• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex 30x Mil reticle eyepiece question

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
If I were going to put the fixed 30X mil reticle eyepiece on a Razor spotting scope, would there be any reason to go with the 16-48x or 20-60x over the 11-35x? I want a dual purpose scope that is light weight for hunting and also something for target shooting use.
So, I don't see any reason to go with a bigger scope if I will be limiting the magnification to the fixed 30x.
Unless there is some other reason to go with the larger scope that I should know about?
Also any opinions about the Vortex tripods? I want something as light and packable for hunting, that will go low enough to use prone for my BPCR matches.
Any input would be appreciated.

The 30x is only 30x on the big scope, it's a 23x on the medium and something less on the baby spotter.

Also, the reticle only subtends correctly on the big scope.

Carl_Ross is right. If you want to use the subtensions how they are, you have to go with the 85mm. If you put it on the 65mm, you COULD throw out a MRAD chart and see how it lines up. Check out the Summit SS or SS-P tripods. Pretty lightweight and well-built. The legs also go out to the sides and you can remove the center column so you can get it within inches of the ground. If you're going to be using it in a prone position, I would go with the SS with the ball-head over the SS-P with the pan-head.

I have the MRAD eyepiece and the 65mm Razor.

8 mils on the MRAD reticle at 23X, equals 10 mils on the SWFA 12X scope.

Basically the mil value as measured through the 65mm spotter needs to be multiplied by 1.25 to equal true mils.

Kind of a PITA, but at least it is a workable reticle.

I don't think the reticle would be mountable on the 11-33 x50 Razor spotter, looks like a different mounting method.

the 30x Vortex eyepiece subtends correctly on the Swaro 65 or 80 ...... same focal length as the vortex 85