• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 2.5x10 alternatives?

dill84

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2005
I am looking for alternatives to the Vortex 2.5x10 to combine with a Noveske SPR barrel. It must have illumination a mil based reticle and matching turrets. I don't really care about focal plane at this point. It also needs to be able to handle moderate abuse. I checked with Leupold and any M5 turret options are non-illuminated. I was looking at the IOR 2-12 but, I am not very familiar with them. I qualify for LE/MIL discount but, still would like to stay around 1k. The vortex seems nice but, I've read concerns as far as durability for LE work if I am wrong let me know.

Thanks

NF 2.5-10x42 has what you want and will take abuse. Call mile high for pricing, it will still be over $1k but they have an attractive MIL/LE discount.

If you must stay at or around $1k the Bushnell 3-12 has those features as well. It's a step ahead of the vortex as far as reliability but still isn't going to take abuse like a NF.

As far as alternatives to the Vortex, the Weaver 2-10x36 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope is supposed to be a nice scope, I haven't looked at one in person though.

If going into harm's way or betting lives on it, I'd adjust the budget to accomadate the Nightforce mentioned above... Hands down.

With the Leupold Mk 4s, I didn't see an offering with illumination and M5 turrets either, but I bet the custom shop would do it without too much trouble. There is the mil/mil VXR Patrol with nice illumination system, but reticle isn't the best and I'd still want Nightforce durability on a work rifle.

Thanks for the heads up. I am really going to have to give it some thought. I am going to call Leupold's custom shop again just to verify they can not put M5 turrets on illuminated scopes.

I am looking for alternatives to the Vortex 2.5x10 to combine with a Noveske SPR barrel. It must have illumination a mil based reticle and matching turrets. I don't really care about focal plane at this point. It also needs to be able to handle moderate abuse. I checked with Leupold and any M5 turret options are non-illuminated. I was looking at the IOR 2-12 but, I am not very familiar with them. I qualify for LE/MIL discount but, still would like to stay around 1k. The vortex seems nice but, I've read concerns as far as durability for LE work if I am wrong let me know.

Thanks

Not meaning to hijack your thread but could you direct me to wherever you found information about durability concerns? I've been looking at the Vortex offering as a lower-priced alternative to the NF but if there's any serious concerns or a poor track record, I might reconsider.

I have just read that some people are concerned with the durability for LE work. I don't know whether it is because of where its made, does not have the track record to come with it or there is proven real world issues as to why it would be no good. PD's are on strict budgets too so, NF for them might still be out of the question when you need to factor in the rifle, ammunition, training, etc. Hopefully someone can shed some insight. I am sure at some point guys have put them through a beating at comps and such I would like to hear the end result.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but could you direct me to wherever you found information about durability concerns? I've been looking at the Vortex offering as a lower-priced alternative to the NF but if there's any serious concerns or a poor track record, I might reconsider.

Someone else here - I have not seen any general durability concerns on the PST. There have been a few reports of broken reticles when used on lightweight braked magnum rifles, which are terribly hard on scopes. I think people just have misgivings about a Philippines-made scope being used for duty work.

I have just read that some people are concerned with the durability for LE work. I don't know whether it is because of where its made, does not have the track record to come with it or there is proven real world issues as to why it would be no good. PD's are on strict budgets too so, NF for them might still be out of the question when you need to factor in the rifle, ammunition, training, etc. Hopefully someone can shed some insight. I am sure at some point guys have put them through a beating at comps and such I would like to hear the end result.
I would like you to post the link where you read these "concerns." The PST line is rugged, especially combined with quality rings, like Vortex, Badger or Seekins. I have no reservation taking my 2.5-10x32 pst with me anywhere.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I like the PST over the Nightforce because of the FFP and cost and most any problem I seem to find with the PST is a quality control issue that's quickly replaced.

I'm going to give the Vortex a try just need to decide whether i want the side focus or a larger bell.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I like the PST over the Nightforce because of the FFP and cost and most any problem I seem to find with the PST is a quality control issue that's quickly replaced.

