• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review to Follow

Re: Vortex 1-6x Is here, Review to Follow

I will say they are nicer than I anticipated. 

This year my not have been the year for all the 1-8's but it's sure is the year for all the 1-6's. 

Mike CST

I would like to know how the Vortex compared to the Leupold 1-6 multigun.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know if I want to cancel my order for the 1-6 from SWFA and purchase this scope or just wait. Wish I could get a comparison on the two from Lowlight. I guess I have a few weeks to decide. </div></div>

Stay the coarse KillZone!!!!

Lowlight great review!

I hope after you use it some more we can get an update on the dot and illumination at speed at CQB distances. This could be my next 3Gun scope, but my eyes need a "bright" during the day red dot and the 0.5moa dot seems a bit small for speed in close.

Thanks again!

Great review.

LL -how would this work with a non-556 cartridge (meaning do you like it enough you would put it on a gun of another caliber)?

Glad to see these are reviewing well.

I knew when I got to handle this scope at the NRA show that this was a winner.

As soon as it comes in mil/mil I will be mounting one on my RECCE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frankr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great review.

LL -how would this work with a non-556 cartridge (meaning do you like it enough you would put it on a gun of another caliber)?</div></div>

I did not shoot a 556 but a 762 and the manual has data for either 556 as well as 762 and it gives you the corresponding MOA of the reticle so you can use any other caliber with it.

Vortex includes excellent manuals with their scopes. A product manual and a reticle manual.

I ran the scope at the Pro Am , it worked great. MGM will have Throw Rings in a few weeks, Travis had a prototype that I used in the match that helped a bunch with the tight Zoom ring.

My load drops just under the 400 and 500 yard bar by 1/2 MOA = 69 Sierra at 2,750fps 18" JP ultra match barrel.
I had my scope three weeks now and the one battery has not been changed out yet, the dot is still bright.
the scope has more eye relief than listed , I am running the scope allmost an inch farther forward.

Vortex1-6Leaver006.jpg
Jamie

I did a post on the Enos Forum, with more photos

I did have a comparison by a buddy that runs the SwarO = several of the SwarO shooters liked that SwarO dot was bigger than the Razor but at least 4 out of 10 liked that the Razor Dot was smaller.
My wish list for the next retical will have full and 1/2 value wind holds for 4 -5 and 600 yards holds.
I will be at the Fallen Bretheren Event and the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 gun if you want to finde me to get a first hand look at the scope
Jamie Foote AKA AlamoShooter Alamo Sport Shooting Club San Antonio

Raceing on close target at 1X This scope has a griant field of view
VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012033.jpg

I Like Low Lights review too, I can tell he has a different approach than I do as a Gamer shooter.
I have ran the ADM mount for over two years now and I like them a lot. I used my older 2" offset with this scope , the same one I ran on my 1-4 Razor. I don't have any issues with the vert rings = But follow the instructions and lock up the bottom screws first to lock it in to the base.
I get good repeatability with the mount on my Back-up AR Scope that has a 1-4 Razor that gets switched back and forth on my Rim-fire M&P. I use the rim fire for cheep close range "hoser' practice. The base goes back to zero fine.
At $1,400 with Vortex No BS warranty this scope is winning over many SwarO 1-6 shooters as their second scope. many of us that travel to out of state events like to have a complete back-up rifle ready "just In Case" to save a trip.
I travel with a Back-up M2 and hand gun and complete Rifle If I had to buy two SwarO that cost over $2,000 that would hurt. For now my 1-4 Razor will be on my Back-up gun I like the EBR reticle more than the new JM in the 1-6 . But My Scores with the Rifle tell me I like the 1-6 Razor just fine. I slipped ahead of Dannel H on stage 8 of the Pro Am = thats not something that happens to an Old Guy very often.
Jamie

I've read rumors they're maybe working on different reticles. The current one actually looks fine, just wondering if they've said what different reticles might (or might not) be in the works, and if so when they might be available. Not that the current one is lacking, just curious what options might be available. If they're listening, something like the Accupoint Triangle or a dot or horseshoe in green for quick target acquisitions with holdover chevrons or lines like the Meopta ZD seems like it might be nice without being too cluttered.

