• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST - anyone tried it?

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
I'm thinking about one of these in mil/mil for a 16" Recce-ish rifle. Has anyone tried one yet? How are the adjustments and repeatability?

Last edited:
I have one on my 16" AR platform. I love it. I have used it to engage steel out to 500 yards. Clicks are solid. I enjoy the zero stop feature; allows me to just spin down to my zero mark and move on. I have never boxed tested it though. On 1x it is a bit more then just 1 power so looking both eyes open sometimes is difficult and not true 1x. Overall it has worked flawless for me and I would recommend it!

I have one on my 16" AR platform. I love it. I have used it to engage steel out to 500 yards. Clicks are solid. I enjoy the zero stop feature; allows me to just spin down to my zero mark and move on. I have never boxed tested it though. On 1x it is a bit more then just 1 power so looking both eyes open sometimes is difficult and not true 1x. Overall it has worked flawless for me and I would recommend it!

Adjust your dipoter and it will be true 1x.

I dont think there is a FFP version of this scope available. If there was I would recomend the SFP version. If the reticle was 1/4 of the size on 1x it would look like a little dot

Adjust your dipoter and it will be true 1x.

I dont think there is a FFP version of this scope available. If there was I would recomend the SFP version. If the reticle was 1/4 of the size on 1x it would look like a little dot

I wondered - but I thought I just read that it was available SFP and FFP. The one that I examined was a MOA adjustment model, or I would have bought it on the spot.

Has anyone beat the hell out of one of these yet to see what they'll take?

the viper pst is SFP. the razor HD is FFP and MOA/MOA.

I got one on my Stag. It sits in a LaRue QD mount. So far I have only shot it out to 100 yards or so but its the best or both worlds. Quick target engagements up close and 4X is good enought for 200-300 yards for me.

20121104_183125.jpg

I had the mil version on my 3-gun AR, several issues: transitions and dump barrels/boxes made the turrets move, the reticle is too small in mils for me, and I had it in a Larue SPR and couldn't get enough eye relief. I replaced it with a capped turret MOA model in a SPR-E and couldn't be happier.

Overall a solid, well built scope. Good glass for the price point. Nice easy to feel and hear clicks. Wish it had a better reticle. For me and about half of the people who have shot it at the range, it is very difficult to see and read the mil markings. They are just too damn small. Also the four red lines that make up the circle are fine and fast at CQB distance but get in the way otherwise. The reticle is my big issue. It is a SFP scope.

Last edited:
IMHO FFP is a waste of money on a 1-4x scope.
At 1x you can't see the subtensions and they are correct at 4x.
How often will the scope be used at 2x or 3x?

I have a 1-4 Trijicon on one AR.
I shoot with it either on 1x or 4x.

Joe

The Vortex sit says the lowest illumination levels are for night vision. Anyone have any experience with this with 3rd gen?

68GT: Do find the moa reticle more usable for hold overs vs. the mil?

I have the 1-4 vortex pst with capped turrets... if you do get one, then I would personally get the capped turret version so they don't get bumped... This is my 3gun set up and I love it!!! I want to say I paid $425 after promo code about 4months ago?? I'm also using the 2" offset vortex 1pc scope mount (got off opticsplant for about $85 dollars??). Mount is just "OK" and gets the job done. Scope on the other hand is bad ass. Easy 1" groups @ 100yards with this set up. On a very sunny day you can NOT see the illumination, but then again you really don't need it on anyway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...oa-adjustments-illuminated-tmcq-reticle-matte

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-30mm-cantilever-riflescope-ring-mount-for-ar-15.html

IMG_5855_zps146f5d8e.jpg

Last edited:
I dug up my target from about 2weeks ago (yes, I keep all of my targets for reloading purposes) that was shot with the above rifle / scope set up. Not too damn bad for 1-4 power scope and a dpms rifle!

10shots @ 100yards, dpms 3g1 & vortex 1-4 pst w/capped turrets:
IMG_5958_zpse97e3054.jpg

They are popular in 3 gun for a good scope under $500. I had one for a while but the target knobs would move when taking it out of the bag. I caught it before shooting a stage at a major match just in time to reset the knobs before the timer went off. I would have had a ass load of hits on no shoot targets if I hadn't discovered it in time. It was sold the next day.

yeah, get the capped turret version for sure.