Other than mall ninja points, could you explain exactly how 2.5-10 scope with a reticle in the ffp provides a benefit over a 2.5-10 sfp that mils at 10x? I somehow doubt you are using holdovers/windage holds of any significance at less than 10x...and in the unlikely event that you need to determine distance, in all liklihood the scope would be dialed up to 10x. Please, enlighten us.

[MENTION=12063]19Scout77[/MENTION], I'm with you on the FFP aspect of the PST. It's really challenging to take advantage of that feature at a really low power. What I DO like about it is that it's light weight, illuminated, has a side focus, has decent bottom and top end power, and has really good optical quality for a scope of it's price. IMO, the only scopes that are in its league are the 3-15 SWFA and the 2.5-10 NF. The SWFA seems like a good buy; since I haven't tried it out I'll leave it someone else to comment on how it compares to the Vortex. The NF, IMO, just costs too much money for what you ultimately get.

FFP has advantages to varmint hunters using the reticle to lead moving targets and taking shots in the dark that are far enough to require a reasonable holdover. There might be a coyote present itself in an open several hundred yards away that is well lit enough to see and shoot while you are sitting in a dark area.

I can follow the point of not needing FFP for target shooting and most daytime hunting at those magnification levels but coyote hunters face unique situations. I find myself using my 3-15 SWFA on 6x or so quite often because it gets me a wider field of view to find a target that may only present itself for a very short time and it gathers noticeably more light shooting at 6x than 10x

It doesn't gather more light at 6x, the exit pupil is larger.
OP, Sightron has an SIII 3.5-10X mil/mil scope

If you calculate the leads out to about 400 yards you will find that they do not change very much...certainly not enough to miss a coyote with the error created by using less than 10x on an sfp.

Other than mall ninja points, could you explain exactly how 2.5-10 scope with a reticle in the ffp provides a benefit over a 2.5-10 sfp that mils at 10x? I somehow doubt you are using holdovers/windage holds of any significance at less than 10x...and in the unlikely event that you need to determine distance, in all liklihood the scope would be dialed up to 10x. Please, enlighten us.

I thought the same way until I needed to make a shot right at dark and had to back off the magnification to get a brighter sight picture. Other than that I agree. I use this scope on my 300blk with subs so I do use the subtension quite a bit but on a regular rifle I don't see the benefit of FFP either as you really don't need the subtensions in very low light conditions that would require dialing back the magnification.

The issues Ive had with vortex have all been problems from the start with the scope, after I got them fixed(which they took care of quickly) they have been great. One was a bad erector assembly in a viper PA and the other was just terrible glass in a 4-16 PST. Other than that they work great for the price. If night force still sold the 2.5-10x24 to civilians that's what Id go with for a regular rifle for this type of use.

Ive owned the 2-12 IOR and it was a great little optic 10 years ago. MP8 is one of the best retticles out there. With that being said, You would be a fool to buy an IOR. At their price point, they have WAY too many problems to be a serious canidate.

Same could be said of the PST line. I would look hard at Bushnell in that price range. If you don't need FFP, take a look at NF compacts.

Mil discounts are very attractive with Bushnell.

For LE work, don't skimp. Bushnell(3-12x MD with illum), NF, S&B, Khales ect would be where I would lean.

Do you have any I do on Bushnells mil discount or a POC? I'm very interested I. The 312x44 Elite Tactical with either the mildot or the G2 sounds like the perfect scope for my SPR build.

Last edited:
They dont make a 2-12. Its a 3-12 wiith G2 or Milldot with green illum. Call bushnell and ask to speak with Alpha. He is their Mil guy.

They dont make a 2-12. Its a 3-12 wiith G2 or Milldot with green illum. Call bushnell and ask to speak with Alpha. He is their Mil guy.

You're right, Cobracutter. I fixed my post. I was referring to the 3-12x44 Elite Tactical model. Do you know if he has e-mail capability? I don't have much personal phone access during working hours right now. Thanks again!

3-12 with backup irons might just be the ticket. Too bad the scope is not on promotive.