• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Visited Dead Zero Shooting Park

Thump_rrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
I visited Dead Zero Shooting Park in Spencer Tennessee today. This is the nicest range I have ever shot at. I highly recommend this place for anyone who is in the area.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

They have 7 pistol ranges, shotgun ranges, and a 100-1,000y rifle range with steel and electronic targets.

We shot the 100-1,000y range.
You are provided a tablet which is linked to your targets.
Before shooting at the electronic target you must shoot 1 shot on the steel target at the equivalent range. This is to prevent you shooting the sensors on the electronic target.

I was shooting my Ultimatum Deadline in 6.5 Creedmoor in an MDT ACC chassis topped with a Tangent Theta TT525P.

I was shooting hand loaded ammo out to 600Y.
I was at 0.2MOA after 4 shots at 600y but of course I screwed it up on the 5th shot.

At 800Y I kept everything in the 10 or X-ring for a .74MOA

At 1,000y I had 3 groups in the 0.6MOA range with this one all being in the 10 or X-ring.

I was shooting Hornady Match 147 ELD-M, FGMM with Sierra 140gr SMK’s, and Sierra branded ammo loaded with 140gr SMK’s.

Last edited:
I’m a member there. Pretty awesome place, but even I’m an hour away, so sometimes I don’t get down there as often as I’d like.
Long Rang Steel matches the first Saturday of every month. Come on out!!

My rifle really likes that range.

Range 102622 1000 yards Dead Zero 140 VLDH 43 1 H4350 Alpha Fed205M 2 280.jpg
Range 102622 1000 yards Dead Zero 140 VLDT 42 7 H4350 Hornady Tula LR 2 280.jpg

I’m a member. Really great range and very good staff and support. But the wind is very tricky and seldom consistent there. It’s not uncommon to see the mid-range flags pointing in opposite directions There’s a little dip or valley at about the 300-400 yard line. The YouTube video below of Klemm vs Hogg at the V2 is a good example.

Reactions: Thump_rrr
Yep. The wind will bite your ass there. It’s in a bowl, so it swirls. There is a creek that runs through the dip and I think (can’t prove) it causes some weird thermals.
The guys that win the steel matches I shoot are the guys that can read the mirage (something I’ve got to work on, no, I’m NOT the guy winning🤣).

Reactions: Marine52
My wife and I have been members for about 5 years now. It's truly a top shelf facility and they have brought the V2 Invitational competition there for several years now bringing the top F-Class shooters as well.

Everyone who is mentioning the wind conditions is correct.
I had 3 groups that were in the .2s till the fifth shot and me not paying attention to the wind brought them up to 1MOA or more.

This is my first time shooting over 600M and also at that elevation.
I was impressed that factory ammo was shooting around .5-.6 MOA.

If I lived within 1.5 hours I’d be there every week.

I know this thread is a bit dated but I plan to visit that range in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it very much. I'm sure I will be quite humbled as it's been a few years since I have shot anything over 300 yards. I will be shooting one of the new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Winchester magnum. I don't have any hand loads so it will be Federal GMM 190gr for now. Topped with a Zeiss LRP S3 4x25-50.

Reactions: Thump_rrr
I know this thread is a bit dated but I plan to visit that range in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it very much. I'm sure I will be quite humbled as it's been a few years since I have shot anything over 300 yards. I will be shooting one of the new Remington 700 Long Range in 300 Winchester magnum. I don't have any hand loads so it will be Federal GMM 190gr for now. Topped with a Zeiss LRP S3 4x25-50.
Whatever the amount of ammo you think you will shoot, double it.
I ended up shooting 140 rounds that day.
I'm already planning on going back this summer.

I’m from the Smithville, TN area so not too far from Spencer. I wanted to go shoot there over Christmas while visiting my family but didn’t have time. One day I’m going to go shoot there, have heard nothing but great things about it.

A friend and I went there about a month ago and enjoyed it alot. First range we've ever been to that had a dedicated range for precision rifle. Only weekend we could get back over there is their upcoming steel match on March 2nd. Any of you regulars able to tell me what to expect? It will be my first match and only second time to 1k yards. I figure we aren't gonna do well but will get to learn alot.

Russ spends a lot of time keeping the KD range up to speed. You would be shocked at the number of people who shoot the sensors on the e-targets,etc. I compete on the KD range probably 5-6 times a year in LR Highpower.

They also hold day and night 2/3 gun matches and the Legion 9/11 Memorial Charity Run and Gun for chapter 38 charity of 5SFG. They just did the dirt work and set up a precision rimfire range.

Of course they have a shit ton of shotgun stages all over the property.

Scott has the pro -shop fully stocked and they have quite a bit of ammo, etc available if you run short.

The Jan ice/wind storms hit the KD range hard but I think they have it all back up and running. 60+ MPH freezing wind don’t mix well with frozen uprights.

I sound like a commercial, but having known the guy who designed the KD range since 2001 and knowing Russ for 20 years I know the quality of the people who keep it up and running for us . I absolutely include Scott in the pile of great people there. I really think it’s one of the best public ranges in the country.

Also a member, we shoot the sporting clays courses regularly, just shot the rifle range once, hope to go more frequently as the weather fairs up, I like shooting the steel better than the e targets.

The ROs here are top notch guys, great spotters and love to help whether you're a pro-level competitor or its your first time at distance. The pro shop also runs circles around anything else around.

The website says the owner is DZ, LLC.

Does he still own it?

As an EMT, I doubt he ever had the money. Maybe this Wade Batson guy mentioned as a partner did?

Another, earlier news story about the evidence at trial said he had a .02 blood alcohol level, but this was 4 hours later.

Last edited:
The website says the owner is DZ, LLC.

Does he still own it?

As an EMT, I doubt he ever had the money. Maybe this Wade Batson guy mentioned as a partner did?

Another, earlier news story about the evidence at trial said he had a .02 blood alcohol level, but this was 4 hours later.
His wife is a Dr. in Chattanooga

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum