• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Vodka, best bang for your buck?

Re: Vodka, best bang for your buck?

Gotta say Istanblue
laugh.gif
I spent 6 weeks in Turkey doing geologic field work and this was our go to. Tasted like kerosene, but in a country where alcohol is hard to come by already, we made due.

Besides, without this stuff, we couldn't have made our famous "Turkish Panty-Dropper" drinks.
wink.gif

Vodka-Istanblue-Pure-700-ml.jpg

But seeing how we're in 'Murica, I'd go with Kettle One if I was going cheaper. Prefer goose though.

During high school Orloff Light was always my go to, lol. Tasted like diesel but after the first drink noone cared anymore.

Tito's for sipping -- it's sweet and will NOT mix well in drinks w sour notes.

Costco Kirklands French Vodka. $22 for 1.75L. Made in same distillery as Grey Goose. Most folk can't tell the difference.

It doesn't say vodka on the label, but you'll love it at first taste: Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. They also(of course) have the flavors that have been traditional in the N.C. area; cherry, blueberry, etc. The Apple Pie goes down straight, just a little too easily- be careful! "Dang, that's goooood!"- Jim Tom

Keep the Tito's in the freezer, take it out and shake it once, pour a shot and chase it with a baby dill pickle. Takes the edge off a bad day at work.

This here Polish potato vodka put me in the hospital for AAP, so in my book it's good. Chopin for you fine vodka guys and Kalashnikov streight from Russia is good. Back when you could get 180 proof or whatever everclear, I went around drinking streight shots a whole night and had no tastebuds the next day. Gonna have to try the filter trick myself though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timesublime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
luksusowa.jpg

Really good and not expensive. A true polish potato vodka.

Reviews </div></div>

Best bang, potato to boot. Preferred the original bottle though. Sometimes I'll drop a couple cranberries, blue berries, strawberries or some pineapple in it before I put it in the freezer though that's when I have company coming over. But then I'm Polish, in the 1500's Vodka was used as currency.
Rich

I usually opt for Finlandia. Always in stock at my local place, not spendy, a step up from Stoli or Smirnoff for sure.

On a side note I was just buying a bottle of Fin yesterday and was blown away at all the flavored vodkas. Talk about a specialty. There was probably 3 times the shelf space used for all that Vodka compared to any other one liquor.

Russian Standard hands down. There are now three versions of it and they are all excellent: Russian Standard, Platinum, and Gold. I only recently tried the Gold and quality-wise it was on par with the others. Not the cheapest, but inexpensive and considerably cheaper than it costs in Russia (even in St. Petersburg where it is distilled). Definitely in the best-bang-for-the-buck category.

russian-standard-platinum-1l.jpg

I've not had much, I'm no expert. But I do know it's handy to have around (gallon at a time). I don't care for top shelf, expensive, just want what the title says. Best bang for your buck

A few good ones
Goes great with Tonic and goes down way too easy 21 dollars a half gallon
http://www.monopolowa.at/

Made from Malbec Grapes, interesting taste. I like it but it is not for everyone... drink only with tonic for the taste
PrimoVodka - RS

Turi Vodka
Turi Vodka - wine prices. | Wine-Searcher.com
I can't find this one anymore. I think Bacardi bought them... according to the who is bummer it used to be cheap
TuriVodka.com - Turi Vodka

Try them and let me know what you think

for the most part you can keep your potato whiskey.. I do enjoy drinking a little Tito's Vodka, decently prices and good flavor. I'll stick to real whiskey.

for the most part you can keep your potato whiskey.. I do enjoy drinking a little Tito's Vodka, decently prices and good flavor. I'll stick to real whiskey.

REAL Vodka is made with grain. I've been to quite a few places in Russia and have never seen one potato-based.

Last edited:
Interesting thread... All I can add is that if your tastebuds have been fireformed with Bourbon or Scotch neat, you may want to forget about benign potato or wheat vodka and try some distilled from Rye. I've tried the Chopin Rye and Shakespeare, but Belvadere makes one named intense that I would love to get my hands on.

There is not much to vodka. A true vodka is a neutral spirit made for the purpose of removing all flavor and smell. Most distillers will blend their cuts to give it a little flavor to separate their vodka from the others. What cuts they choose when blending will have the most affect on taste. If it gives you a headache they used a lot of heads in their blend. The water they choose will also have a major influence as most vodkas are around 55% water. That is why you can noticeably change the flavor by running it through a filter. The best vodka is the one you make at home. It's pretty easy. Get a reflux still and have at it.

If you want taste start drinking bourbon or scotch or get a pot still and start making your own. Just kidding. I would never do this because it is illegal.:p

Last edited:
College student here (which I'm pretty sure makes me an unofficial expert). When it comes to cheap vodka what your doing with it makes all the difference. If you are going to mix it with soda or something then you can't go wrong with Brunettes ~$15 for a 1.75L, but if you are going to take shots or pound it to the face then go with Skyy or Svedka

Unless U R drinking it straight...the cheapest is as good as any other...

I have to agree with the Costco vodka... It's pretty good, and has a great price...
Tito's for sipping -- it's sweet and will NOT mix well in drinks w sour notes.

Costco Kirklands French Vodka. $22 for 1.75L. Made in same distillery as Grey Goose. Most folk can't tell the difference.

My favorite is Ketel One, I am a vodka drinker (water and lemon garnish) but also agree that Tito's is very good for the money. Tito's isn't available at all liqour stores and Ketel One is on the higher end. Smirnoff and 3 Olives are the best for the money in my opionion that are at every liquor store I have ever been to.

Your in Texas man. Take my word for it and get a bottle of Tito's Vodka. Made and distilled in Austin and better than Grey Goose hands down. ~$15 / bottle depending on the liquor store.

bottle-titos.jpg

for martinis, it's always been Stoli for me. mixed drinks it's Skyy. but my brother-in-law swears by Tito's. he says best vodka that doesn't cost $40...

In the interest of science and per the advice in this thread, some friends and I set up a little experiment last night. We bought some McCormick's vodka ($11/half gal.), ran some through a new Brita filter, and set up a blind taste test with filtered/unfiltered and some ketel one. Unfiltered was easily identified from the three while filtered was not readily distinguished from ketel one. Take that for what you will, but I'm going to be saving money from now on. I also have some blueberry infused vodka I've been letting steep in a jar for a while. Ran that through the filter last an man......that's dangerous. It measures 40% abv by the hydrometer, but only produces the slightest warmth on the way down. Very dangerous. And yes, we know we're dorks.

Not sure how wide the distribution is on Prairie Vodka but it's damn good, reasonably priced, and organic if you're into that kinda thing.

Attachments

• prairie-vodka.jpg
    prairie-vodka.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 32