• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG new reticle??

I agree the H59 is not a good hold under scope. But why would you. The detailed grid is below the crosshair and can handle all the holdover you would require. Feasibly, running my 6mm, I could shoot a whole match without dialing. My elevation is only 5.8 mils at 1k.

I've never held under with a scope. I dial the nearest yardage and hold over for everything thereafter, or don't dial at all. I guess reticle type effects people's choice in this matter.

That's what a wrist band is for. A quick look, hold and shot. Much faster than dialing. ;)

Yeah, I use wristbands for my holds too, just not for mid dial holds before. I'll have to give that a think. Guess that's why you're a pro & I'm just a lowly local yokel wannabe lol.

Glad they're introducing an open center reticle for the AMG. Puts it back on the map for me.

I agree the H59 is not a good hold under scope. But why would you. The detailed grid is below the crosshair and can handle all the holdover you would require. Feasibly, running my 6mm, I could shoot a whole match without dialing. My elevation is only 5.8 mils at 1k.

I've never held under with a scope. I dial the nearest yardage and hold over for everything thereafter, or don't dial at all. I guess reticle type effects people's choice in this matter.

Why a hold under? Some match stages require it. Also some stages it is faster to dial a mid range and then hold like the Moving Chaos drill where you have to shoot a 400 yard mover then in to two closer targets and then out to a father target and then back to the 400 yard mover traveling back in the opposite direction. Other times pop up where a hold under is used. It's nice to have the option if needed.

I've seen multiple stages where you weren't allowed to dial. They are sorta common. I've never seen one where they told you how you had to hold under it.

I've never had to hold under a target.

I think in the extreme outside chance that an MD insists on it, I'll manage. I would much rather have less detail above the crosshair than all those opens spaces below it. Just playing the odds ;)

Your choice but having shot matches for many years I like to be prepared for anything that may come up and this has come up at times.

I was being sarcastic, yes of course the "7evans" are useful and a huge improvement to the 2C. I wish I could transfer them to my two 4.5 - 27's! However, I have used the H59 quite a bit and find it just fine for hold unders as we'll as even more usefull for an even more accurate & faster follow up shot following a miss (assuming of course you see the miss!) than the 2C, one of the more useful things of that particular design. I was referring more or less to that in my comment really. The H59 takes some getting used to granted, but once a person is comfortable with it, its really rather amazing. Probably why I don't like the ".4 numbers" in the way. Though I'd be willing to bet you a 6pak that more people lean my way on that than not. I think "birddog" had some very good comments on this as well as articulating his suggestions well on other potential improvements to the new AMG reticle. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that it could be SO much better even (yeah, I know, personal preference). I mean, even our own "in-house expert resident scope advisor", Bill, has designed a new reticle with some VERY interesting features with those "Nasty numbers" to the outside....;) !

Keep in mind that any product that is made by Rob01's sponsors is practically gold, and you won't hear anything different from him.

I messaged Dave about it and he replied, I'll paste it below. Hopefully they do end up releasing it for the Razor Gen 2 because I'd be very interested in swapping over to it.

With that said we may have the EBR-7B in the Razor Gen II at some point in the future. There are a few reasons that are proprietary that we may wait a little while before releasing it in the Razor Gen II and I cannot speak to that timeline right now. When it is released we can do a swap for the reticle for a fee. I don't know what the fee is. I will have to talk to our sales department to find out. Keep an eye out for when we release it for the Razor Gen II and then we can talk about it. Thanks

Dave

One thing to point out is that Dave mentions they "may" have the EBR-7B in the Razor Gen II, but that is not a for certain. How old is the Razor Gen II series now, I want to say about 3-4 years old now if I remember right, I wouldn't hold my breath but my guess is that a Gen III is in the works at the Vortex Skunk Works group, but how long until we see the top secret Blackbird, well no one can say except Dave, but Dave is not going to tell us until they are ready to announce, I'm thinking SHOT Show 2019. Oh, and Dave, in case you haven't seen my many requests for a Vortex Ultra Short, here's just another reminder that I'd love to see a Vortex Ultra Short, something that fits between the Schmidt & Bender Ultra Short 3-20x50 and the March 3-24x52 at about the 30oz range and less than 13", and if you want to use your AMG group and make it a "Made in the USA" product then a 5-20 under 12" would be high on my list as well (would love to see your AMG series move into the 5x erector package but my guess is you'll stick with 4x for now so that's why I suggest the 5-20).

One thing to point out is that Dave mentions they "may" have the EBR-7B in the Razor Gen II, but that is not a for certain. How old is the Razor Gen II series now, I want to say about 3-4 years old now if I remember right, I wouldn't hold my breath but my guess is that a Gen III is in the works at the Vortex Skunk Works group, but how long until we see the top secret Blackbird, well no one can say except Dave, but Dave is not going to tell us until they are ready to announce, I'm thinking SHOT Show 2019.
Just wondering, what makes you think 2019 and not 2018?

Keep in mind that any product that is made by Rob01's sponsors is practically gold, and you won't hear anything different from him.

Not true but I only use products I like and can be an advantage to me so there is that.

Just wondering, what makes you think 2019 and not 2018?

Because I don't think they would replace the Gen II's so soon; however, 2019 might be prime for something new from the Razor line. It is only a guess as I don't have insider information like some others who sign NDA's. That being said, if Vortex does announce a new Gen II scope or even a Gen III series at SHOT in 2018, I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm thinking the big announcement will be a new AMG scope, most likely a 4-16 but if it is a 4.5-18x50 I will get my wallet ready :eek:

Because I don't think they would replace the Gen II's so soon; however, 2019 might be prime for something new from the Razor line. It is only a guess as I don't have insider information like some others who sign NDA's. That being said, if Vortex does announce a new Gen II scope or even a Gen III series at SHOT in 2018, I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm thinking the big announcement will be a new AMG scope, most likely a 4-16 but if it is a 4.5-18x50 I will get my wallet ready :eek:

Given how slow the production of the current AMG is, is it wise for them to release another one? I was under the impression that they struggle to keep up with demand as is.

You never had a timed staged with multiple distances where you dialed for the middle distance and held under and over?

I've had tons of timed stages at multiple distances. But why on earth would I hold under?

Every grid reticle and Christmas tree reticle I've ever seen all descends below the crosshair? So why would I dial the middle distance? Why would I not dial the nearest target and hold over for everything using the most valuable and detailed part of my reticle? These reticles are specifically designed to provide better utility and accuracy during hold overs. Holding under makes no sense to me.

And it's not just an aiming issue, it's a missing issue as well. Say you're holding "just off the left edge" with 1.2mils hold under, not .2 or .3 wind, because you don't have those subtensions, but the edge looks good. You send the shot and the wind is worse than you thought. I goes past the right edge. You can't measure and move or superimpose the subtension it just splashed behind to send the corrected shot. Now you are moving further into the wind and holding somewhere out in space until it looks good. This stuff happens in real life, not just on paper.

Using the Christmas tree or Horus grid takes a lot more guesswork out of the shot. it allows for accurate shot placement and good corrected follow up shots. That's the entire reason for their existence, and their popularity. the system is there, may as well use it.

Last edited:
Given how slow the production of the current AMG is, is it wise for them to release another one? I was under the impression that they struggle to keep up with demand as is.

I suppose only Vortex could say if they are overrun, but it seems like CS Tactical and Eurooptic gets these in rather frequently. I know Vortex has been vamping up their production facilities and staff so hopefully this will become less and less of an issue for them. Not a bad problem to have though for a manufacturer, to have such high demand for a product that it's sold before it's finished on the assembly line. I'm sure Vortex is learning a lot with the AMG, it was the first of its kind and difficult to predict the market to see how it would sell. It would appear the market has shown there is high demand for a scope of this caliber and in lieu of that, I think we'll see something new from the AMG team this year at SHOT...

One new Vortex Optics Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 FFP, EBR-7B MRAD in stock! Won't last long! http://bit.ly/2xDFmdK

22406453_1748218181887354_9107631951812345766_n.jpg

Sorry for the necro-bump, but really interested in retrofitting the EBR-7b into my EBR-2c Razor IIs! Just found this old thread, fingers crossed for news from Vortex.
Any updates on this possibility?
Just can't justify 2500+ on the new .2 mil reticle scopes these days, would rather just improve my Razor IIs. Wish my AMG would breed with them, LoL!

Sorry for the necro-bump, but really interested in retrofitting the EBR-7b into my EBR-2c Razor IIs! Just found this old thread, fingers crossed for news from Vortex.
Just can't justify 2500+ on the new .2 mil reticle scopes these days, would rather just improve my Razor IIs. Wish my AMG would breed with them, LoL!

Something will be released at shot. Be it an ebr7b like reticle for gen ii, a gen iii or both.

Really hoping to see a reduced weight Gen II even if they call it a Gen III.

Really hoping to see a reduced weight Gen II even if they call it a Gen III.

They already have that......called the AMG. ?

On a serious note, what does the gen ii do the amg doesn’t do as good? One of the reasons to get a gen ii over amg is the extra weight.

They already have that......called the AMG. ?

On a serious note, what does the gen ii do the amg doesn’t do as good? One of the reasons to get a gen ii over amg is the extra weight.

Nothing truthfully I just like the short form factor and the 6x erector on the Gen IIs. Though an ultra short AMG would alleviate the entire issue.

I called vortex about a reticle swap and they stated it was not an option. I'd like to have the 7b as well.

Nothing truthfully I just like the short form factor and the 6x erector on the Gen IIs. Though an ultra short AMG would alleviate the entire issue.
I would buy two right now.

Just curious where you heard this, as I'd love for it to be true!

Just general internet scuttlebut and Rob01 has said in another thread we would be pretty happy with shot show in regards to reticle/gen ii.

Reactions: Basher
I would buy two right now.

Ya i think Vortex is missing an Ultra short under the AMG category. A 3-18, 3-15, or even 4-16 that was comparably lighter than the rest and below 13" with all the features of the current AMG would be extremely hard to pass up on a hunting rig for $2500.

Reactions: bob7-08