-Cheers

Vortex sent me this email yesterday.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. To answer your question, we are discussing different variants of the Razor HD Gen II 1-6X24. At this point, we are not sure which reticle/ configurations will be offered or when they will be offered but please keep an eye out. We are always coming out with new and interesting ideas. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you for your interest in Vortex Optics and have a great Labor Day weekend.

All the best,

Jim Jordan

I'd be very interested in a relatively simple mil reticle. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, dots or hashes, I don't care. Just consistent mil reference marks, for wind holds, range holds, and communicating with other shooters.

The TMCQ in the 1-4 PST would be fine, or just a standard mil-dot, or something new I've never even heard of, as long as it's got mils going vertically and horizontally.

(and mil-turrets of course)

After reading Frank's review, I asked Scott if it was OK to play with the one he sent in for the TBRC prize table; needless to say Frank’s observations are spot on with the Razor 1-6.

Edge to edge clarity was nice and bright, and the FOV was very impressive. I have never been a fan of magnified dot optics, but this 1-6 is on the "must buy" list.

Vu

Two quick questions:

1) How has the reticle faired overall in terms of speed, precision, ease of use, etc.?

2) For those of you interested in, or waiting for, a different reticle (there are a few opinions about that), what are you looking for specifically, or what do you find less that optimal about the reticle currently available?

-Cheers

Illuminated dot is too small, needs to be twice the size to be useful for quick shots 5 to 50 yds under the clock.Must be alot cheeper to keep small

Lowlight:

From the posted pictures, there appears to not be a focus locking ring. Is that the case? Without a way to lock the focus, this would be a poor choice for a hard use optic. (Real world hard use, not ipsc gungames)

It would be nice even as a 'Game' shooter to have a way to lock the focus ring.

#2 I like that the dot is smaller = its a small dot that can be made a "hot point" I use it on one of the stages at Rockcastle that had close 1/2 size paper and 8" steel targets in the woods over 100 but under 200 yards out. I could still find and hit the steel targets with speed waisting only one extra shot on all 8 steel targets.

I would not want to see the dot any larger even for close shots. The Eye relief is so generous I found the dot easy to catch.
Edit for Dave = The reticle is fast on transistions I was able place at 84% of the best shooter on two of the Pro Am stages #4 and #8 , I am not young or fast, and this was the first match I shot this scope in. = So the scope is fast to learn and love.
JF

Nice scope. Looks like a real contender. Would be nice to see Vortex offer a TMA type reticle with the same red dot capability or incorporate holds for wind and moving targets with the existing reticle on offer. Hard time chasing those movers at 400 yards + without IMO.

Can anyone do a side by side comparison of the Vortex with the Leupold MK6 1-6 and the Swarovski 1-6? The Swaro is probably out of my reach, but I am debating between the Vortex and the Leupold for 3-Gun competition use. By the time I decide, the USO 1-8 will probably be out...

Not really seeing the point...

Have owned Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x 24mm which I recently sold, and almost as long have owned a leupold mk4 1.5-5x illum mr/t spr.

My reference as a photographer paid to make images with 4x5 view camera to 35mm formats years ago, I'm not making photographs: I'm using a scopesight as a sight to aim with.

The Leupold spr reticle is excellent. Numerous aiming points using crosshair/duplex and circle reticle for holding off. The illum reticle gives Bindon Aiming Concept versatility in daylight switched on, with BC flip-up in covering position.

The 1/2 moa turrets with cam and custom cams available is very functional.

Sure, there are better optical lens arrays, but we don't need a fluoride lens system or $1 million dollar f/5.6 1700mm tele Leica like the arab sheik paid Leitz for the fastest and best quality 35mm tele lens in history.

Fun to buy the gear, but... The Leupold will do all any other low power variable will do, except give no noticeable change at 1x when viewing through scope with both eyes open. That can matter if your life is on the line, mine isn't...

As far as no noticeable magnification at 1x or 0x, I also have a Pentax Lightseeker 0-4x that is second only to a S&B for no distraction at minimal power. About 1/4 or 1/6th the price.

Scopes are sights which need precision of movement and reliability far more than superb clarity in image rendition.

Also own a viper pst, so am favorably disposed toward vortex.
Bound to be a nice scope, but ho-hum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice even as a 'Game' shooter to have a way to lock the focus ring.

</div></div>

Electrical tape works for me.