• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex 6-24x50 pst good for Bench rest ?

Jason099

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Clarksville ga
Sorry to bug you guys but I have a savage fcp 10 k 308 an want to Shoot production class comp bench rest was looking at vortex Viper pst 6-24x50 sfp Will be shooting max 1000' yards max because it's in my price range would it be a good scope for that thanks so much for the input

Re: Vortex 6-24x50 pst good for Bench rest ?

I have the same scope in ffp and have made hits at 800 consistently and shot at 1k but did not have enough room where we are to make any hits, The trees were too low and deflect the bullet. I think if you go with the sfp you should have no problem. personally 24 power is too much for me and I found myself shooting at 13 power most of the time. It's a great scope for the money not too mention customer service and warranty are great too.

Walter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> personally 24 power is too much for me and I found myself shooting at 13 power most of the time. </div></div>

ya but benchrest is a diffrent animal than tactical. br you want tiny groups a long ways off. tactical you want to bang steel a long way off.

id say stick with the 24x

Sightron SIII is in the price range and is better suited for benchrest.

Another vote for Sightron. Just bought my third SIII. I have two 10-50X60s and one 8-32X56. Unlike tactical shooting - in benchrest you typically want as much magnification as you can get and these scopes deliver.

I was thinking about one of these also for my .308. I can't decide between the 4x14 ffp or the 6x24 ffp. I think I would like the extra magnification of the 6x24. I want to look through both before I decide....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mirageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about one of these also for my .308. I can't decide between the 4x14 ffp or the 6x24 ffp. I think I would like the extra magnification of the 6x24. I want to look through both before I decide....</div></div>

If you're thinking about a FFP scope for benchrest, be aware that at higher powers that reticle is going to be very thick making precision shots difficult at distance.

You don't need or want a FFP scope for benchrest. You do want/need a lot of magnification and extremely clear glass.

NF rules the roost as far as the number of match winners using them, with March a close second. Most use the NF 12-42x56.
If you want a Sightron, head over to the classifieds at Accurateshooter.com, it's full of 'em. Vortex is popular with the tactical crowd, but I've never seen one at a BR match.

Another thing to think of is weight, some of these variable power scopes are between 2 and 3 pounds.
Many Factory or Hunter class BR shooters use the Leupold 36X or 45X to keep weight down.

Another vote for Sightron SIII I have one in 6-24. I will never part with this scope.