• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Voodoo S: A long term review.

jstokes1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2018
Monroe, Louisiana
I've had the Pixels on Target Voodoo S for well over a year now and have taken it through the thick and thin: hunting in subzero conditions, using it with multiple firearms ranging from a Scar 17 to a PCC, hiking trips, countless predator hunts.. the list goes on.

After spending this much time with this little thermal I can now answer the question that's burning on many a minds...... is it worth the investment? Here are my findings after about 1.5 years of use. I'll try and not make this long winded and include the most relevant details (...to the best of my ability of course :D)

Collimation: as stated above, I have run this unit on many different firearms and day optics throughout the course of my ownership of this thermal. Everything from SVDs to Scars, PCCs, etc. What has been consistent is that the collimation is most definitely optical as no matter what day optic this is put in front of, the shift has been virtually zero (and if there is any shift, I didn't really notice and you can adjust for that with 3 save settings for changes in collimation). Even fidgeting with the diopter (that a lot of people said would cause issues) and playing with the FTS mount (flipping it to the side, taking the unit off, then putting it back on and shooting 1.5-2 MOA targets out to 300 yards) did not cause any noticeable shifts in POA/POI. Ahhh, the beauty of a true 1x, optically demagged unit is a force to behold. My furthest kill with it has been 217 yards, for reference. I have been VERY impressed with this aspect of the Voodoo as it actually does what it's advertised to do: be a small clip on thermal. The FOV is small enough to have decent magnification support (it will support up to 10x in my experience), while still being wide enough for handheld/HMT use. You can use it as a thermal "reddot" as well, but I haven't really used it as a dedicated TWS.

HMT/handheld use: you can't be the best at everything...but boy you can sure try. Life is compromise, and this is where that compromise is made with the voodoo. Units like the Nox 18 and the Skeet X will be better handhelds/HMT units due to the larger FOV, but the FOV is still wide enough (coming in at 15 degree horizontal) to be a great spotting unit. It works beautifully as an HMT on a dual band setup and (at least for me personally) allows for easy "both eyes open" use. The detection AND PID range is great due to the fantastic image processing software and sensitivity of the sensor. Dual banding is the primary use for me as of late. Surprisingly the more limited FOV pairs very well with a PVS 14 and the display lines up directly in the center of PVS 14's image. I prefer it for dual banding over the Skeet X.

Image quality: The image processing software is awesome. The unit produces a very detailed, smooth, realistic, and pleasant image. Detection range is very far and I can easily see coyotes coming in at 1000 yards, cows at 4-5 miles, and mountains 80+ miles away. It's easily in the top 5 thermals that I've ever looked through. Not too much more to add to this section as I have posted tons of photos and video throughout the course of time owning this thermal, so you be the judge.

Durability: I have taken this thing through everything from -30 F blizzards, to scorching heat. Never once has it failed me to start up and do it's job. I've dropped it, abused it, but it keeps on ticking. It just...works.

And for the main negative...cost: You get what you pay for. That adage applies to everything from furniture to the shoes you wear everyday. Milspec thermal is no different. "But John, why does this unit cost 17k when I can get a unit like the RH25 that does everything the voodoo s does but is 6k??". Because it doesn't do everything the Voodoo does, that's why. What you're paying for isn't just the image quality, but the construction, materials, development, DOD testing, collimation... the list goes on. That fabled (or dreaded) mil-spec label doesn't mean much when it comes to 99% of items... but it does with optics; especially electro optics. Milspec thermals are tested to go through the rigors of the theater of war; something you can truly trust your life too. Cheaply made, up charged Chyna units are not even in the same class..even if they pretend to be. Even if night optic dealers pretend it to be. If you see a dealer pushing the, "it's just as good" narrative for units like the RH25.. they are trying to sell you a lie. I've had both and they are NOT in the same class in every category. Again, if you want the best, you'll be paying for the best.

I have been blessed to play with a ton of cool toys, owned some of them, and cycled through even more. The Voodoo S though is thermal that is part of my permanent stable of tools and is here to stay for the long haul. I did own two at one point, sold one, and regretted it instantly. It does what it was made to do, does it well, and leaves everything else in the dust. It's the "do all" thermal that I was looking for when I first started this hobby and in my opinion, the best thermal out there right now in terms of usability.

Enough words, here's some photos! The difference in color is a mix of my camera settings, using jay's SNR filter, and the unit itself (one had a bluish hue and the other more brownish).

Also, here's a youtube video I shot showing transitions from my day optic (Vortex 1-10 Razor) and the Voodoo on a Wilcox FTS. Notice the collimation...not a single shift.

Hope you boys enjoy the early morning tails from your local thermal autist. Excuse any grammatical errors you might (and probably will) see. I'm sleep deprived, deal with it.

Attachments

• 20220212_213627.jpg
    20220212_213627.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 20230312_144233.jpg
    20230312_144233.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20220915_130606.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915_130606.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_20220915-130129_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915-130129_Gallery.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_20221226_203752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226_203752_Gallery.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20230615_151521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_151521_Gallery.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20230805_011153_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_011153_Gallery.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 196
  • tempFileForShare_20230805-024432.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20230805-024432.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more. It’s worth the cost. I sold several good items including thermals to get one and don’t miss them at all.

If someone is just a hunter and doesn’t need to trust their thermal for anything serious, the Chinese options are reasonable, as long as they keep their fudd mouth closed about “just as good”.

I couldn’t agree more. It’s worth the cost. I sold several good items including thermals to get one and don’t miss them at all.

If someone is just a hunter and doesn’t need to trust their thermal for anything serious, the Chinese options are reasonable, as long as they keep their fudd mouth closed about “just as good”.
I'm in complete agreement with you there brudda. Like I stated above, I've played with a ton of thermals, and not a single unit has been as usable as the Voodoo S.

I'm not trying to slander units like the RH25/similars, but when I hear the dreaded "just as good" coming from consumers AND dealers... its hard for me to keep my mouth shut. The equivalency is like comparing a 2004 Dodge Neon to a Bentley Continental.

I’ve been on the cusp of buying one for a while now but with them updating the Voodoo-M recently I’m a little worried about buying one and then finding out 6mo later that V2.0 is dropping and has better features. Got burned that way more than once including with thermals.

I’ve been on the cusp of buying one for a while now but with them updating the Voodoo-M recently I’m a little worried about buying one and then finding out 6mo later that V2.0 is dropping and has better features. Got burned that way more than once including with thermals.
I don't forsee them really changing the voodoo s line up too much based on what Dennis has said.

I've been eyeing one. If the end of the year looks good for my company, I'm doing it. But most places have been out of stock. I guess I need to have cash in hand and get ready for the wait...

Reactions: Evolution 9
Hard to regret your purchase when the unit looks like this. PoT should make me a paid sponsor 😂.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805_011153_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230805_011153_Gallery.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 144
Nicely done.

Not sure if you have answered this one before but if you could only have one would it be the S or M?

Reactions: jstokes1