They are popular in 3 gun for a good scope under $500. I had one for a while but the target knobs would move when taking it out of the bag. I caught it before shooting a stage at a major match just in time to reset the knobs before the timer went off. I would have had a ass load of hits on no shoot targets if I hadn't discovered it in time. It was sold the next day.

I am considering the capped MOA model for my AR. Just wondering if the turrets are re-settable to zero? I can't tell by the photos and can't find it listed anywhere.

I have the vorex pst 1-4 capped version model. You can take the caps off, lift up the turret and set the zero in seconds. You can also turn the turrets, with clicks, with your fingers, no coin needed, just like the regular turrets... IMO, get the capped turret option. I'm glad I did.

this should give you all the info you need:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_rfl_viper-pst-43111-12a.pdf

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Capped)

I am considering the capped MOA model for my AR. Just wondering if the turrets are re-settable to zero? I can't tell by the photos and can't find it listed anywhere.

Here's the video Lowlight did.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x - YouTube

I love mine. Only reason I've entertained selling it is to get the new 2.5-10x32 FFP. Like it's been shown, I also find it to be a precision capable at 100 yards on 4x. I also run it both eyes open on 1x and have no issues, with and without using illumination. I prefer using it with there. The low-range illumination without NV (I wish I had a reason to go buy NV for my rifle...) works well enough in low light from my experience shooting at dusk, mind you I was shooting some hasty groups...but it worked; the unlit ret got lost on me too easily. The high-range wasn't of much use then. I have the exposed mil-turret model and running it with a sling, I've wondered how likely it is I'd ever get a spun turret if it got hung up on the sling somehow or another, so far I haven't.

Like Elfster, I have the same mount. Like he says, it "gets the job done". I need to get a QD capable mount so I can utilize my irons when I want more easily.

The rifle:
IMG_25511024x576.jpg

FWIW, I got mine for $400 used (basically new in the box) on the PX here, and the mount from SWFA.

I have been very pleased with mine. Very clear, nice reticle for up close and usable crosshair for distance. I admit it is a little small, but my eyes do not have an issue with it. I have the exposed turret version, and have yet to have an issue with them spinning unintentionally.

I have one on my OBR. I really like the lit reticle. I also have the little thing that wraps around the zoom and lets you set the power quickly. It is very accurate, exposed turrets are very repeatable and a lot better glass than I thought it would be for the money. I especially like the red fiber optic markers for zero and power zoom. I have thought about putting it on a slug gun for shotgun season. Plenty of eye relief too. Mine was a gift from wifey, but I would buy another one.

They are great little scopes. My only complaint was it wasnt FFP and the adjustments are .20 per click.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I ordered a capped moa version from Midway today for my 300 Blackout. I have been using a Falcon 1.5-5 and like it well except not having a true 1x on the low end was bugging me. I'll see if it is worth the upgrade.

my vortex 1-4 pst capped is bad ass... you might get a little fish eye effect about 15ft and under at 1x, but then again damn near all variable scopes at 1x have this issue. Still a nice two eye open @ 1x option. Much better than a red dot IMO. This is an awesome scope for under $500. Midway is also a great place to purchase from. Top notch service and really fast shipping.

I ordered a capped moa version from Midway today for my 300 Blackout. I have been using a Falcon 1.5-5 and like it well except not having a true 1x on the low end was bugging me. I'll see if it is worth the upgrade.

They are great little scopes. My only complaint was it wasnt FFP and the adjustments are .20 per click.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I woulnd not want that scope in FFP. The reticle would be the same size on 4x, but it would be 1/4 the size on 1x rendering it usless.

Just bought one of these here on the Hide. Should have it by Friday. Mounting it with a Burris PEPR on my Colt CRP-18. Can't wait to shoot sub-MOA groups on Saturday! The target that came with the rifle from Colt shows it shot .718" 3 shot group at 100 yards. If I can't get the rifle there, then I guess I'll have to blame the damn scope! (j/k)