• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review to Follow

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I have the new Vortex Razor 1-6x in my hand and mounted up,

616687_10151202808672953_948551287_o.jpg

This scope feels like a tank, it is beefy, with a super forgiving eye box, excellent long eye relief and the look and feel anyone we be proud to show off.

I am super excited about trying this out...

Re: Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review to Follow

Looks good, looking forward to the review. If you're too busy to test it out just let me know and I'll be more than happy to do the review for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the new Vortex Razor 1-6x in my hand and mounted up,

616687_10151202808672953_948551287_o.jpg

This scope feels like a tank, it is beefy, with a super forgiving eye box, excellent long eye relief and the look and feel anyone we be proud to show off.

I am super excited about trying this out... </div></div> You get all the cool toys to play with. I guess that is the perks of your job. I look forward to your review.

That looks really nice, can't wait to see the review!

Is that an ADM mount? I'm looking into those to mount a NF on my AR. Bought a GDI prom for my S&B during the shot show after reading your review it's very nice but they seem to be hard to find and $$$!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2pirates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an ADM mount? I'm looking into those to mount a NF on my AR. Bought a GDI prom for my S&B during the shot show after reading your review it's very nice but they seem to be hard to find and $$$!</div></div>

It's the 3 inch offset Vortex mount. Their mounts are made by ADM so that's why it says "ADM-MFG.COM" on the levers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2pirates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an ADM mount? I'm looking into those to mount a NF on my AR. Bought a GDI prom for my S&B during the shot show after reading your review it's very nice but they seem to be hard to find and $$$!</div></div>

It's the 3 inch offset Vortex mount. Their mounts are made by ADM so that's why it says "ADM-MFG.COM" on the levers.</div></div>

Thank you. I thought it said ADM but I wasnt positive.

Where are these 1-6's made if I may ask? Very nice!!!

It looks great.

Is this the MOA/MOA/BDC you can buy right now, or a sneak peak at a Mil/Mil/Mil?

Lowlight, how do you like the Vortex mount compared to the ADM Recon mounts? Is it worth the extra $100?

Not sure how I feel about the mount yet, first time trying one.

Personally I don't like vertical rings like that and the ADM levers I can give or take, but the scope, big fan.

No, still on the fence with mount, will see after I use it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are these 1-6's made if I may ask? Very nice!!!</div></div>

Wisconsin </div></div>
    Are you sure it is not Japan, like the rest of the Razor line?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are these 1-6's made if I may ask? Very nice!!!</div></div>

Wisconsin </div></div>
    Are you sure it is not Japan, like the rest of the Razor line?</div></div>

I stand corrected, thank you. For some reason I thought all Vortex scopes were made in the US.

You sure it's Japan? Some are/were made in the Philipines.

You're asking Lowlight if he is sure...

That's a good one! LOL

The Razor line has always been made in Japan. The PST and others are made in the Philippines.

looking forward to this review this scope is on my short list of should i buy it. any chance you can do a compare when the SS comes out also Frank ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldGuardShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any chance you can do a compare when the SS comes out also Frank ?</div></div>

+1.

Frank,

I've been anticipating the release of this particular optic as well. I'm mostly interested in 2 main areas of performance, aside from the ringer we all know you'll put it through:

* Pushing the effective range on 6x-So if I have a blaster that is capable of 700-800yd 1st-round hits on-target, is this a viable optic for a system where lightweight/low-profile is priority over high magnification, and under what conditions? (Does it glass well at dusk and dawn, & into a FOV with sun coming from behind the target?-Hunting scenarios)

* On 1x, does it tunnel and how does it compare with some of the other reputable 1-(n)x scopes out there as far as quick reticle acquisition, optical distortion, exit pupil, etc. The Swarovski Z6i is probably the benchmark I think of when looking through other higher-end 1-6x scopes as far as optical quality and lack of any tunneling.

I'm thinking this optic will be a popular choice for guys with Grendels and 6.8's, in addition to the 3-gun crowd it seems built for.

Looking <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> forward to the review, to say the least, and thanks in advance for the manner in which you iron-out optics & blasters in your vids.

Put some quality rounds downrange with the Vortex 1-6x, and will have images and my thoughts up soon.

Needless to, I really like this scope, I think it is Vortex's best scope to date, and by that I mean better than a lot of scopes in the same category that are more than twice the price.

