• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AR thread

Rockhopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
'couve, wa
Alright. I am pretty confused and not sure what to do. I am building an SPR.

I keep reading that a 1-4 is the best suited for an AR. I am really drawn to the vortex scopes. However, I am really drawn to the new 2.5-10 x 32 FFP viper pst. But I am worried that I will hate this scope on the lower power with the FFP. So I am really confused as to what would work well for my use. If the FFP is too small @ 2.5 power, would I appreciate the 4-16 FFP pst more? Or should i just stick to the 1-4 pst? I am also considering the 4-16 hs-t since it is sfp and maybe more suited? This is going to be a range gun and a varmit gun.

the 4 scopes in question are the:

1-4 pst
2.5-10 pst ffp
4-16 pst ffp
4-16 hs-t sfp

please help me. this is my first AR and i am new to this.

I just bought my second 2.5-10x32 pst in mrad. It went on my FN SCAR 16s which is .223. I only shoot it to maybe 300 yards max but the magnification range is a good fit for my shooting purposes which is a lightweight range plinker. I personally don't find the reticle too small at 2.5x to use as a crosshair duplex. It would not be very practical to do much ranging at that magnification.

I actually had on there a Premier LT 3-15x50 which was way too much scope and looked silly. If you're shooting .223 as well you probably don't need 4-16x, and this is coming from a guy who likes to over scope his guns.

I agree with Ego235. The Viper 2.5X10 would be more the enough for 223 AR for varmit shooting. I have an ACOG on my HK556 for larger steel targets out to 300, but for better accuracy bolt action rifle are the only way to go. They'll out shoot ARs in any caliber and conditions. Since I got into bolt action rifles, I don't shoot or enjoy my ARs as much. Use much less ammo and much more accurate and precise shooting with a bolt rifle. If I want to blow off steam for some "recoil therapy", then my AR comes out with the 30 round magazines and several hundred rounds down range in 15-20 minutes. Shooting a bolt action rifle is totally different. Only 30-40 rounds over 2-3 hours, shooting steel at 300-500 yds, usually 1/2 MOA on targets if the wind cooperates!

The 2.5-10x30 PST is in my opinion the perfect solution for an AR scope. Im waiting on funds to put it on my mk12 I have sitting around glass-less. Its a damn shame. But a TON of people think the vortex 2.5-10 is quite possibly their best scope they have ever released.

I have the 2.5-10 ffp and its perfect on my 18" ar. Its better glass than my pst 6-24ffp. I'm lookng to get another 2.5-10 sfp for my custom .22 wmr , so yes I would highly recomend them.

On my SPR I have a 2.5-10x32. My Recce a 1-4. I would go for the 2.5-10 on your build as it suits the rifle very well.

I have a TR24 1-4x with a green triangle reticle on order for my POF P415 and a VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x on my LMT MWS, but I am planning on getting a 1-6x or maybe even a 1-8x for the LMT whenever I find one that I like. I prefer "1x"-style scopes for my AR-type weapons as opposed to a high-powered scope/RDS combo. Low-power variable scopes on QD mounts and some good BUIS are the way I prefer to run to save weight, space, and generally keep things simple.

Depending on you eyesight the 1-4 or the 2-5 FFP reticle may be to small to do any ranging. I find that the 4-16X50 is the lowest power (4X) that I can use for anything other than using the reticle as a duplex one. Tried the 2.5, great scope but not for my eyesight.

I don't think any scope manufacturer recommends ranging at the lowest power setting any ways. It makes no. Sense when you have higher magnification on tap.

With illumantion set on 10 the reticle on the x32 is plenty useable in mid day sun at 2.5x. Not for ranging but for target acquisition. I've got it on my hunting ar so I keep it on 2.5 when walking around and have no problem at 2.5 for the near shots. Have used it to shoot 12" rocks to 500yds with my 300blk so it qorks. Great ar scope for stretching it out while keep size small.
20130703_122250_zpse0fd1fd0.jpg

Rockhopper,

I have an SPR onto which I mounted Vortex's 2.5-10 x 44 scope, with the MOA reticle/ turret. I realize it isn't exactly what you're considering, but...

I haven't done any ranging with it, and it usually stays at the 10x setting, but I have found that to be enough to shoot good groups at 100. A few days ago, I used it at 600 with favorable results. Glass is good, reticle is nice, manual is well written and thought out...

My semi-auto .308 has a 3.5-15 scope, and I like the extra magnification, but I shoot that farther.

I think of the/ my SPR as a "precision" AR without the bother of a long, heavy varmint barrel. My desire for that extra magnification might win out someday, but for now, I like the look and feel of the 2.5-10 on this rifle. That said, I think the 1-4 option isn't enough on the range (depending on your range's range).

And not that you have asked for it, but would you consider the 2.5-10 44 scope (a second focal plane, the one I have), which is cheaper and then get Vortex's Spark or Strikefire? Mount the scope on a QR mount. This would be a very flexible combination. Since your SPR is--at the moment--is your only AR, it's going to be a jack of all trades. I feel like the 1-4 and the 4-16 are a little specialized.

Edit: The scope I have has multipliers on the zoom ring so you know how to adjust the hash marks on the reticle. The manual does a good job of explaining this but basically, at 10x, the hash marks are 1MOA. At 8x zoom, the marks are adjusted by "Y," at 6x, they are adjusted by "Z," etc...

Last edited: