP.
Direct questions were asked and no-one got a straight answer, nor any additional information to help the OP.

Seems like the OP was saying, "my car is making a noise."

Can you describe the noise?

"I dunno, it's just making a noise and sounds broken."

Well, what kind of noise? Is it's a clacking, a thumping, a rattle?

"Why are you asking me all these questions? It's a noise, that's all."

The major difference is the OP said thanks...

We still don't know what he/she wants the vise (not vice) for.

Reactions: lash and MarinePMI
Wow!

I just got through reading this thread and I feel like you guys have been talking to a female Gen-Z.

There was no sharing of info from the OP.
Direct questions were asked and no-one got a straight answer, nor any additional information to help the OP.

Seems like the OP was saying, "my car is making a noise."

Can you describe the noise?

"I dunno, it's just making a noise and sounds broken."

Well, what kind of noise? Is it's a clacking, a thumping, a rattle?

"Why are you asking me all these questions? It's a noise, that's all."

The major difference is the OP said thanks...

We still don't know what he/she wants the vise (not vice) for.
The important thing here is we still all love each other

Yeah, I forgot about those. Good call.

A modern version of the old Emmert:
View attachment 8427806

A different type at Woodcraft or Stewmac:
View attachment 8427813
I've got the stewmac. I think grizzly does them in red. Works great.

Reactions: carbonbased
This is SH. It's full of armorers, gunsmiths, and machinists who spin up their own barrels. People have rifles with more than 20gs in them. You said you wanted "the best", @CHEYTAC posted "the best" vice, and you LOLed. Clearly you don't want what you asked for.

Next time seek advice by first telling us what you want to do with it rather than just asking for the best, which clearly you don't want.

I'd love an Orange Vice if funds were unlimited. Sadly they are not.

Reactions: lash and Baron23