Vortex deserves kudos for this one.

Frank let us know what you thought of the mount also please. I am in the market for a nice 1-6 style set up and Mount. Also would the eye relief allow for any kinda of back up sight ? Maybe KAC micro's

Thanks,
    Jason

This review can't come fast enough. I'm super hyped about this one.

Re: Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review Here **

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x JM-1 </span>

Vortex1_6x-2.jpg

Vortex Website Details Page for the Razor 1-6x 24

I mounted the scope on my Knights Armament 16" EMC as I felt this was the right system to use the Razor. The KAC is not especially accurate but it is a current battle rifle, it has back up iron sights to highlight the scope's clearance, and can be used out to distance to simulate the guys who would use this for 3 Gun or other similar situations.

Out the box, the Razor is pretty impressive. Immediately you notice the weight of the optic. It comes in at 18.4 ounces according to the Vortex Site. It feels strong and capable in your hands. The next thing we notice is the glass. It has excellent quality optics. Last, but more importantly in this look and feel is the design and controls. The controls are oversized, easy to handle and the eye relief is long with a very forgiving eye box. Really forgiving. We have an 11 position illuminated reticle, the Jerry Miculek 1, which has a few small holdovers reference marks, but hardly what you would consider a Christmas tree type reticle. The scope tested is a MOA version with the MOA reticle, although it more like a ballistic duplex as it doesn't have any hash marks or windage or hold points.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The view through the scope </span>

Vortex1_6x-3.jpg

No that is not it, although you can see the reticle. Trust me I have others.

According to the Vortex literature they recommend a 200 yard zero for the scope to give the ballistic holds the appropriate value. So off to the 200 yard line at the Colorado Rifle Club. Now all the image you see will be from 200 yards unless otherwise noted.

On 6x
    Vortex1_6xshots-1.jpg

Immediately you'll note the excellent FOV on this scope. At 200 yards you are looking at marker boards that are at least 6ft wide.

On 4x

Vortex1_6xshots-2.jpg

This is one 4 power, just look at the quality as well as the tight edge to edge clarity even using a camera behind the scope.

On 2x

Vortex1_6xshots-3.jpg

Finally on 1x from 200 yards

Vortex1_6xshots-4.jpg

All highly usable, all edge to edge clear and in all a great sight picture.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day Light visible Illumination </span>

The 11 position illumination is definitely daylight visible. It is not washed out and I used 11x to illustrate this, but it is definitely visible. It's a nice crisp dot.

Vortex1_6xshots-14.jpg

This is not the greatest image, but hopefully you can see it. I know using the scope it was easy to see and use out to distance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shooting the rifle and scope combination 200 to 400 yards. </span>

I took this system from my 200 yard zero to ending up at 400 yards. I think you have to map the reticle and adjust your hold slightly based off your rifle and system as I ended up a tiny bit high at 400 yards. However this does not takeaway from the fact you can be very effective with this combination. And believe me I think a better rifle would have yielded better results downrange. Still for minute of man targets, this is just about perfect.

Vortex1_6xshots-10.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Internals</span>

The Vortex Razor line has proven to be durable. And you can tell by the internal just how well made this scope is. Compare it to your current line of scopes and you can see immediately just how much effort they put into the construction.

Vortex1_6x-10.jpg

There are not short cuts here. The scope just feels beefy and strong. The adjustments are solid and true, when I tested tracking it was 100% across the entire range on the Sniper's Hide Training Target.

Vortex1_6xshots-6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusions. </span>

Early on I looked at the S&B 1-8x and the Leupold 1-8x and both those scopes retail well over $2500. I found that each one had a different strong point. The S&B I felt was good under 3x and the Leupold better over 4x. The Vortex has them both beat. It does the entire range well. And it retails for $1400. I really don't want to hype this scope, but I feel it is the best scope to date from Vortex. In fact, I don't know any scope that came out this year that compares in the overall quality or that has lived up to the build up like this one. Maybe that is hype, but also I have never been known to jump on the Vortex bandwagon, yet here I am giving them the highest praise I can muster. They did a fantastic job on this scope.

If you're a 3GUN shooter and not sponsored by an optics company, this is your scope. If you're a hunter looking for something that can handle a wide variety of situations, from inside 100 to beyond 400, this is your optic. This makes a battle rifle, right and is an great addition to your rifle regardless of your intended use. Will you get sub moa accuracy out of a 6x scope beyond 200 yards, probably not. But that is not its job. This is a fast, accurate, well made scope designed to lend speed and efficiency your shooting.

Kudos to Vortex, if they had contest for Optic of the Year, I don't see how anyone from $500 to $3000 can compete.

Thanks for the review Lowlight!

I am looking for a scope on this power range, but dont want to spend a ton of money. So this scope looks good.

How would you compare with the SWFA scopes?

LRCampos.

LL,

I'm partial to the US Optics SN-4 1.5-6x. For $100 less. How would you compare those two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know if there are plans for a more QCB type reticule?</div></div>

How much more CQB can you get than a red dot?

LL... You posted in your review that it retails for $1400.. website says $1899.. How do I get this bad boy for 1400?

Go to SWFA or another Vortex dealer the have the prices listed at $1399...

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-6x24-Razor-HD-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55713.aspx

I am not sure what the website says, but the retail is $1400.

Also, i have not compared it to other 1-6x scopes, although I have some that are 1.5-6x and even the Elcan 1.5-6x, I did not compare them side by side.

So if you are happy with a specific brand, then by all means go with the scope you are happy with.

Lastly,

I forgot to add in the details of the mount.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex 30mm QD (ADM) Mount. </span>

The mount paired well with the Razor, but I am not big fan of it. If you are looking for a lower cost mount that will work well to clear back up iron sights and to fit the Vortex, this mount is passable, but was not my personal favorite.

I would like to see the ring design change a bit, I dislike the vertical rings like this , and there are some improvements that can be made in the QD part of the mount, but it was not a deal breaker. It's not expensive and Vortex is giving people a matching a system which is great, but would not be my first choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know if there are plans for a more QCB type reticule?</div></div>

How much more CQB can you get than a red dot? </div></div>

I was thinking something more donut like. I can't tell from the pics how big the dot gets on 1x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know if there are plans for a more QCB type reticule?</div></div>

I was thinking something more donut like. I can't tell from the pics how big the dot gets on 1x. </div></div>
    The dot is shown @ 1x, and it is SFP dot and reticle.

Great review Frank! I was fairly impressed with the 1-4x offering they brought to SHOT. I guess I'll have to check this one out. If I like it, I'll have to get another rifle just to go with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simon L.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks great.

Is this the MOA/MOA/BDC you can buy right now, or a sneak peak at a Mil/Mil/Mil? </div></div>

Is there any official plan for a mil/mil, or is that just rumors and wish-lists?

Is the red dot like the one in an S&B or ELCAN, or more like the one in the Leupold Fire-Dot? Hard to tell from the picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cerebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know if there are plans for a more QCB type reticule?</div></div>

I was thinking something more donut like. I can't tell from the pics how big the dot gets on 1x. </div></div>
    The dot is shown @ 1x, and it is SFP dot and reticle. </div></div>

Ahh, I didn't realize it was SFP. That makes more sense now. Thanks.

Thank's for the Review Frank. I have decided to purchase this scope for my LMT MWS due to it . Now i have to find the best mount for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope tested is a MOA version with the MOA reticle, although it more like a ballistic duplex as it doesn't have any hash marks or windage or hold points.
    </div></div>

Really? Did I miss a new trend where spinning knobs has taken the place of holdovers?

It will be interesting to see how the forthcoming SWFA 1-6x24 turns out.

On paper, it looks like they have a much more useable reticle for $400 less.

LL,

I do apreciate the review. It's always good to see another quality product in a field like this.

Excellent review! It looks very usable, and adaptable to just about any situation that one may need it for. Time to start saving my pennies and eating ramen noodles..

Thanks for the review

Looks like a great scope. I may get one for my back up rifle. I use a Swarovski Z6i on my three gun rifle now. The reticle seems nice and simple which is great for three gun. Just hope the illumination is bright enough. But it looks good in the pics.
    Pat

Dont know if I want to cancel my order for the 1-6 from SWFA and purchase this scope or just wait. Wish I could get a comparison on the two from Lowlight. I guess I have a few weeks to decide.

I would love it if they made a mil/mil version available in the future. That FOV looks amazing.